2 of 6
Do Christians believe that the miracles in other major religions are true?
Posted: 17 June 2009 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

But you didn’t Clay. You evaded her question. You didn’t explain why you believe miracles in the bible and nowhere else.

I never said that I believe in miracles in the Bible and no where else.  I just explained that, based on what I know of the Qu’ran, I do not believe that Muhammad flew to heaven on a white horse.  Every miraculous claim can be weighed individually.

If the bible reports miracles, then how good can it’s history be?

This is an a priori assumption that the reports of miracles in the Bible are false because miracles are impossible, which I don’t believe and I won’t teach my daughter to believe.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 17 June 2009 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Will you teach your daughter that miracles are unproven?

Is not that the truth?

Or will you just use the ‘anything is possible’ cop out?

Are you going to teach her that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

I’ll wager not.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 June 2009 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16

Will you teach your daughter that miracles are unproven?

Unproven…as in unable to be repeated or tested?  Sure. 

Is not that the truth?

It is the truth that they are unproven but not that unproven means it is untrue…if you catch my drift.

Are you going to teach her that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

I will teach her that our biblical worldview requires seeing all of life through the lens of Scripture.  She will have to decide ultimately whether she believes the extraordinary claims of Scripture and put her faith in Christ or not.  Until then, she will be taught that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom and God’s Word provides the only consistent view of reality and the basis for a joyful life.  What she does with that knowledge will be her choice…

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

A worldview based on fear and worship.

Sick and twisted clay. You belong in the first century.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
clayforHim648 - 17 June 2009 10:10 PM

But you didn’t Clay. You evaded her question. You didn’t explain why you believe miracles in the bible and nowhere else.

I never said that I believe in miracles in the Bible and no where else.  I just explained that, based on what I know of the Qu’ran, I do not believe that Muhammad flew to heaven on a white horse.  Every miraculous claim can be weighed individually.

Bullshit Clay. She asked why you believe things in the bible that are even “more miraculous”. Explaining why you don’t believe in the Qu’ran is not the same as explaining why you DO believe things from the bible that are even more unbelievable.

And that of course is what we all want to know. We are all familiar with the countless reasons NOT to believe any of this crap.

Your words, answer the question.

If my intuitive child asks me why I believe more miraculous claims in the Christian Bible

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 18 June 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-20
clayforHim648 - 17 June 2009 11:19 PM

the fear of God .....provides the only consistent view of reality….

Definitely, sick, twisted individual.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 18 June 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16

Explaining why you don’t believe in the Qu’ran is not the same as explaining why you DO believe things from the bible that are even more unbelievable.

And that of course is what we all want to know. We are all familiar with the countless reasons NOT to believe any of this crap.

I am convinced that the Bible is a true testimony of God and man…therefore I have every reason to affirm the miracles therein.  I believe the presuppositions of Scripture are necessary to understand the world in a rational, logical sense.  I think the biblical worldview is the least contradictory I’ve encountered and the one that comports most with reality.  When one is not limited by “natural” explanations for all existence, miracles are not a problem. 

You can see it that way…I think you may be jumping to conclusions, but that’s fine if that’s your opinion.  I have confidence, though, in being consistent and non-contradictory as a Christian.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-24
Traces Elk - 17 June 2009 02:24 AM

My reaction happens to be something in between side-splitting guffawing and projectile vomiting.

Please point your mouth away from me when you have these reactions. Thank you.

Posted: 18 June 2009 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-24
teuchter - 17 June 2009 07:19 PM
Eugenie - 17 June 2009 12:22 AM

I believe in the miracles recorded about Jesus and his apostles, because I have had my own experiences with Jesus which have caused me to believe.

Ask your doctor if thorazine is right for you.

My doctor, who is more educated than you, has also had his own experiences with Jesus which cause him to believe.  Shucks.

Posted: 18 June 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-20
clayforHim648 - 18 June 2009 08:06 PM

Explaining why you don’t believe in the Qu’ran is not the same as explaining why you DO believe things from the bible that are even more unbelievable.

I am convinced that the Bible is a true testimony of God and man…therefore I have every reason to affirm the miracles therein.

You can see it that way…I think you may be jumping to conclusions, but that’s fine if that’s your opinion.  I have confidence, though, in being consistent and non-contradictory as a Christian.

Clay, all you are saying that you are “convinced” so you “believe” without telling us (or yourself), why you are convinced and believe. You got a real blind spot here.
I think you are twisted because you see virtue in convincing your child that the best way to perceive reality is through fear. We should keep your kind away from children. If we see you lurking around the playground, we going to have to report you.

[ Edited: 18 June 2009 10:06 PM by eucaryote]
 Signature 

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 18 June 2009 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-20
Eugenie - 19 June 2009 12:16 AM

My doctor, ... has also had his own experiences with Jesus ...

Probably you and your doctor have been blowing coke in a hot tub with jesus, eh? grin

Signature 

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 18 June 2009 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I am convinced that the Bible is a true testimony of God and man…therefore I have every reason to affirm the miracles therein.  I believe the presuppositions of Scripture are necessary to understand the world in a rational, logical sense.  I think the biblical worldview is the least contradictory I’ve encountered and the one that comports most with reality.  When one is not limited by “natural” explanations for all existence, miracles are not a problem.

In short:
I have so little sense of intellectual responsibility and integrity that I can actually choose to believe pretty much what I want to believe without being burdened in the slightest by any kind of standards of evidence or epistemology.

You affirm that you have zero intellectual credibility pretty much every time you attempt to make an argument, Clay, consistently demonstrating the rational bankruptcy of religious faith.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 19 June 2009 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-05

Clay is a typical type of Christian that I have come to know well. Just downplay and dismiss the significance of intellectualism and science and just have faith and believe.

It is, I suppose, much easier to deal with reality by simply ignoring it. Self delusion is a lot of fun. Just make it up as you go. Cherry pick what you want out of some bronze aged text and ignore what you don’t want.

Cool!

And then pass that worldview on to your children.

And we wonder why we have so many dysfunctional people in our modern society?

10,000 religions in the last 10,000 years, all human constructs, but yet…clay has found the one true path.

Amazing.

Signature 

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 19 June 2009 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
Eugenie - 19 June 2009 12:16 AM

My doctor, who is more educated than you, has also had his own experiences with Jesus which cause him to believe.

No doubt a few of them revolve around the use of a gerbil and a tube of K-Y jelly.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Clay, what you and your brethren fail to see is that the miracle nonsense in the Bible, and your adoption of this nonsense as fact, has eclipsed what were interesting new ideas for Jews and Gentiles. They, along with you and your Christian hordes, and practically everyone else continue to think that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is the way to solve the world’s problems. 

You have much more in common with us atheists than you do with Jesus and his ideas.  It isn’t hard for me to believe that some wandering preacher and faith healer had an epiphany, an illumination, that it was time for our species to forsake violence as a way of solving its problems.  You have completely lost the gist of this idea in a fog of tabloid reporting.  ‘DEAD PREACHER COMES BACK TO LIFE!
Reportedly tells astonished crowd that they can do the same.’

Besides their fascination with 2000 year-old tabloid reporting and their thirst for life everlasting, most Christians feel no affinity whatsoever for Jesus’ message.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

2 of 6

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed