3 of 6
Sam's truthdig interview
Posted: 05 May 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

If you are going to reject faith by giving the Bible your own interpretation then rejecting your own interpretation, then all the power to you.

I am rejecting Aquinas’ interpretation.

I am rejecting the Pope’s interpretation.

I am rejecting the Inquisition’s interpretation.

I am rejecting Augustine’s interpretation.

I am rejecting Robert Tilton’s interpretation.

I am rejecting Pat Robertson’s interpretation.

I could go on, but I think you get the point = )

Now seriously Frankr, whose interpretation do you ascribe too?

Posted: 06 May 2006 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

I get the point. You believe that your interpretation of scripture (that it is false) is the correct one. You Iisbliss must be right because you think it. Please tell me where I can sign up to get lessons from someone so smart as you. If I knew you had rejected these interpretations for your own wise wonderful interpretation I would have sought your help earlier.

If you haven’t figured it out I follow the Roman Catholic interpretation. I mean I did until today when I learned that Iisbliss has her own interpretation. Now my whole world view is askew.

Posted: 06 May 2006 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-05-05

Hello, frank. Did you miss me? I left your heart a little while ago… oh wait, that was the grociery store. So easy it was to pick up a few thoughts and devotions… so very easy… at any rate, my friend interpretation is never a question of who is right and who is wrong. Do you beleive in god? No you believe in “God” with the big boy “G”. How are you to know that the people who wrote down “god” did not simply capitalize the “g” in an accident? or perhaps those who translated it from the earliest forms of language mis-INTERPRETED a letter to be an upper-case? This all boils down to this, dad is not pleased by what you are saying, and if you’d like to ammend to “your god” then please, do it in private. Do not attack people who happen to have their own views of scripture. Scripture is no more than a little bit of writing, defined to be religious. I wrote something a short while ago in poetic form, which highlights the beauties of the world around us… particularly in Egypt… please attempt to interpret those “scriptures” for me, we’ll see the devout narcissist you hold within.

“That wine made me a little tipsy, I never thought I could do so many things with bread and fish…”

-Jesus

Posted: 06 May 2006 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

frankr:

You believe that your interpretation of scripture (that it is false) is the correct one. You Iisbliss must be right because you think it.

No, Frank. Iisbliss is right because she has allowed herself to grow into her proper adulthood. You on the other hand remain held back, relying on ancient superstition and magical ways of thinking.

Frank, I honestly don’t mean to sound insulting here—just up front. If you were asked to comment on any one of the myriad other magical existential formulas that have infected human cultures, you’d say the same sorts of things, wouldn’t you?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 06 May 2006 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

Homunculus
Is Iisbliss right because her interpretation is yours or are you right because her interpretion is yours? I’m having trouble figuring out atheistic hierarchy here.

Posted: 06 May 2006 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

Frank, please get back to us when you’ve managed to assimilate an unusually simple concept. Again, no insult intended, though I realize I sound “harsh” at times. Humble Servant would probably call it something else.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 06 May 2006 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“homunculus”]Frank, please get back to us when you’ve managed to assimilate an unusually simple concept.

What kind of concept is homunculus? Is it a platonic concept that no one pursues anymore, or is it a practical scientific concept that you like to talk about?

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-05-05

Thank you , Mia….it’s still a miracle to me to have someone really listen to what I’m saying, even after almost seven years of living in the “desert of the real”.

Believers talk about being “born again”, but I feel that’s a more appropriate term for what happened to me when I decided to shed the strangulation of doctrine. Cast into the light of knowledge, alone and naked, cold and scared, I have come to see the beauty in real truth and the joy of the opening of the mind. It came at a price, a harsh one, as things do that are truly worth having.

It was as hard as you say, and harder, to acknowledge and face what I had suspected for so long without any support except whatever will I could muster to survive. The peace I had after leaving far surpassed anything that “belief” had ever given me.

Thank you for being out there, and for being brave and strong. I suspect there are more of us than we realize.  To have concrete evidence of it in the postings on this site actually brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for the welcome, too! I look forward to visiting here often!

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

It’s a fictitious name, Frank. I’m a fan of poetry and a certain amount of measured illusion—what can I say?

My parents named me Dave, by the way. I love the concept of a humunculous but that’s all it is (a concept).

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

[quote author=“frankr”]Homunculus
Is Iisbliss right because her interpretation is yours or are you right because her interpretion is yours? I’m having trouble figuring out atheistic hierarchy here.

homunculus is right…this is the simple concept frank…the book you are so worried about the “interpretation” of was written by men. Men who claimed to have communication with God. There were more than 66 books written of course, so some other men got together, much later, and decided which ones were “holy” and which weren’t. There is no valid reason to believe any of these people actually had a hotline to the Almighty, which means the authenticity of the book itself is in question. That also means….if the book is not authentic, then who cares whose interpretation is “right”?

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“surgikate”]Thank you , Mia….it’s still a miracle to me to have someone really listen to what I’m saying, even after almost seven years of living in the “desert of the real”.

Believers talk about being “born again”, but I feel that’s a more appropriate term for what happened to me when I decided to shed the strangulation of doctrine. Cast into the light of knowledge, alone and naked, cold and scared, I have come to see the beauty in real truth and the joy of the opening of the mind. It came at a price, a harsh one, as things do that are truly worth having.

It was as hard as you say, and harder, to acknowledge and face what I had suspected for so long without any support except whatever will I could muster to survive. The peace I had after leaving far surpassed anything that “belief” had ever given me.

Thank you for being out there, and for being brave and strong. I suspect there are more of us than we realize.  To have concrete evidence of it in the postings on this site actually brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you for the welcome, too! I look forward to visiting here often!

Surgikate, I can’t remember having read a more moving statement of rationality.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

homunculus….I have never felt more rational or had more clarity in my life than I do now. The irony of this, of course, is that my family feels I have lost my mind. They are wrong, of course….I have found it, at last.

Posted: 06 May 2006 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-11-13

Welcome to our circus Surgikate.

Posted: 06 May 2006 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2006-05-04

I did not talk to ANY of those guys that say they I said what they say I said. It is ALL nonsense and 3-D, surgikate, homunculus, mia, Iisbliss, and those others of you who have figured it out, rest assured, you are on the right path.

It’s simply absurd that I would let anyone speak for me, now isn’t it? Frankr, HS, TC, and the rest… take scripture for what it is… ink on paper, written by mortal men, who were not enlightened in any way except to believe that they could gain power and control people with wild and exotic stories, threats of burning in hell and never seeing your loved ones after death (how absurd that one is… after life, is death, that is all), and a fine reward for those who get others to follow the myths. Think about it for a while. I’m sure you have the capacity to realize your folly and get on track with the rest of these enlightened souls.

Later. god

Posted: 06 May 2006 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

thanks, 3-D…I am really enjoying myself for the first time in a long time!
and god….this is the first time I have ever heard you making sense ! It’s refreshing, to say the least!

3 of 6

‹‹ Forum Surfing      Internet Infidels! ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed