TheChampion was right
Posted: 23 August 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-11-23

TheChampion once stated on this forum that the sales on DVD for Expelled would be huge. In Unscientific America, by Chris Mooney and Sheril Kirshenbaum they report that the ultimate earnings for Expelled were 7 million “making it the fifth highest grossing political documentary ever.” The does bode well for the state of science education in the country.

Signature 

...it has to put into the equation: the possibility that there is no God and nothing works for the best. I don’t necessarily subscribe to that view, but I don’t know what I do subscribe to. Why do I have to have a world view? I mean, when I wrote Cujo, I wasn’t even old enough to be president. Maybe when I’m frty or forty-five, but I don’t now. I’m just trying on all these hats.
-Stephen King

Posted: 23 August 2009 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1221
Joined  2008-07-20

There are good reasons to despair the state of education in every disclipline in America, but sales of this particularly nasty little bit of work wouldn’t be one of them.  Right wing front groups, secular and christian, buy this shit up and give it away to drive books by lunatics like Malken, and movies like this, up on the various best seller lists.

I can only imagine the glee with which right wing propagandists handed this crap out.  Here are excertps of a review from Atheist Central—Ray Comfort’s Blog

(By the way, “Atheist Central” is used here in the way “E-Bola Central” might be used in a public health web page)

Friday, March 28, 2008
Expelled Review

It’s 11:20 PM Friday night. We have just returned from watching a special Hollywood screening of Ben Stein’s “Expelled.” I didn’t know what to expect as this isn’t a Christian movie. But after seeing it, I can say that it is phenomenal. The highlight was watching the king of evolution, Richard Dawkins, fall off his throne, big-time. He melted like soft wax on a hot Vegas sidewalk in July. He went from a bold and confident man to a pathetic little mouse, in a moment. He even admitted that he isn’t an atheist. It was wonderful to see him so humbled by a few probing questions from Ben Stein.

I am going to do everything I can to promote this movie.

[…] Again, this is not a Christian movie. There’s no mention of the gospel—not even slightly. Ben Stein is Jewish. He took on this project because he is passionate about the Jewish holocaust, and he can see the same pattern in the United States that led up to Nazi Germany—the suppression of free thought. Blatant censorship. Evolutionists deny that Hitler (and his extermination of those who were weak) was motivated by Darwinism, but history attests to it. This is very clearly and undeniably documented in the film.

[…] So, again, please go to this movie, and don’t go alone. Take a group from your church. Take your neighbors. It could open an interesting dialogue.

I had never even heard of this little piece of crap, but it doesn’t surprise me that wingnuts of all stripes could buy up 7,000,000 units, or whatever the number is.  But if the 7 million isn’t units, but actual “earnings,” then virtually nobody has seen this thing.  If it sold for $10.00, that means they sold 700,000 units.  There are probably 700,000 people in the US who believe they have been victimized by space aliens administering anal probes.  So, I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Oh, wait, at Stein’s “Expelled” web page they are selling this thing for $27.00, meaning they would have to sell less than 260,000 units to have earnings of $7,000,000.00.  There are probably 260,000 people in the US who believe that the virgin mary has appeared in the mustard on a napkin they were using to eat a spicy dog from the 7-11.

So on balance, this film, like Champ himself, is probably best ignored.

Signature 

“I am one of the few people I know who has argued in print that torture may be an ethical necessity in our war on terror.”  Sam Harris October 17, 2005

Posted: 24 August 2009 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
teuchter - 23 August 2009 05:40 PM

So on balance, this film, like Champ himself, is probably best ignored.

Rather, even, like the right dozy wee nyaff whose avatar graces the OP in this thread.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 24 August 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-04-05

The “fifth highest-grossing political documentary ever”?  Seriously, that category is what—Michael Moore and…who else?

7 million dollars for a DVD is, frankly, chump change.

Signature 

“It isn’t paranoia- it’s a heightened awareness of reality.” —our resident conspiracy theorist takes a stand!

Posted: 25 August 2009 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  663
Joined  2008-05-22

“Expelled” made about 7.7 million.

Then “Religulous” made 13.1 million in theaters, and 6.8 million in DVD sales…. for a total of about 20 million dollars.

Then the Champion disappeared (February 21 was his last visit here).

Hmmmm….

[ Edited: 25 August 2009 08:41 AM by Josh]

Posted: 26 September 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25
Josh - 25 August 2009 12:39 PM

“Expelled” made about 7.7 million.

Then “Religulous” made 13.1 million in theaters, and 6.8 million in DVD sales…. for a total of about 20 million dollars.

Then the Champion disappeared (February 21 was his last visit here).

Hmmmm….

Sorry, been busy rearranging my sock drawer.

I told you that would happen. I knew Expelled would be huge in DVD. People like me don’t go to movies anymore. I rent them, but hardly a good one is seen. Just saw Grand Torino. That was good. Saw the Wrestler, which was good, a bit depressing, but good. Saw Defiance, which was good. But almost all movies I have seen are bad.

Expelled was good. Religulous was entertaining, but built on straw arguments. Bill Maher, he always twists everything around to suit is view.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 26 September 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
TheChampion - 26 September 2009 05:37 PM

I told you that would happen. I knew Expelled would be huge in DVD. People like me don’t go to movies anymore. I rent them, but hardly a good one is seen. Just saw Grand Torino. That was good. Saw the Wrestler, which was good, a bit depressing, but good. Saw Defiance, which was good. But almost all movies I have seen are bad.

Expelled was good. Religulous was entertaining, but built on straw arguments. Bill Maher, he always twists everything around to suit is view.

You think $1,977,739 in 11 months is huge for DVD sales? Sorry, but Religulous has been out on DVD for only seven months and has pulled in $7,004,024. Looks like straw beats hot air.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 26 September 2009 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25
camanintx - 26 September 2009 07:40 PM
TheChampion - 26 September 2009 05:37 PM

You think $1,977,739 in 11 months is huge for DVD sales? Sorry, but Religulous has been out on DVD for only seven months and has pulled in $7,004,024. Looks like straw beats hot air.

Really? Ugh, didn’t know that. Dangit. Who is buying all these atheist DVDs?

Oh well, Expelled was better in my book.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 03 October 2009 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

‘Who is buying all these atheist DVDs?’

Curious thinking people? Duh.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed