2 of 3
Feast Your Eyes . . .
Posted: 05 May 2006 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

Thanks gang, it’s always nice to spend some time with you. Forgive me if I’m a little glassy eyed today. I just lost a devoted friend yesterday…a tail wagging, four legged friend named Beebee. I was the last thing she saw as she closed her eyes quietly at ten years old and lost the struggle to a lymphoma. If you’ll allow me, I’d like to leave this little electronic memorial to how much she will be missed…and how much I appreciated the time with her. She seemed to live just to make my days more pleasant…and I hope she felt the favor returned. To paraphrase a poem…it has been my greatest pleasure to have such friends as these.

Rod

Posted: 05 May 2006 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

Rod, you have my deepest sympathy.  I have owned two dogs in my life that have been as close as any relative.  I lost the last one just a couple of years ago and she died after 16 years of devoted love for me and my family.  She was dumb as dirt but then most labs are but to the rest of the family she was mother earth.

Drop in and say hello.  The one I just lost was “Kate” the yellow lab who even posted at CapitolHillBlue. 

http://www.rightpov.com

The Doberman was the protector of our lives and property and would even take on a rattlesnake if needed.

Posted: 05 May 2006 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2006-02-13

Likewise, sorry to hear that Rod, I know how upsetting it is to lose a much loved dog and what a deep emotional bond you can form with them. Even now, almost eighteen years after she died, I still sometimes dream about the old english sheepdog I grew up with as a kid.

As an aside, I went to a roman catholic primary school (ages 5-11)  and I clearly remember asking the parish priest if dogs went to heaven as I didn’t want to go there if my dog couldn’t. His answer was “only if they’re necessary for our happiness” was cleverly non-committal, maybe my doubts started then, who knows?

Posted: 05 May 2006 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

Rod
nothing like a loyal dog. Kipling wrote a poem that I think captures it best.

The Power of a Dog - RUDYARD KIPLING

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your hearts to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk you heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits,
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,
And the Vet’s unspoken prescription runs
to lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it’s your own affair
But - you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent
At compound interest of cent per cent,
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

When the body that lived at your single will,
When the whimper of welcome is stilled
(HOW STILL!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You soon discover how much you care,
And give your heart to a NEW dog to tear.

Posted: 05 May 2006 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-11-13

Mia, thank you for starting this post. Too often we get lost in worlds of our own making and we forget to open our eyes and take in to ourselves the endless beauty that surrounds us.

Rod, you said:” I hope she felt the favor returned”

Last summer,our last chicken died of natural causes. She had been slowing down for a while but did not seem to be suffering. She had been quite independant until then, foraging all over the place by herself; then she started hanging around us more.She’d walk into the kitchen or the living room looking for company. The day she died, she stayed very close to my wife as she was working in her flower patch; she found a nice comfortable spot in the sun among Diane’s flowers and slowly faded away through the day.
I think that our animals need our love as much as we need theirs, they need the reassurance that we are near. For the last few years my wife has incubated indian runner duck eggs and we keep the little ones in the kitchen for a couple of weeks. They are just like human children; they need constant reassurance that we are near; when we answer, their anxious peeps turn into chirps of joy. There is no other way of describing it; it will melt the most hardened heart.

Posted: 05 May 2006 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

3-d.  You are right about the animals needing love.  We had a banty rooster who was truly a family pet.  When the kids got home from school I always cheese and crackers waiting for them on the sink.  Old Howard would wait for them and follow them into the kitchen and share their snack.  He ended up walking down the bridle trail and would meet the school bus.  Everyone loved to see him stand by the door and greet his “kids.”  He was with us for many years and one morning the sun up was silent and I knew we had lost our lovely old friend. 

One of the kids did a school paper on the glories of having a colorful rooster and still have that paper with all the wonderful photos of Howard and his hens and chicks.

Posted: 05 May 2006 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

[quote author=“Mia”]-

rab . . . your sense of aesthetics is certainly appreciated. . .  *cough* . . . the brown-eyed one, I mean wink.

I picked Clooney because of the title of the thread—-“Feast Your Eyes…” LOL

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 05 May 2006 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2006-02-13

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find it very heartening that people with quite disparate views (right-of-centre and left-of-centre politics, theist and atheist) all appear to be able to agree on both the wonder that can be found in nature and the emotional bonds that can be forged with some of the other creatures that share this earth with us.

And yes, I may have had a drink or two tonight, but hey wink

Posted: 05 May 2006 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“calmooney”]
I don’t know about anyone else, but I find it very heartening that people with quite disparate views (right-of-centre and left-of-centre politics, theist and atheist) all appear to be able to agree on both the wonder that can be found in nature and the emotional bonds that can be forged with some of the other creatures that share this earth with us.

And yes, I may have had a drink or two tonight, but hey wink

Remember, though, the One True Religion (forgive me, I forget which one that is :shock: ) states that our beloved friends don’t rank an admission to Heaven. Yet from the time I first met a dog (and any number of other creatures), I knew I’d give up my seat to them in a heartbeat. No human could be so selfless, so blissfully enslaved, so utterly simplistic in its needs, so desperate to make its master happy and comfortable. Have you ever met a human who could measure up to that?

Rod . . . *(((((hug)))))* :(

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 05 May 2006 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

His Apologies
by
Rudyard Kipling

Master, this is Thy Servant. He is rising eight weeks old.
He is mainly Head and Tummy. His legs are uncontrolled.
But Thou hast forgiven his ugliness, and settled him on Thy knee…
Art Thou content with Thy Servant? He is very comfy with Thee.

Master, behold a Sinner! He hath committed a wrong.
He hath defiled Thy Premises through being kept in too long.
Wherefore his nose has been rubbed in the dirt and his self- respect has been bruised.
Master, pardon Thy Sinner, and see he is properly loosed.

Master, again Thy Sinner! This that was once Thy Shoe,
He has found and taken and carried aside, as fitting matter to chew.
Now there is neither blacking nor tongue, and the Housemaid has us in tow,
Master, remember Thy Servant is young, and tell her to let him go!

Master, extol Thy Servant, he has met a most Worthy Foe!
There has been fighting all over the Shop—and into the Shop also!
Till cruel umbrellas parted the strife (or I might have been choking him yet),
But Thy Servant has had the Time of his Life—and now shall we call on the vet?

Master, behold Thy Servant! Strange children came to play,
And because they fought to caress him, Thy Servant wentedst away.
But now that the Little Beasts have gone, he has returned to see
(Brushed—with his Sunday collar on) what they left over from tea.

Master, pity Thy Servant! He is deaf and three parts blind.
He cannot catch Thy Commandments. He cannot read Thy Mind.
Oh, leave him not to his loneliness; nor make him that kitten’s scorn.
He hath had no other God than Thee since the year that he was born.

Lord, look down on Thy Servant! Bad things have come to pass.
There is no heat in the midday sun, nor health in the wayside grass.
His bones are full of an old disease—his torments run and increase.
Lord, make haste with Thy Lightnings and grant him a quick release!

Posted: 05 May 2006 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-11-13

Mia, by a strange coincidence, I was “meditating” on our back porch, and thinking along the same lines, observing our ducks and all the other birds that grace our little place. I was thinking that if I existed perfectly, like God must exist if he is perfect, I would be able to be consciously present inside them and perceive the world from their perspective. I would be present simultaneously in everything that lives,perceiving existence the way each living thing perceives it. And I am thinking, if I was God there is no fucking way I would want to let go of any of them. I would want to see how long it would take before the living thing becomes aware of my presence in its life, inside it.
Sometimes, when I observe intently our beautifull birds, I wonder if they don’t already know something that we are struggling to find out.

Mia, you sang the following words:” No human could be so selfless, so blissfully enslaved, so utterly simplistic in its needs, so desperate to make its master happy and comfortable. Have you ever met a human who could measure up to that? “
I think only a child of God could behave like that, don’t you think?

Let’s ask the Champion.

Posted: 05 May 2006 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2821
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“3-D Scrabble”]Mia, you sang the following words:” No human could be so selfless, so blissfully enslaved, so utterly simplistic in its needs, so desperate to make its master happy and comfortable. Have you ever met a human who could measure up to that? “
I think only a child of God could behave like that, don’t you think?

I don’t mean to stray from the poetic mood, but hope only to add to it with a tiny bit of realistic analysis.

Humans invented gods and eventually God. Humans engineered (domesticated, etc.) dogs to assist us in various ways. Guess what? We ended up engineering dogs to be the humans we consider ideal in their relations with God.

And what about cats? Some of us still worship them as per the ancients.

I love them both.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 05 May 2006 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

-

Interesting, H. . . although with all the talk of pet chickens, roosters, ducks, etc.—not all of those have been likewise engineered over centuries to favor personality traits, and yet most, when caught young enough, seem to bond to humans. Would most of these creatures take to any caregiver, regardless of species? We’ve seen all sorts of funky friendships—dog and rat, gorilla and kitten, cat and bird. . . The key seems to be that amazing lack of ego.

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 06 May 2006 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

I shouldn’t go on to other things before I say thanks again for every body’s comments since yesterday. The animal photos and especially the Ashes and Snow site were just right for my mood yesterday and I even got my wife to read the posts. I think she appreciates why I like to peruse your thoughts now and then. I never thought the image of a chicken slowly fading away in a flower garden would stick with me as much as it did. Well, I spent most of the evening with friends and we got out my telescope since it was a beautiful clear night. Saturn’s rings and the lunar craters were a good diversion. As of next Sunday, we’ll be spending a month in the Tuscan countryside near Florence, but until then you’re stuck with me.
I’m feeling a little sappy, so to you all:

“Think where man’s glory most begins and ends,
  And say my glory was I had such friends.”

W.B. Yeats

Later, Rod

Posted: 06 May 2006 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Hey Rod, my belated sympathies to you.

I lost a dear pet to cancer last year. It was a terribly difficult situation. You are in my thoughts today.

TC

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

2 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed