4 of 6
Internet Infidels!
Posted: 18 April 2006 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Mia”]All this romantic drama, and I had to be off doing TurboTax while it was percolating?! Argh!

Maybe Sam should add an “Ask Mia” topic heading—eh?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 18 April 2006 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

HS:

Women are…..
1. Faster
2. Stronger . . .

Are you in any way serious? What is your purpose with such easily refuted statements? I’m baffled. I am a simple sort of man myself who makes it a persistent habit to say only what he means. I frequently give URLs to confirm or substantiate my online assertions too, so that you have more to go on than just some faceless stranger’s comments.

Just for the “record” though:

American record for one mile: 
Men: 3:51.8 minutes, Steve Scott
Women: 4:20.5 minutes, Mary Slaney

Posted: 18 April 2006 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  872
Joined  2006-02-16

Ted Shepherd

Are you in any way serious? What is your purpose with such easily refuted statements? I’m baffled. I am a simple sort of man myself who makes it a persistent habit to say only what he means. I frequently give URLs to confirm or substantiate my online assertions too, so that you have more to go on than just some faceless stranger’s comments.

Relax Ted, I was being facetious. According to feminism and political correctness we are virtually identical. According to them men have no attributes that women don’t have, they are as capable as we are in just about everything except anything that would be deemed a bad trait.

Posted: 18 April 2006 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

<grumble> HS, how can I see the twinkle in your eye when the lights in here are so dim? </grumble>

Posted: 18 April 2006 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“Mia”]-

Makes sense. It’s what I think many people miss most once they shed a faith.

_

sure….but both genders suffer from that ‘loss’ - social networks are important to both/all gender types. Humans are social creatures.

Its also a social status that is gained by attending the particular denomination…for example:-  read the countless/millions of discussions - theological but mainly of ‘salespersonship’....selling a particular ‘product’ or denominaton….sense of esteem from being part of the ‘true’ or ‘biggest’ chruch.

You have a great team of Catholics on this chatroom ‘selling’ their brand label.  LOL

but what I haven’t accepted as ‘gospel’ is that women are getting what they need for the so called ‘social’ enagagement at church….or that there is an over representation of women in chruch.

Most of the figures….(ted i haven’t got them on me right now)...are talking about televangelists (evangelicals) who love to count heads…......yes that particular tactic attracts more women. Women are often lonely and isolated in western societies but I don’t think sitting in front of the TV or the computer (as is the custom of many outreach chruches) is giving women the ‘joy’ of companionship. I’d say ‘male’s are also online more in christian households particularly the families who have children. *shrugs*

Its also known - heresay and online confessionals….that chruch is THE BEST PLACE to met up with a potential sexual partner…whatever is your desire in that. Not just to ‘break bread’.......As an example how many christian leader’s have been caught out having sex inappropriately including hidden homosexuals who don’t want to be identified or caught out, pedophiles of course are always drawn to where the kids are. Btw I am not homophobic.

I can find alternative ‘research’ to any that is referenced here…..that’s just the way research is.

I think this link may satisfy the need for back up. I don’t have the time right now to add more.

I think a lot of info can be gleened from conducting a ‘content analysis’ of the sermons.  YOu could say that ...because of the focus on homosexuality and sex for example that the chruch (of any denomination) has a HUGE problem with it….and that the ‘faithful’ aren’t being so closed mouthed (so to speak)... LOL

I love to pull apart the sermons….this one is my fav.. 

Posted: 18 April 2006 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

fabulously famous online bibble..

Skepticsbible….and associated chatroom…

everything you ever wanted to know about….

Women
-Long List
-Short List
-In the Old Testament
-In the New Testament
-In the Quran
-In the Book of Mormon
-SAB DB Forum
-SAB Bookstore: Women

ReligiousTolerance.org
-Women in the Bible

Capella’s Guide to Atheism
-The Apostle Paul vs. Women

Posted: 01 May 2006 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2006-03-20

“Its also known - heresay and online confessionals….that chruch is THE BEST PLACE to met up with a potential sexual partner…whatever is your desire in that. Not just to ‘break bread’.......As an example how many christian leader’s have been caught out having sex inappropriately including hidden homosexuals who don’t want to be identified or caught out,

focus on .... sex for example… that the chruch (of any denomination) has a HUGE problem with it….and that the ‘faithful’ aren’t being so closed mouthed (so to speak)... lol

Wow, you are onto something friend.

Many times I complain about the lack of suitable women prospects and family or friends reply “go to church, there are plenty of prospects there.” (I failed to tell them I didn’t want a religious woman.)

I dated a religious woman, who was a teacher for five years before I eventually swore off women in 1995.

I was into a heavy commitment and sexual love affair with her. She screwed around behind my back and lamely said she had been “backsliding”.

As our relationship ended, I found out she was going to a Mormon church. She is allegedly married now to a guy in that sect.
She had told me anecdotes from her second husband, about heading to church to look for sexual prospects. She followed in his footsteps….

I think a lot more is happening (behind the scenes)in terms of sex in all churches. That was why I complained to Mia about how to find a good woman who wasn’t religious. To be honest, I don’t trust them anymore. The more they pontificate, the less I trust them. But my point is still valid and true most women are susceptible to religion and there are hardly any women out there who are non-religious, unless you count whores and prostitutes, and I’m not interested in them as a mate or even a friend.

I think women are genetically more prone to believe in God. But why?

Posted: 01 May 2006 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“SkepticX”]

I’d be allllll over that 8).

Just promise me that if you’re having doubts about the wording of your ad, I am your girl. If you’re thinking, “Should I mention that I spend my off nights stalking the neighborhood and burning satanic symbols into people’s doors?”, then check with me first, for the sake of all womankind, I BEG YOU. I read through those things and my eyes bug out. I have to wash my eyeballs. Men who seem to live, breathe, scream and poop militant atheism completely freak me out. This stuff does not have to appear in manifesto form in your romantic profile,  people :D! Think about LOVE, think about longing!

[quote author=“Sartre2.0”]
. . . there are hardly any women out there who are non-religious, unless you count whores and prostitutes, and I’m not interested in them as a mate or even a friend.

Here’s hoping, Sartre, that the next female atheist you meet will not have to endure the question: “So, which is it—whore or prostitute?”  If you can’t resist, I can only hope you have very good reflexes.

LOL

I have a sneaking suspicion that non-theistic women are no harder to locate than *cough* faithful men wink. . . But seriously, I would have a good peek at those dating sites I referenced earlier. Seemed to me there were a lot of women listed, and they’ve already demonstrated their bravery in stating their truth, which is half the battle. As you say, the Christian label pretends to hide a multitude of sins.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 01 May 2006 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-16

Mia

I have a sneaking suspicion that non-theistic women are no harder to locate than *cough* faithful men .

I hate to break it to you Mia, but women are fast aproaching men for adulterous affairs. In fact it has long been known that married women might go out looking for the “best breeding stock” while they are ovulating.

Posted: 02 May 2006 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2006-03-20

[quote author=“Humble Servant”]Mia

I have a sneaking suspicion that non-theistic women are no harder to locate than *cough* faithful men .

I hate to break it to you Mia, but women are fast aproaching men for adulterous affairs. In fact it has long been known that married women might go out looking for the “best breeding stock” while they are ovulating.

Yes, I have to agree with you HS, even though I feel uneasy agreeing with you. However, my ex wife ran around behind my back. I didn’t know it for sure but since I worked nights, I suspected it. Anyway, after our second child was born, I felt love for my daughter and treated her special. We divorced after ten years of marriage and after I got custody of our three kids, it became clear that my ex was sabotaging everything, trying to make them hate me or rebel against my authority. One day my daughter’s boyfriend was over telling me stuff about her, since I was looking for a runaway now. He said my daughter told him, her mother had taken her to see a man (a year after our divorce)and she said this was her “real” father and that he was her biological father. This obviously hurt and confused my daughter. My ex was a fool and she probably didn’t think about what she was doing then…

This has caused me great pain and many hours of introspection and reflection. Women can’t be trusted about as frequently as men can’t be trusted. I can be faithful to a love or wife or even a significant other, but lots of time and experience with trusting that person has to occur before I feel that way towards her. This I know in my heart. Mia needs to keep in mind stereotypes of men have some basis in fact, but remember, one is always dealing with an individual, and even women can be unfaithful to their spouses or lovers. Unfaithfulness in marriage is a real problem and it indicates a lack of repsect for the other, as well as for oneself. We grew up during the “free love” period but when one commits to one person and raises a family, that must dominate everything else and condition ones decisions. Love doesn’t behave that way.

Mia, when I declare whores and prostiturtes are not interesting as a partner, I mean sex isn’t what determines my choice as a mate. I’d like to add, that the atheist dating sites are not very effective at locating our type of mate, i.e. a non-religious person who can be trusted. I stick by my opinion about women being captive to religion. Now can anyone answer it better than Mia with the “breaking bread” fallacy?

Posted: 02 May 2006 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Mia”][quote author=“SkepticX”]

I’d be allllll over that 8).

Just promise me that if you’re having doubts about the wording of your ad, I am your girl. If you’re thinking, “Should I mention that I spend my off nights stalking the neighborhood and burning satanic symbols into people’s doors?”, then check with me first, for the sake of all womankind, I BEG YOU. I read through those things and my eyes bug out. I have to wash my eyeballs. Men who seem to live, breathe, scream and poop militant atheism completely freak me out. This stuff does not have to appear in manifesto form in your romantic profile,  people :D! Think about LOVE, think about longing!

Doesn’t it seem a better situation that such people let you know they’re pseudo-psycho before you waste any time on them, though? I say post all of that stuff you feel like you want to boast about—there’s no reason rational skeptical/atheist/agnostic women should be drawn into closer ties with the un-Manson family than they’d ever want to have.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 02 May 2006 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

-

Gentlemen, I stand totally corrected on at least two counts. Trustworthiness is a facet of one’s character, regardless of gender. Nature might provide cues and temptations, but the developed character defines how one acts on those urges. I was just repeating a time-worn cliche without even giving it a thought. For the record, I retract all gender generalizations regarding faithfulness and honesty, at least for adults. Still . .  if one looks at the motivations of teenage boys versus teenage girls, it’s easy to see where the cliche begins. Overall, it seems to me that most  boys respond to sexual opportunity with less discernment, consequences be damned, while most  girls hold out for something more exclusive, even if that means believing a lie . . . But I’m willing to be convinced I’ve just been reading it wrong, or that things are beginning to equal out more in recent years. After all, I believed in an other-worldly god for most of my life, too, and look how that cliche got turned on its ear wink.

Byron, you’re absolutely right. When I’ve seen profiles that put me off, I’ve thought to myself: “Thank you, for showing me the real you; you just saved me a lot of time and grief.”  In composing those, people should emphasize whatever they feel like, and then let the chips fall as they may. I’ll take the truth over a false facade anyday. Thanks for calling me on something that I was already subconsciously aware served a vital purpose.

Profiles make it hard to measure chemistry or demeanor. This is true even among women friends I’ve met in real life after knowing them on forums. I’ve found that people can come across so differently in person as to be nearly unrelatable to their online persona. Someone who is perhaps extremely eloquent and talkative online, might be unusually quiet in reality. Not just bashful, but downright reticent in terms of conversation. It can be disconcerting, trying to reenact the online rapport, but being unable to.

At my first gathering of forum friends a couple years back, I was surprised to see how different people can be from their posting personas. One who was particularly political and almost strident in online postings ended up being as quiet as a mouse. Had I met this person in real-life first, I’d never have guessed at what lurked within. Before this, I’d only met friends the old-fashioned way, in the real world, so this was quite a lesson, being the first time I’d experienced a reversal of the normal process. The best compliment I got after that gathering—these being people I’d ‘known’ online for about two years—was that my in-person vibe matched my online self pretty much exactly. One person said that I laughed a lot more in-person than I seemed to online (which of course made me laugh again) . . . but online “laughing”? Odd. I can relate, though, because another woman that almost always seemed to be writing her posts from behind a big grin was not really like that in person. She was in fact very guarded, apparently only comfortable with her mirthful side when online.

Funny how much we fill in our perceptions about people, with only words (and use of smilie faces, apparently!) to build on. These were all sci-fi geeks, by the way, which explains the gatherings wink. Sci-fi conventions virtually guarantee that online nerds will eventually meet in person.

_

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2006 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-16

Sartre2.0,
So sorry to hear about your bad experience. i have had two other friends that went through basically the same thing. That must have been a terrible way to find out.

Mia

if one looks at the motivations of teenage boys versus teenage girls, it’s easy to see where the cliche begins. Overall, it seems to me that most boys respond to sexual opportunity with less discernment, consequences be damned, while most girls hold out for something more exclusive, even if that means believing a lie

I would agree with for the most part and I am in firmer agreement as you go back a generation or so. For the present generation I think things are changing. Girls are more aggressive and open to a plethora of things including sex. Personally, I attribute this to TV and movies. Recreational sex is everywhere and it isput out there like there is nothing better.

Posted: 04 May 2006 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2006-05-04

Recreational sex is okay.  It’s better if you do it with proper precautions like condoms or other MODERN forms of birth control.  It is also better if you know the reciprocating partner for longer than a few drinks at the pub.  In fact, you should probably know who their last 3 partners were.  Do your homework and recreational sex can be quite good.

Later.  god

Posted: 04 May 2006 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

-

god, babe, you’re spamming. Give us a little time to absorb all this wisdom, will ya?

_

Signature 

4 of 6

‹‹ Sam's truthdig interview      spammer? ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed