BAU:  Right Wing Family Values Champion—Caught bragging about extramarital affairs.
Posted: 09 September 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  2007-08-07

Business As Usual:

Michael Duvall is a conservative Republican state representative from Orange County, California. While waiting for the start of a legislative hearing in July, the 54-year-old married father of two and family values champion began describing, for the benefit of a colleague seated next to him, his ongoing affairs with two different women. In very graphic detail.

For instance:

She wears little eye-patch underwear. So, the other day she came here with her underwear, Thursday. And? so, we had made love Wednesday—a lot! And so she’ll, she’s all, ‘I am going ?up and down the stairs, and you’re dripping out of me!’ So messy!

Duvall’s sophomoric braggadocio, of course, was picked up by the microphone in front of him, and wound up on a tape for the legislature’s in-house TV station. From there it was sent to a local news station, KCAL, which ran this full report last night

This story, of course, just wouldn’t be the same if Duvall—a former mayor of Yorba Linda and the owner of an insurance company—weren’t known as a strict conservative and a staunch defender of family values. But alas, he is.

As the OC Weekly reports, ?Duvall has “blasted” efforts to promote gay marriage, and got a 100 percent score from the Capitol Resource Institute, which describes its mission as to “educate, advocate, protect, and defend family-friendly policies in the California state legislature”. In March, a spokeswoman for the group called Duvall “a consistent trooper for the conservative causes,” adding that “for the last two years, he has voted time and time again to protect and preserve family values in California.”

In addition, says the paper:

He has offered a law to alter the First Amendment rights of Americans by? banning anti-war activists from putting the names of fallen soldiers on ?T-shirts with messages such as “Bush lied” on the front and “They died” on the back; he observed that the dead soldiers fought to protect freedom, and “opportunists” should not be allowed to “exploit” the sacrifices with political messages opposing war.?

Throughout the day yesterday, Duvall evaded reporters’ efforts to talk to him about his comments, fleeing several times down the Capitol’s corridors.

I guess by this time, these kinds of stories are becoming just boring.  Well, mebbe not.

Link

[ Edited: 09 September 2009 01:37 PM by Keep The Reason]
 Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 09 September 2009 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-07

And of course… the inevitable resignation, lol

And the inevitable fact that the hot young blonde who did the nasty with this fat old guy was… a lobbyist.

Duvall Resigns After Sex Bragging
September 9, 2009, 4:05PM

That was quick. Mike Duvall has resigned from public office.

In a statement on his campaign website, he wrote:

I am deeply saddened that my inappropriate comments have become a major distraction for my colleagues in the Assembly, who are working hard on the very serious problems facing our state. I have come to the conclusion that it would not be fair to my family, my constituents or to my friends on both sides of the aisle to remain in office. Therefore, I have decided to resign my office, effective immediately, so that the Assembly can get back to work.

Duvall’s action came after the married California GOP lawmaker and family values champion was caught on a hot mic bragging graphically to a colleague about his affairs with two women—one of whom is an energy lobbyist.

Link

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 09 September 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-09-16

I guess by this time, these kinds of stories are becoming just boring.  Well, mebbe not.

People love to see someone fail hard.

Signature 

“If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.” -Epictetus

Posted: 09 September 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20
clayforHim648 - 09 September 2009 05:48 PM

Clay, do you understand the difference between your nobody-neighbor cheating and an elected official entrusted with the levers of power over the people?  Do you understand the difference between an admitted rake who cheats and a hypocrite?

We love to see hypocrites fall hard.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 09 September 2009 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-07
Skipshot - 09 September 2009 07:52 PM

We love to see hypocrites fall hard.

Maybe “pride cometh before a fall” is apropos?

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 11 September 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19
clayforHim648 - 09 September 2009 05:48 PM

I second Skippy’s ‘hypocrite’ assertion with the addition of ‘religious’, especially Christian, hypocrites.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 11 September 2009 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Assholes who want power use religion to dupe followers into supporting them.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 11 September 2009 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16

So do you guys really care about the personal lives of politicians?  I mean, does it matter that politician’s personal life and choices comport with their political views and votes?

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-07
clayforHim648 - 11 September 2009 09:23 PM

So do you guys really care about the personal lives of politicians?  I mean, does it matter that politician’s personal life and choices comport with their political views and votes?

Only those who set themselves up as our moral arbiters, and choose to not apply their own standards to themselves.

I assume you are harking back to the days of investigating Clinton for his Lewinsky incident.

Let’s say Clinton was running around saying, “Anyone who gets a blowjob outside of marriage should be thrown into jail—there should be a law forbidding blowjobs outside of marriage!”  Let’s say he was voting to enact such laws.  And then let’s say it was discovered he was getting blowjobs outside of marriage.  That would have been a full betrayal of ethics.

You can have an opinion of whether or not Clinton was a man of character or not.  I’ll even grant you in his sexual escapades, he was a terrible example of an ethical man.  But he never went around insisting I had to follow a law he exempted himself from.

This politician’s personal behavior did not jibe with his political posturing.  He would enact laws that would force you to behave in one way, while he got to behave in a way directly contradictory.  That says a hell of a lot more about the degree of corruption we’re dealing with.  That doesn’t mean infidelity is not a degree of corruption, but infidelity plus utter political hypocrisy tells us that we have a fully corrupted man on our hands.

Do you really not get these differences?

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

Posted: 12 September 2009 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2006-10-20
clayforHim648 - 11 September 2009 09:23 PM

It’s obvious you are covering for a fellow Republican and religious nutjob, or you are pretending to be dense just to get our goats. 

Did you read the story, clay?  He bragged about sleeping with a lobbyist who represented a company that had business with a committee of which he was the chairman.  Do you not understand ‘conflict of interest’? 

Nor has the dirtball denied what he said about his cheating.  Do you understand the difference between sleeping with a hooker, or even a local lonely housewife, and sleeping with someone who may be doing it for political favors?  Plus what KTR said.

Signature 

“All extremists should be killed!” - neighbor’s bumper sticker

Posted: 12 September 2009 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2006-01-22

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, LMFAO! C’mon conservative fundies, you’re making this too easy, ha-ha-ha…..yer killing me!

Signature 

“Gentlemen, there is no fighting in the war room”

Posted: 14 September 2009 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-16

Only those who set themselves up as our moral arbiters, and choose to not apply their own standards to themselves.

Do you really not get these differences?

I’m just asking a question.  I understand the irony and disgust concerning the fall of a “family values” politician in this way.  And yes I understand the hypocrisy (remember Jesus and the Pharisees).  But the reality is, any married politician with kids, whether he’s a right winged family values nut or not, in my opinion, should be held accountable.  Just because Clinton wasn’t a bible-thumping pro-family advocate doesn’t make me feel any better about the fact that he was getting blowjobs in the oval office and lied to the American public.  I mean, if you even put aside the fact that Clinton is an adulterous moron, he got on national television and told America, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.”  What does that tell you about someone’s character?  And he wasn’t on trial for committing adultery, he was on trial for perjury and obstruction of justice!

But that brings me back to my question.  Does it matter to you?  Does it matter that Clinton is a slimy liar?  ABC News summarized the American view of Clinton saying, “You can’t trust him, he’s got weak morals and ethics – and he’s done a heck of a good job.”  I don’t know much about this California guy.  Maybe he’s bad at his job AND he’s a sneaky adulterous slimeball.  But maybe he’s really good at what he does.  I mean whether this guy had boffed two lobbyists or not, liberals wouldn’t like him because he’s all about “family values”, which probably means he’s anti-abortion and pro-traditional marriage (I can’t say for sure, again, because I don’t know).  If you loved the guys politics and he enacted policies you liked, would you care as much that he’s cheating and disgracing his wife and two kids?  That’s my question.

And no I’m not defending some religious nut or politician.  Jesus was most critical of the bigoted religious leadership and most comforting to the lowly and the humble.  Yes, it is extra disappointing that a politician who promotes family values would fall into this kind of disgrace, but I’m not going to fall victim to pretending that he is somehow worse than anyone else, much less me.  How many times have I led people to believe that I’m something more than I really am?  I would prefer to have politicians who are great moral men, and who don’t let it go to their heads.  I would prefer the ones that do the right thing before they get “caught”.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2009 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-07
clayforHim648 - 15 September 2009 01:10 AM

I’m just asking a question.  I understand the irony and disgust concerning the fall of a “family values” politician in this way.  And yes I understand the hypocrisy (remember Jesus and the Pharisees).  But the reality is, any married politician with kids, whether he’s a right winged family values nut or not, in my opinion, should be held accountable.  Just because Clinton wasn’t a bible-thumping pro-family advocate doesn’t make me feel any better about the fact that he was getting blowjobs in the oval office and lied to the American public.  I mean, if you even put aside the fact that Clinton is an adulterous moron, he got on national television and told America, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.”  What does that tell you about someone’s character?  And he wasn’t on trial for committing adultery, he was on trial for perjury and obstruction of justice!

But that brings me back to my question.  Does it matter to you?  Does it matter that Clinton is a slimy liar?

Yes—to answer the ethical quesiton head on—of course it does.  But there’s mitigating circumstances.  I felt that Clinton was attacked immediately (before even taking the oath), and I was sick and tired of unrelenting right wing attacks long before his Lewisnsky escapade.  In my personal life, I’ve been around since Eisenhower (though was an unaware infant at the time) and came to political awareness during the LBJ / Nixon era.  Clinton was a decent president, who was never given a chance, and the right week sought ever means imaginable to discredit the guy.

So—when Ken Starr began spending millions of taxpayer dollars on the investigaiton of a blow job, I had had enough.  This doesn’t change the in-a-vacuum response to the “did I find Clinton behavior reprehensible” question—I did.  But it actually paled in comparison to the unethical way the man was being hounded from even before day one.

Now along comes this holier-than-thou family values douchebag, who’s vastly slimier than Clinto was—who pretends to be some moral stalwart.  Who’s done nothing of merit in his political career, and whose fall isn’t going to throw the entire country into chaos (like the attacks on Clinton did).  So yeah, I’d give a pss to Clinton in a way I wouldn’t give to this guy, even though they both—in the final analysis—showed deeply flawed character traits.

But it goes even further.  If Duvall was a positive motivating force for good and progress, I’d be more inclined to forgive him his flawed conduct.  Why?  Because I weigh the flaw against the good.  It’s an “ROI” analysis:  Do we realize a better return on investment on someone despite the fact they may have behaved oin some unsavory manner.  Clinton scores high on the analysis, Duvall doesn’t register at all.

Finally, I don’t disagree with the Christian approach of forgiveness of people (though it’s not uniquely Christian).  I’m fine with “go and sin no more”.  If Duvall goes and sins no more, my opinion of his flaws will be different from what it is today.  I’ve yet to hear of Clinton being caught at this again (and he’s an easy target for it), and so, now some 11 years after the event, I’m not so concerned about Clinton’s moral fiber.

ABC News summarized the American view of Clinton saying, “You can’t trust him, he’s got weak morals and ethics – and he’s done a heck of a good job.”  I don’t know much about this California guy.  Maybe he’s bad at his job AND he’s a sneaky adulterous slimeball.  But maybe he’s really good at what he does.  I mean whether this guy had boffed two lobbyists or not, liberals wouldn’t like him because he’s all about “family values”, which probably means he’s anti-abortion and pro-traditional marriage (I can’t say for sure, again, because I don’t know).  If you loved the guys politics and he enacted policies you liked, would you care as much that he’s cheating and disgracing his wife and two kids?  That’s my question.

Yeah.  I would.  And I believed Clinton should have been censured for his lying to the Grand Jury.  At the same time, I think he should have just been honest about his dishonesty. 

And no I’m not defending some religious nut or politician.  Jesus was most critical of the bigoted religious leadership and most comforting to the lowly and the humble.  Yes, it is extra disappointing that a politician who promotes family values would fall into this kind of disgrace, but I’m not going to fall victim to pretending that he is somehow worse than anyone else, much less me.  How many times have I led people to believe that I’m something more than I really am?  I would prefer to have politicians who are great moral men, and who don’t let it go to their heads.  I would prefer the ones that do the right thing before they get “caught”.

I’m in total agreement with you on that.  But the ROI elements is where the difference lies.  Humans are flawed.  They’re going to make mistakes.  And in the end, it depends on the circumstances.  With Clinton, there were far bigger fish to fry.  With Duval, he is the fish to fry.

Signature 

Faith-free since 1985

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed