No god but God : The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam
Posted: 02 March 2006 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-01-27

Hi, I was wondering if anybody have any thoughts on Reza Aslan's book No god but God : The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam ; from what I have heard it is described as an objective, accurate potrayal of the history and future if islam. I have not read the book yet.

Posted: 14 March 2006 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-03-06
[quote author=“wkramer”]Hi, I was wondering if anybody have any thoughts on Reza Aslan’s book No god but God : The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam ; from what I have heard it is described as an objective, accurate potrayal of the history and future if islam. I have not read the book yet.

I read it several months back. Before reading it I would have said I knew next to nothing about Islam, so I found it educational. Aslan is for the most part objective about the historical information. When interpreting what all this means for the future I found I could not share his optimism. He seemed to feel that the struggle is really *within* Islam, and somehow the moderates (again, where are they?) will prevail and we’ll all live happily ever after.

Posted: 14 March 2006 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22

No thanks.

[quote author=“reza aslan”]
So what we have to do is we need to figure out a way to express our American moral values to the Muslim world and the most concrete step we can take is to first and foremost address the problem with Palestine.

We need to take away the excuses that our ideological opponents have for blaming their problems on the United States. And the biggest excuse is the disproportionate power struggle between Israel and Palestine.

He’s placing the responsibility for the reform of Islam on the actions of the United States and Israel.

This is where that quote came from:

I’d look further down the page to the comments section:

[quote author=“Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi”]
Though I appreciate Mr. Aslan’s achievements, as an Iranian writer and activist, I must say that I fully disagree with him and so do a huge section of the members of the Iranian Student Movement inside Iran. What Mr. Aslan is, is another enthusiast of Islam who has the luxury of living OUTSIDE Iran and enjoys all that secular life has to offer him.

By all appearances, there are liberals in Islamic areas—but Reza Aslan does not seem to speak for them.

‹‹ Godchecker.com      John Gray - Straw Dogs ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed