Free will and the self
Posted: 31 May 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12

If there is no free will, there is no self.

Posted: 01 June 2011 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29
toombaru - 31 May 2011 03:41 PM

I think the argument goes something like, free will is only an illusion even if it would seem to be an illusion that has profound effects, similar to the illusion of the Holy Spirit’s effects on a believer or Satan’s effects on the world. All are illusions and therefore all negatively impacting on humanity and the rest of the planet. The self, it has long been known, is also an illusion. The neuroscience community seems not to be as sure about the question of how useful the illusion of the self is.

The whole thing makes my hair turn gray, I suspect, and maybe yours, as well? Kind of fun to ponder, though.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 01 June 2011 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  800
Joined  2010-11-12
nonverbal - 01 June 2011 12:24 PM
toombaru - 31 May 2011 03:41 PM

I think the argument goes something like, free will is only an illusion even if it would seem to be an illusion that has profound effects, similar to the illusion of the Holy Spirit’s effects on a believer or Satan’s effects on the world. All are illusions and therefore all negatively impacting on humanity and the rest of the planet. The self, it has long been known, is also an illusion. The neuroscience community seems not to be as sure about the question of how useful the illusion of the self is.

The whole thing makes my hair turn gray, I suspect, and maybe yours, as well? Kind of fun to ponder, though.

The sense of personal autonomy has evolved in homo sapiens simply because it helps the organism survive and reproduce.
It’s entire reality is a conceptual overlay, in many ways comparable to a dream.
It lives in a objectified world and ponders questions about things that have no substantial reality.
It is a wonderful adaptation and has helped populate the world with six billion humans.
It does. however, have a down side.
Within the swirling mnemonic debris, tension builds and fear drives the machinery.
Magical thinking helps assuage the fear of impending doom….....for a while…..and then it builds.

It amazes me that a self can ponder its own essential emptiness and still function.

Here the entire realm appears as a great mystery…..forever beyond the brain’s ability to grasp.

Whatever it is….....watches…......enthralled.

Time here is spent flowing along the currents of life…...observing the self and its reactions…...with a certain degree of indifference.

I feel it moving out into the delta of time and relax into the enigma.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed