Sam Harris - Death and the Present Moment
Posted: 03 June 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-22

I really enjoyed this talk Sam gave at the 2012 Global Atheist Convention in Australia. If you haven’t seen it here’s the link:

http://youtu.be/ITTxTCz4Ums

Discuss!

Posted: 03 June 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-22

The impromptu “mindfulness” meditation was a nice surprise and actually reminded me of how important it is to give yourself a little reset now and again (daily probably)

This talk resonated with me on many points, none of which were the fear of death. I conquered whatever fear of death I had three years ago when my Mom died in my arms. My biggest struggle has been with life, not death.

I was hesitant to watch this talk as I haven’t really been in the mood for any atheist truth-serum lately as I’ve been struggling with getting my shit together but Harris reminded me of how important it is not to get caught up in ruminations and thought which take one out of the present moment: WHICH IS ALL WE HAVE.

Anyway, Sam surprised me with this talk which was a nice reprieve from the “you have no free-will and life is meaningless” (I kid, I kid)

Posted: 08 July 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-06-24

I’d love to see the talk transcribed. It was the most humbling, and honest talk I’ve heard maybe period.

Posted: 01 October 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-09-29
SimeonGe - 30 September 2012 10:06 PM

Really very interesting speech

Rum Braker - 03 June 2012 07:42 PM

My biggest struggle has been with life, not death.

wise words!

I heard it phrased another way - ‘My only fear in death is reincarnation’.

Posted: 02 October 2012 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-11-14

Personally I felt that the whole solution to fear of death(pain, suffering etc) was not thinking about it (living in the moment)  was absurd. Thats like ignoring the elephant in the room by walking out of it. You still know your mortal in the present moment, you may still feel pain, suffering etc in the present moment.
It does not remove the elephant from the room just from your line of sight.
Living in the present moment as a way to handle fear is just ignoring the issue.
You have terminal cancer that your not treating?
Yes, if I don’t think about it the problem goes away.
Wonder if that works with taxes as well.

To quote Fry from Futurma.
“Thanks to denial, I’m immortal. “

Posted: 12 March 2014 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-03-12

“Life is an emergency.”

I have listened to most (if not all) of Sam’s work available on Youtube… This one has to be the most meaningful one.

I actually try to listen to it at least once a week. There is also a beautifully done summary (about 5 min. or so) with music and edits. Obviously, it cannot capture the whole story, but it does enough to remind you of what’s truly important if you only have 5 min.
Available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JzcCviNDk

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed