1 of 2
‘COLLAPSE’ and the APOCALYPSE
Posted: 07 July 2009 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Is the looming collapse of the global environment synonymous with fundamentalist Christianity’s ranting about the looming apocalypse?

In his ‘Letter to a Christian Nation’ San Harris points out that nearly half of the American population is convinced that Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead sometime in the next fifty years.  As a result, they don’t give a fig about the fate of civilization or the environment.

Harris writes, “According to the most common interpretation of biblical prophecy, Jesus will return only after things have gone horribly awry here on earth.”

Scientists are already warning us what will happen when densely populated coastal lowlands, like Bangledesh, are flooded, and displaced, starving millions push uncontrollably across international borders.  Who will help them?  The ‘Christian’ countries that contributed most to global disaster?  The ‘Christians’ who don’t give a damn because all this is just as they predicted and expected - standing in their little congregations waiting to go up the golden escalator?

http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-Societies-Choose-Fail-Succeed/dp/0670033375

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 07 July 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2008-07-14

Yes this is something I have thought about many times. I certainly feel that the Christian view here could easily be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I’m 100% sure that in the event of an environmental meltdown Christians will be more than ready to shout rapture. The REAL problems the human species face are protecting the ONE PLANET WE’VE GOT and UNCONTROLLED POPULATION GROWTH.

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19
unsmoked - 07 July 2009 03:40 PM

Is the looming collapse of the global environment synonymous with fundamentalist Christianity’s ranting about the looming apocalypse?

Right, and “blood up to the horses’ necks” refers to a Ford Mustang’s hood ornament. The ignorant hypocrites are going out bucking and whinnying just the same.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 07 July 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

With the fundies multiplying and intellectuals not breeding because of population explosion, there may be an imbalance of common sense and solutions to rapture ready mentality. Yeah, that’s a problem.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 07 July 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2008-05-28

I wonder if they thought the same thing in the 1400s when the Black Death decimated 1/3 of the world’s population. I believe nothing has threathened the existence of mankind as much since.

Signature 

“Despite the cost of living, it’s still popular”

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

According to best evidence, Jesus was most likely an apocalyptic Jew who went around preaching the end of the world within the lifetimes of those who heard him.  The synoptics mostly agree on this.  The “rapture” myth was manufactured during the first 250-300 years, but most Christians believe that this foolishness has some scriptural basis, when it was invented by the early apologists.

As Sam Harris says, if a mushroom cloud appeared over Jerusalem, there would be many who would welcome it.  Kind of makes you want to take a shower, doesn’t it?

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 07 July 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26
hampsteadpete - 07 July 2009 10:04 PM

As Sam Harris says, if a mushroom cloud appeared over Jerusalem, there would be many who would welcome it.  Kind of makes you want to take a shower, doesn’t it?

The ending of Religulous deals with this too.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 08 July 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19

Kind of makes you want to take a shower, doesn’t it?

You said it, brother! But even a bloody psychotic-style skin shredding scrub won’t wash the lunacy away. I like how in rab’s clip Bill Maher referred to believers as having a “neurological disorder.” It’s time ‘religiopathy’ be included in the DSM. To borrow from their view, “it’s treatable.” Why are these people roaming free in society? Oh yeah, they make up the greater part of it. If that’s as far as we got in the brain power department, evolution theory is in big trouble.

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 14 July 2009 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2007-04-03
goodgraydrab - 08 July 2009 05:37 PM

Kind of makes you want to take a shower, doesn’t it?

You said it, brother! But even a bloody psychotic-style skin shredding scrub won’t wash the lunacy away. I like how in rab’s clip Bill Maher referred to believers as having a “neurological disorder.” It’s time ‘religiopathy’ be included in the DSM. To borrow from their view, “it’s treatable.” Why are these people roaming free in society? Oh yeah, they make up the greater part of it. If that’s as far as we got in the brain power department, evolution theory is in big trouble.

There is nothing wrong with evolutionary theory. The problem is that evolution proceeds by punctuated equilibrium. We are coming to the end of long period of relative ease and equilibrium in which fantastical belief systems have been “good enough” to insure replication of the species. There has been no real evolutionary pressure to change. Global warming, overpopulation, and depleted resources will all probably contribute to the next inevitable punctuation event in which our species will either evolve or die.

Posted: 20 July 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  497
Joined  2006-06-15

Swine flu anyone? Or perhaps ... [three scary chords] ... the VACCINATION?

Signature 

Affiliation creates division. Friendship is better than membership.

Posted: 21 July 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

The ‘Christians’ who don’t give a damn because all this is just as they predicted and expected - standing in their little congregations waiting to go up the golden escalator?

Yeah, especially those ‘Christians’ who spend their lives running hospitals, orphanages, schools and churches in some of the most impoverished areas of the world. 

But you’re right, many of them will do exactly what the unbeliever does…sit on their ass, watch CNN, protect themselves, and send some money to some organization doing real work.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 22 July 2009 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19
clayforHim648 - 21 July 2009 05:55 PM

Yeah, especially those ‘Christians’ who spend their lives running hospitals, orphanages, schools and churches in some of the most impoverished areas of the world.

... and their underlying agenda is to convert the heathens to christianity while attempting to ensure themselves a ticket to heaven. You haven’t exactly been a boon for the prophylactic market.

But you’re right, many of them will do exactly what the unbeliever does…sit on their ass, watch CNN, protect themselves, and send some money to some organization doing real work.

“Protecting” ourselves and the rest of humanity from your oppressive delusional grip is about as worthy a cause as they come.

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 22 July 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

“Protecting” ourselves and the rest of humanity from your oppressive delusional grip is about as worthy a cause as they come.

How do you plan on doing that exactly?

... and their underlying agenda is to convert the heathens to christianity while attempting to ensure themselves a ticket to heaven. You haven’t exactly been a boon for the prophylactic market.

Actually, their underlying agenda is typically to “be holy as I [God] am holy.”  You might want to read Romans again concerning what exactly Christians believe gets them to Heaven, because it isn’t good works.  I’ll let you figure that one out on your own. 

I’ve got a good example for you though, as far as “agenda” goes.  One of the local churches that I attended and support has been sending church members bi-annually down to south Mississippi to help rehabilitate victims of Katrina for the past few years.  In the year after Katrina, Habitat for Humanity came down with all their pomp and circumstance and started building shelters for victims.  They helped a lot and provided a lot of aid.  The difference was in their “agenda”.  One of the leaders of the missionary group, an elder in the church, said they helped Habitat a couple days during their 10 day stay and realized how self-centered their motives actually seemed.  There was so much talk of how good they felt for helping people, it was hard to distinguish between charity and narcissistic self-praise. 

More importantly, where is Habitat now?  Our little church, with very little resources is able to send down 10-12 church members a couple times a year who have built relationships with people down there and have helped them with more than just building and rebuilding.  They’ve invested time and energy on their own dollar and made connections with them that a large, secular organization can’t do.  Did the church leave when no converts were made?  Of course not.  You can’t help but show your ignorant bias when you make comments like that. 

By the way, the church also has done the same thing in a very impoverished area of Belize, not to mention the missionaries they support from Spain, to the Czech Republic, to India, to the Congo, etc.  Am I trying to compete by saying that Christians do “more better” than their secular counterparts?  No.  Just trying to show you the ignorance in your own comments.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 22 July 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04
clayforHim648 - 22 July 2009 06:03 PM

One of the leaders of the missionary group, an elder in the church, said they helped Habitat a couple days during their 10 day stay and realized how self-centered their motives actually seemed.  There was so much talk of how good they felt for helping people, it was hard to distinguish between charity and narcissistic self-praise. 

You’re still a morally retarded moron, Clay. A fucking moron, actually. And you’re too stupid to understand why, so I’m not going to waste more pixels. Except, of course, to call you, once again, a fucking moron.  Dipshit.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 23 July 2009 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19

How do you plan on doing that exactly?

You know the fight and the arsenal.

Actually, their underlying agenda is typically to “be holy as I [God] am holy.”  You might want to read Romans again concerning what exactly Christians believe gets them to Heaven, because it isn’t good works.  I’ll let you figure that one out on your own.

I have, through my observation of the inconsistencies and variations in just what ‘Christians’ amongst themselves actually believe and practice.

One of the leaders of the missionary group, an elder in the church, said ...

Excuse me for not giving much credence to the opinion of one of your church elders. 

They’ve invested time and energy on their own dollar and made connections with them that a large, secular organization can’t do.

So has Brad Pitt, et al.

Am I trying to compete by saying that Christians do “more better” than their secular counterparts?  No.  Just trying to show you the ignorance in your own comments.

“More better”? Unsupportable. The U.S. government, and various world organizations, in providing taxpayer funded aid and assistance directly to countries, including money to your missionaries, probably has done “more better” (quantity and quality), but you can disregard secular efforts all you want. One thing is notable, science trumps god in regards to efficacy every time.

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 23 July 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

As GGD and others have been pointing out to you, much of the poverty, starvation, and disease in the world is caused by lack of family planning.  Christianity poses one of the biggest obstacles to family planning throughout the third world. 

How would you like to be born into a family of ten kids when there wasn’t even enough to support three kids?  How would you like to spend your childhood days on a smoldering garbage dump scavenging for scraps of food, or bits of glass and metal to sell for ten cents at the end of the day?

Your humanitarian ‘holy as I am holy’ friends are rolling up their sleeves to ease monumental suffering that their own whacko religion has caused.

Because fundamentalist Christians lobby against family planning efforts and stymie U.S. support of U.N. programs, thousands, if not millions of little girls are sold by their families for your God knows what.  In the film, ‘Slumdog Millionaire’, a little boy is blinded by pimps to make him a more effective beggar.  Do you think such things don’t really happen Mr. Holy As I Am Holy?

Tell me, why doesn’t your church support a family planning mission, and help distribute condoms?  Are you going to let us figure that one out on our own?

[ Edited: 24 July 2009 12:42 PM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed