5 of 6
Internet Infidels!
Posted: 05 May 2006 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-06

I personally really enjoy this god character who’s been jumping in and setting the record straight on things.  It’s about time he showed up and gave us Bible 2.0.  Now if only we could get something along the lines of:  “Score one for the Christians, because I do exist.  But I’m done, so I’m going to just disappear and leave the universe to you guys.  You heard it here first, children, time to join the atheists.  Adios.  Or more appropriately, Dedios, Anada.”

Sartre, when I first started reading this I was going to recommend college campuses for picking up atheist chicks - generally places of education attract some very attractive, very smart, very driven women, a type which can be a lot harder to find outside the walls of academia (sadly I didn’t quite realize this disparity until my recent graduation and subsequent move out of beautiful sexy Evanston IL into the “real world”).  But hearing your tales of marriage I realize college women might be of a different age group than you’re looking for (though as long as both people are attracted, I myself have nothing against large age disparities in relationships; but I realize many people do).

Also, I’m quite relieved you weren’t coming on to Mia yourself, because I’ve been falling in love since the first few posts I read.  And seeing a name like Sartre2.0 I was worried I just couldn’t compete.

Just for the non-PC side of the conversation, I’ve found that one big difference between the men and women I’ve encounted is that women seem to be less inclined to seek out spiritual experiences.  Of course people in general seem disinclined toward anything other than NASCAR and beer nuts; it’s that most of the few people that I do find, who are passionate about understanding themselves and the nature of being, are men.  I don’t know if this is biological or nurtered-in completely or what, but I do have a sneaking suspicion that a combination of women’s innate social nature and the media’s portrayal of prototypical teenage girls has meant that high school age girls these days are very disinclined to ask difficult questions - the answers to which might set them off from the group.  Even feminism’s success in terms of career-orientation probably has contributed to this, since spirituality won’t make you any money or win you any prestige unless it’s packaged for mass consumption and used as a networking tool (i.e. church).

Or maybe it’s purely biological - maybe due to different brain development paths the spirituality women experience is different than mens’ and therefore I don’t see the signs when it’s there.  Or maybe I just have a bad sample.  Has anyone else noticed any disparities in the ways women and men approach philosophy?

Posted: 05 May 2006 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2006-05-04

Score none for all religions, because this is how it is:

The universe just happened and continues to happen.

I am here, but not like anything any human has ever imagined, therefore all that has been written or thought about me is wrong.

I’ll get back to you with more details in a few days.  For now, just accept that I really don’t matter.  People matter, and mankind matters, and mankind is responsible for fixing any ills or wrongs that exist with mankind.  No more, no less.  Get to work!

Later.  god

PS - The difference between men and women is obvious, don’t you think.  Here’s a clue.  It has everything to do with biology, chemistry and physics.  More on that later too.  Have a nice weekend.  Don’t waste your time going to church on sunday… especially if the weather is nice where you live.

Posted: 06 May 2006 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-05-05

I never thought I would be saying this, but I agree with god on this one! Recreational sex can be quite good, but it isn’t a be-all and end-all…

I have to say that on online dating sites, I am always glad when I read things like “I am most grateful for God in my life”, because I know we will not be compatible. Saves everyone a lot of grief.
I met both my disastrous exes at church. The first one raped me and tried to kill me, and eventually abandoned me with an 8 month old baby. The elders of the church told me I had to prove he was committing adultery and not supporting us before they could consider censuring him. I knew I would never convince them that he had sexually assaulted me. I don’t know why men wouldn’t be drawn to groups so oriented towards facilitating their bad acts. It goes without saying, however, that I would not recommend dating anyone who was a churchgoer.

There are women out there that are intelligent, freethinking and attractive…they are probably just as challenging to find as their male counterparts….but we are out there.

Posted: 07 May 2006 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2006-03-20
[quote author=“surgikate”]There are women out there that are intelligent, freethinking and attractive…they are probably just as challenging to find as their male counterparts….but we are out there.

Ok Kate, you sound like my type. Can we talk? I’m looking….

Posted: 07 May 2006 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

sure, sartre…if you want to get a better feel of who I am, you can check out my posts on the sam’s truthdig interview thread.  I’m always open to meeting new people!

Posted: 07 May 2006 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

-

Have fun, kids, and be careful out there wink.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 07 May 2006 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“Lucius”]
Also, I’m quite relieved you weren’t coming on to Mia yourself, because I’ve been falling in love since the first few posts I read.  And seeing a name like Sartre2.0 I was worried I just couldn’t compete.

Way to make a girl’s night, Lucius :oops: wink.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 08 May 2006 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2006-03-20

[quote author=“Mia”][quote author=“Lucius”]

Way to make a girl’s night, Lucius oops wink.

Wait a minute folks!  I happen to feel a great attraction to Mia, even if she might look like a dog. The beauty and clarity of her mind is sufficient to win my love anf friendship!The logical nature of her words really seduces my mind. I also have re-read Surgikate’s postings and she is a very interesting woman too. My kind of gal! She’s a smart and wise woman who has seen the error of unquestioning faith. I admire her courage.

Mia is very smart and I’m mad that some other city/state has her. Why is it so hard to find a good woman like these two? Why are most women like such sheep that they cannot break free of the hold of religious tyranny? I’m lonely and sick and tired of religious women whose minds are “enslaved”.

BTW has anyone read Kevin Phillips’ new book, American Theocracy? The subtitle is"THE PERIL AND POLITICS OF RADICAL RELIGION,OIL,AND BORROWED MONEY IN THE 21ST CENTURY.”

Posted: 08 May 2006 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

Anyone interested in meeting/partying with fellow skeptics might want to consider going to James Randi’s “ Amaz!ng Meeting ” in Las Vegas and see what happens. It’s not until late January, I think (Superbowl Party!?), but that’s just the way it is. The Amaz!ng Adventure: Escape from the Bermuda Triangle (i.e. cruise) looks appealing as well, I suppose, I’m just personally not into the whole cruise schtick (I think I’d get bored and be missing my friends and the downtown scene here in Athens by the second night—being embarrassingly pampered just isn’t my thing, and I have plenty of great friends and entertaining things to do around here). Here’s a write-up on the last Amaz!ng Meeting from a prominant skepchick . I’m planning to make the next TAM I can in any case—should be a lot of fun!

If any of you go and see me (I’m 39, 6’/170lbs with a very short buzz cut/beard—have to see if I can get a pic posted in my profile) please come say “Hi!” I’ve been told that I can sometimes come off initially as if I’d as soon kill you as shake your hand, but don’t buy it! That’s got to only last until people actually talk with me for about 5 seconds, because it’s just so opposite of my actual character.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 08 May 2006 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

wow..I’m a little overwhelmed with all the opportunities there are to actually have my mind appreciated, and I have to say…Thank you!
My mother (the religious one) used to tell me I needed to really “dumb down” around men if I ever wanted one to be interested….to which I replied that if that was the case, I didn’t care if one ever was! I guess I should have thought seriously about the other things she believed in at that point, huh?

Posted: 08 May 2006 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“surgikate”]My mother (the religious one) used to tell me I needed to really “dumb down” around men if I ever wanted one to be interested…

Very true . . . if you’re at all interested in guys who you’d have to “dumb down” around in order to capture their interest. I don’t think it’s that unusual for men to be attracted to intelligent, self-assured women, but it doesn’t exactly seem to be the norm, either (in the military, for example, I took a lot of abuse—friendly for the most part—for openly admitting respect for women).

We get the hand we’re dealt, I guess. You sound like a woman who would be tortured trying to live with someone who would expect or need you to diminish yourself in order to find you more attractive, and I personally think that’s pretty damn obviously healthy on your part. I can’t imagine wanting to do such an absolutely self-depricating thing, much less allegedly to be happier?!?! Where the hell does that kind of bullshit come from, anyway?

I’m really glad I live in a university town, because among many, many other things, the expectations our society seems to put on women would just piss me off regularly in full bloom, so to speak. That kind of nonsense is pretty suppressed here by healthy intellects (not necessarily healthy psyches, but I’d bet it’s a lot better here on that count as well).

Sorry if that didn’t all make sense—I was mostly just trying to affirm your sense that smart is sexy (which just so happens to be the Skepchick motto) to men with healthy psyches/egos.

Take care,

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 08 May 2006 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

I have to admit, Byron, that for a long time I was quite tortured by trying to live with two husbands who had serious issues with intelligence in a woman, to say nothing for the second-class citizen mentality the religion promoted. If I am emotionally healthy now, it’s been a painful journey. The upside is that my sons all have a very healthy respect for the female sex. I have tried to not only teach this, but conduct my life in a way that would earn respect and admiration, as opposed to demanding it. This is my line of thought post-religion, and it’s why I don’t feel you need to be religious to have what people refer to as morals and values.

I appreciate that you posted a reply and that it was so positive…it’s a real balm on my heart, I can tell you that!

Posted: 12 May 2006 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“surgikate”]I have to admit, Byron, that for a long time I was quite tortured by trying to live with two husbands who had serious issues with intelligence in a woman, to say nothing for the second-class citizen mentality the religion promoted.

What always gets to me about that . . . how many dozen generations of women have had to put up with that kind of crap, and much worse . . . horrible. When I think of things like that it makes me wonder whether Humanity is worthy of the esteem I hold it in, generally. We have a disturbing capacity to be deeply, deeply ugly to each other.

[quote author=“surgikate”]If I am emotionally healthy now, it’s been a painful journey. The upside is that my sons all have a very healthy respect for the female sex.

That sort of thing is always great to hear! Almost as comforting as a turnabout—when someone manages to change from a misogynist, or some other form of bigot, to an egalitarian.

Good stuff, Kate!

Take care,

Byron

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2006 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

I think what bothers me the most is that we as women have let this sorry state of affairs cobtinue for so long, many times under the guise of religious piety. I am happy that I somehow managed to convey to my boys the concept that women are just as entitled to their humanity as men are.
Your comments are much appreciated, Bryon!

Posted: 15 May 2006 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-04-06

Well, before I let everyone’s perception of my stabilize into something I’m not - let it be known that, though I may evolve in the future into a being attracted to mind alone, I’m presently a young and quite sensual male.  I prefer my women to be attractive on all levels, so to speak.

I can appreciate the lasting pleasure of growing old and wrinkled with some woman who can comfort my fears and pepper our conversations with her wit, whose leathery hand I can cling to as I die comfortably and smile at centuries of varied memories.  But for the present I find that the attraction that is stirred by witnessing a woman’s intellectual courage and wondering anew at the myriad combinations of expression that erupt to provide illumination of the elegance and beauty of her deepest nature, is often best expressed by a very, very physical night of animal pleasures.  And to do that well I really do require a healthy dose of the shallower things in life.

Long story short - gotta have that beauty to top the brains.  Luckily I’ve found the two in no way exlude one another.  Alas, though - having two criteria, each with their own very wide spectra of quality, does make it a rare woman who really attracts me.

5 of 6

‹‹ Sam's truthdig interview      spammer? ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed