1 of 2
Right or Wrong
Posted: 02 May 2011 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12

In some African tribes the law requires that if a woman gives birth to twins,
one must be destroyed by having a round pebble pushed down its throat.

Is that good or bad?

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-04-25

That would be bad.  In fact it would be horrifically monstrous to argue otherwise.  Besides the obvious terrible effects on the baby being killed, and in a horrific way no less, the psychological damage that must do to the parents is probably pretty terrible also.

Posted: 02 May 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
sara12 - 02 May 2011 04:26 PM

That would be bad.  In fact it would be horrifically monstrous to argue otherwise.  Besides the obvious terrible effects on the baby being killed, and in a horrific way no less, the psychological damage that must do to the parents is probably pretty terrible also.

In some societies it is literally impossible for a woman to raise two babies at the same time and adoption is not an alternative when the entire tribe lives on the edge of starvation.
Granted it is not a pleasant thought, but when twins are born, her only option is to kill one the babies.
Not only the do economic circumstances dictate her action but her entire society demands that only one baby be allowed to survive.
It is easy for us with full refrigerators and stomachs to condemn her behavior.
But to her, keeping one baby alive and fed is the good and right thing to do.

Posted: 02 May 2011 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-04-25

Well, then you should have provided all of that information in the first place if you want better answers of what people think.  People are much more likely to make better decisions when provided all of the relevant information.

Posted: 02 May 2011 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24
sara12 - 02 May 2011 09:48 PM

Well, then you should have provided all of that information in the first place if you want better answers of what people think.  People are much more likely to make better decisions when provided all of the relevant information.

But then they can’t be ambushed as easily, which would defeat the whole point.

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 02 May 2011 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12

No,.........they are not.
People don’t make decisions based on relevant information.
Brains make decisions based on acquired impulse and the sense of being a person arrives downstream from that process.

Posted: 03 May 2011 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-04-25
SkepticX - 02 May 2011 09:51 PM

True enough.  I certainly know better anymore.  smile

Posted: 03 May 2011 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
sara12 - 03 May 2011 08:31 AM
SkepticX - 02 May 2011 09:51 PM

True enough.  I certainly know better anymore.  smile

The illusory stance of conceptual thought is not easily exposed by using it in conventional ways.

Posted: 28 May 2011 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-05-25

that would be bad:((

Posted: 28 May 2011 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
Harry Moyers - 28 May 2011 01:05 PM

that would be bad:((

For whom?

Posted: 29 May 2011 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-05-29

You have an african family with twins and they push a stone down the throat of one of the twins to end its life. That sounds like abortion. That sounds like something that happens in the United States all of the time. I imagine they arent aborting the twin when the twin is some three years old. It probably happens shortly after birth which is humane enough for the purposes of survival.

Signature 

cool hmm  cool hmm  cool hmm http://www.knowledgenation.us cool hmm  cool hmm  cool hmm

Posted: 30 May 2011 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
NicholasLawson - 30 May 2011 02:07 AM

You have an african family with twins and they push a stone down the throat of one of the twins to end its life. That sounds like abortion. That sounds like something that happens in the United States all of the time. I imagine they arent aborting the twin when the twin is some three years old. It probably happens shortly after birth which is humane enough for the purposes of survival.

So is it “moral” to kill one baby if the chances of the second child are improved?

Posted: 30 May 2011 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-05-29

I am a man so I have no idea what it is like to have a living creature grow on my person but I leave it up to the mother. If a mother feels like a child should die after it spent time in her womb I think society should support her decision to make an adult decision. Sometimes someone has to make a hard decision. I am certain its never a beautiful day when you place a stone in a childs throat but the mother has the right to be pro hard choices. I support a womans right to end a life and I dont think babies are so special that they should be spared the difficulties of life as we have no trouble sending adult useful grown men to die in combat. Death is as normal as birth if you are strong enough to be able to survive then that is amazing for you and if not then there isnt much anyone has to say to you.

Signature 

cool hmm  cool hmm  cool hmm http://www.knowledgenation.us cool hmm  cool hmm  cool hmm

Posted: 30 May 2011 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-12
NicholasLawson - 30 May 2011 01:19 PM

I am a man so I have no idea what it is like to have a living creature grow on my person but I leave it up to the mother. If a mother feels like a child should die after it spent time in her womb I think society should support her decision to make an adult decision. Sometimes someone has to make a hard decision. I am certain its never a beautiful day when you place a stone in a childs throat but the mother has the right to be pro hard choices. I support a womans right to end a life and I dont think babies are so special that they should be spared the difficulties of life as we have no trouble sending adult useful grown men to die in combat. Death is as normal as birth if you are strong enough to be able to survive then that is amazing for you and if not then there isnt much anyone has to say to you.

So “moral” decisions are determined by the individual?

Posted: 30 May 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Rank
Joined  2011-05-29

There is no such thing as morality. There is no overarching moral fluid to the universe. Its an idea , its a thought, its a wish or a dream. If you wish to treat your fellow man for the better then that just means you are civilized but you dont have to. Of course its your decision just like all of the other matters of course in life. Dont let the overwhelming fear of the police state fool you into thinking that we lack free will and that at any time we could riot if we wished to do so collectively. There is no morality it is a word that was conjured up to be taught in grade schools to help children behave.

If morality was a law of the universe we would never have stamped our racism, we would never have started eating dead animal flesh, we would not have an economy that punishes the majority of people for not having a currency that is in short supply, we would not have homeless citizens in the winter time when there is plenty of housing available. No there is no morality. There are personal choices to be made but there is no greater good that pulls us in a moral direction. We are in fact mostly by the typical definition amoral people. We are so used to being evil we just got used to it.

Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

Speaking of information, here are some photos showing what to do if you are present when a child (or anyone) starts to choke on something.

http://www.answers.com/topic/choking

Notice that every year 17,000 children are rushed to hospital emergency rooms because of choking on small objects.  No doubt before the invention of marbles, beads, buttons, balloons, bubble gum etc. - Stone Age children put small round pebbles in their mouths, accidentally swallowed small bones etc.  Neanderthals probably knew how to whack each other on the back to treat choking.

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed