Al Sharpton debates a guy named Tony Perkins on Hardball
Posted: 29 March 2006 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

I was watching MSNBC (because I'm a sucker for punishment) and Chris Mathews had a guy named Tony Perkins (no relation to the late actor) debating Al Sharpton.

This Perkins guy was saying that Tom DeLay is getting picked on so much because of his religious beliefs (I kid you not!). Sharpton comes back (needless to say, he won that debate fair and square) and says that Delay's brand of Christianity includes bribery, supporting sweat shops, and redistricting to divide by racial lines. Sharpton said that the only war on Christianity is the type of Christianity that Delay and his pals are presenting to the public.

What really ticked me off and made me shut off the TV was when Mathews comes back and AGREES with Tony, saying that he believes there is a war on Christianity going on!

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 29 March 2006 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  872
Joined  2006-02-16

rab

Sharpton comes back (needless to say, he won that debate fair and square) and says that Delay’s brand of Christianity includes bribery, supporting sweat shops, and redistricting to divide by racial lines

I didn’t see the debate but I wanted to comment about the redistricting. The U.S Supreme Court ruled redistricting as legal and even commented that the new lines were more racially far than the old ones.
And as an aside, The Democrats had the majority in the Texas state house for 136 years and they redrew the lines every ten years so that became the tradition. How many of those times do you think they did it to strengthen Republican interests?

One other question, do you think that Sharpton doesn’t divide by racial lines?  I don’t believe it about Delay, there is quite a bit of diversity in Houston. He is certainly more tolerant the Sharpton

Posted: 30 March 2006 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

No, DeLay is NOT more tolerant than Sharpton. DeLay supports the sweatshops in Saipan. The young woman who work in these shops are victimized and forced to have abortions so that they can keep working without any time off.

Check this out from Wikipedia:
Despite its status as a U.S. Commonwealth, Saipan is exempt from some federal laws, including key labor and immigration laws. As a result, a number of garment factories with wages around half of the U.S. minimum wage have been set up on the island to supply the U.S. market. Goods manufactured in U.S. Commonwealths, including Saipan, may be labeled “Made in the USA”.

In January 1999, a coalition of U.S.-based pressure groups and labor unions began a class action lawsuit on behalf of around 30,000 garment-industry workers who they claimed had been mistreated in such factories, being submitted to what was, in effect, indentured servitude. In April 2003, a settlement worth $20 million was reached with 27 garment manufacturers and 27 leading retailers, including The Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, and Polo Ralph Lauren. The firm of Levi Strauss & Co. refused to settle, however; in January 2004, the case against the company was dismissed. In 2005-2006, the issue of immigration and labor practices in Saipan (particularly with Tan Holdings Corporation) was brought up during the American political scandals of Congressman Tom DeLay and lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2006 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  872
Joined  2006-02-16

So Sharpton is more tolerant also than the Kathy Lee Giffords, Martha Stewarts and Nike and virtually everybody else that uses 3rd world countries for our manufacturing?

Posted: 02 April 2006 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-26

Obviously rolleyes

Signature 

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed