Subspecies 2
Posted: 16 July 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

I tried to respond to the Elk on the subspecies topic but got the message, ‘You are not authorized to perform this action.’

My response:

Traces Elk,

There’s volumes of evidence that if you know that you are about to step over a cliff, your chances of avoiding it are better than if you don’t know.  This is something you can test at home.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 17 July 2009 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
unsmoked - 16 July 2009 05:16 PM

I tried to respond to the Elk on the subspecies topic but got the message, ‘You are not authorized to perform this action.’

My response:

Traces Elk,

There’s volumes of evidence that if you know that you are about to step over a cliff, your chances of avoiding it are better than if you don’t know.  This is something you can test at home.

The action that you are not authorized to perform is, apparently, thinking. You believe, apparently, that what’s true of an individual is true of a species. I think this is called the “fallacy of composition”. Once you begin to decompose, you’ll understand at last.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 17 July 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

What cliff? I don’t see any cliff. This is just what I call an elevated or ‘nice’ view.

Chula vista MOFO!

I won’t step or fall down. God will protect me as he protects our domain.

Excuse me now while I go spread around some decomposition in my garden.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 17 July 2009 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20
Traces Elk - 17 July 2009 01:18 PM
unsmoked - 16 July 2009 05:16 PM

My response:

Traces Elk,

The action that you are not authorized to perform is, apparently, thinking. You believe, apparently, that what’s true of an individual is true of a species. I think this is called the “fallacy of composition”. Once you begin to decompose, you’ll understand at last.

The BPOE, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, was formed in 1868.  At that time they called themselves the Jolly Corks.  The head honcho is called the Exalted Ruler.  Number 2 in the hierarchy is called the Esteemed Leading Knight.  Number 3 is the Esteemed Loyal Knight, and number 4 is the Esteemed Lecturing Knight.

Presently I’m trying to find out if the Esteemed Lecturing Knight wears a pointed, knitted, Peruvian hat.

To become a member of the BPOE you have to be a U.S. citizen, over 21, and believe in God.  Atheists are excluded.  African Americans were admitted in the 1970’s and women in the 1990’s.

I see where the Esteemed Lecturing Knight recently gave a lecture at the Jolly Corks Tavern in Boston entitled, The Fallacy of Composition.

It’s true, and this is a confession, that what I find in my own nature I project onto the species at large.  If I was a rabbit, or an Elk, (God forbid!) I would probably do the same.
As a rabbit, if I liked clover I would jump to the conclusion that all rabbits liked clover.

Recently, with the help of the Esteemed Lecturing Knight and others, it has come to my attention that humans are more diverse than rabbits.  Terminator games as entertainment, foreign policy, and religious prophecy haven’t inspired me yet.  Left out, and seeking solace in the old days when I was one of the natives, I Google-earthed the fields in UK where I played as a child.  I found myself looking down on an International Airport on one side of the river, and a massive sewage treatment plant on the other.  As a child, those green fields sported cows, rows of hawthorn trees, turnips, tank barriers, anti-aircraft placements, rolls of barbed wire and land mines; now they’re all spoiled.

[ Edited: 18 July 2009 05:10 PM by unsmoked]
 Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed