Hassidic reggae and sexism
Posted: 20 April 2006 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2006-02-13

I read this article in the paper this morning "Meet the man dubbed world's first Hasidic reggae superstar". Sadly on closer reading it appears that his religious tradition is a sexist one…

"alongside the pounding vocals - sometimes in Yiddish - and foot-stomping rhythms, he maintains a lifestyle devoutly at odds with those in the music business around him. He refuses to play on the Jewish Sabbath, eat non-kosher food, or compromise his religious ideals by playing alongside female artists." (my italics)

So much for him being a positive jewish role model.

The full article can be found at
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article358766.ece

Posted: 27 April 2006 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2006-04-19

yes, matisyahu is full of contradictions…  i believe at the core he is out to make a bundle.  go figure, a jew, who sings to the beat of a “religion” that is based on revelations.  who is my brother kidding here?  he’s a white boy reggae star with mystique.  nice marketing dude!

Posted: 03 May 2006 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

Its interesting how Judism gets a free pass on some of its racist and sexist beliefs.

Posted: 03 May 2006 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2006-04-19

uh… i don’t give judaism a free pass, and he doesn’t represent mainstream judaism either.  i may call myself a jew (and absolutely not mainstream), but i don’t buy any of the jewish religious stuff as strongly as i shun any faith’s antiquated writings.  and matisyahooo is nothing more than a rocker hiding behind a bunch of outdated style and bs writings…

oh well… i like the beat though.

Posted: 18 April 2007 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-04-18

i know this topic is kind of old, but i found it while reading through the boards and felt that i had to comment.

now, i know matisyahu personally.  and while i don’t agree with his religious views (in the least), he is certainly not out to simply make money on a gimmick.  he is a very genuine individual who really believes what he sings about; peace, unity, understanding, and yes… judaism.
just wanted to bring that up.

-moditch

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed