God Is Imaginary
Posted: 19 April 2006 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-04-19

This is a nice, compact site that shows people how imaginary God is:

[url=http://GodIsImaginary.com]http://GodIsImaginary.com [/url]

Here is the TOC from the home page:

It is easy to prove to yourself that God is imaginary. The evidence is all around you. Here are 29 simple proofs:

1. Try praying

2. Statistically analyze prayer

3. Watch the offering plate

4. Think about science

5. Read the Bible

6. Ponder God's plan

7. Understand religious delusion

8. Think about Near Death Experiences

9. Understand ambiguity

10. Look at historical gods

11. Notice that there is no scientific evidence

12. See the magic

13. Take a look at slavery

14. Examine Jesus' miracles

15. Examine Jesus' resurrection

16. Contemplate the contradictions

17. Think about Leprechauns

18. Imagine heaven

19. Notice that you ignore Jesus

20. Notice your church

21. Understand Jesus' core message

22. Count all the people God wants to murder

23. Listen to the Doxology

24. Ask why religion causes so many problems

25. Understand evolution and abiogenesis

26. Notice that the Bible's author is not "all-knowing"

27. Think about life after death

28. Notice how many gods you reject

29. Think about communion

Posted: 19 April 2006 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

The Tao gives rise to all forms, yet it has no form of its own.

If you attempt to fix a picture of it in your mind, you will lose it.

This is like pinning a butterfly: the husk is captured but the flying is lost.

Why not be content with simply experiencing it?

(Brian Walker interpreting Lao Tsu)

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 19 April 2006 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

Neat site. Thank you for the link!

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 19 April 2006 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Is God imaginery? I think not. Here is why.

It is written that you know there is a God due his truth that is revealed to mankind:

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Romans 1:18-21

Hmmm, looks like we are getting somewhere indeed! But let’s take it further, shall we. Yes, lets! grin

It is written that you know there is a God due to the law which is written on your hearts/conscience:

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness, and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus. Romans 2:14-16

So now you know, your conscience bears witness of God’s law. But where does it all end? Here is how, it is written:

Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them. Romans 1:32

So now you know. The best thing to do is mediate on these truths, then turn your heart and life over the Christ. I mean, everything, turn it all over to him!

Thank you.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 20 April 2006 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-04-19

[quote author=“TheChampion”]So now you know. The best thing to do is mediate on these truths, then turn your heart and life over the Christ. I mean, everything, turn it all over to him!

Thank you.

Champion,

Your thoughts are appreciated. You may find this page beneficial in your own search for truth.

Posted: 20 April 2006 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2006-03-04

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Is God imaginery? I think not. Here is why.

Can you explain to me how the text you’ve quoted really says anything more than “I say God exists because I say so.”

The first section says that we know God because he punishes the wicked. Can you show me provable real world examples of how he’s punished the wicked (i.e., not stories from your book of fairy tales)?

The second basically says that god must exist, because we have a conscience/morals (if I’m reading it correctly). A completely ludicrous statement. For this statement to have merit you have to be able to demonstrate that we could not possibly have a conscience or morals unless there’s an invisible superhero up in the sky telling us what they are.

Answer those questions, with something other than quotes of scripture and we may actually have something to talk about.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed