2 of 5
Would you vote for an atheist Prez candidate?
Posted: 08 August 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2011-04-26

Most atheists I know believe in alternative medicine, esp, ufos,  astrology, karma and blindly accept Judeo-Christian morality without believing in their supernatural tenants.  You press them deep enough and the craziness is revealed.  I don’t know as many atheists as I do religious nuts but most atheists I know are like Bill Maher, anti-Jesus but pro-pseudo-science.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-08-08

Wow…really? That’s your reasoning? So if you ascribe to thinking that stealing and murder are wrong. Or gluttony and envy, et. al.? Damn, I guess I AM a mystic. Who knew? Well, I’m glad you’re here to guide all of us make believe atheists to the true path. I look forward to killing babies.

Posted: 09 August 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

“Damn, I guess I AM a mystic. Who knew?” 

You really attribute all morality to garbage religion?  Do any posters here even read any of Sam’s books ?  I don’t agree with every word of Sam’s but can we get beyond attributing human morality to mysticism and religion??  The idea that murder is wrong was thought up by mystics?  Astonishing!

[ Edited: 09 August 2012 06:49 AM by mormovies]

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08

Double wow! Dude, you are one smart fella… what with having the uncanny ability to read people’s thoughts and true character underneath layers of ascerbic wit and sarcasm. Kudos. Here I was thinking that morality is intrinsic by nature. I had no idea I was mired in the Judeo-Christian mysticism under which I was raised but always doubted. You must have some mystical qualities your own self, with such insight. Ironic.

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

Weird.  Your expert sarcasm is arguing WITH me.  I attack religion and mystical athiests and you assume I’m pro-murder?  Your genius baffles me.

[ Edited: 09 August 2012 07:26 AM by mormovies]

Posted: 09 August 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08

And your lack of it baffles me. To wit: entirely missing the point in your continued effort to tell us how most atheists you experience are too stupid to realize they are kidding themselves in their haste to call themselves atheists.

Posted: 09 August 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

To wit: entirely missing the point in your continued effort to tell us how most atheists you experience are too stupid to realize they are kidding themselves in their haste to call themselves atheists.

That’s not my point.  All I am saying is that using the label “atheist” is pretty worthless by now.  It’s been so degraded as to be rendered meaningless.  From my experience most atheists are mystics, they believe in the supernatural.  You can call it ‘stupid’ or something else.  IMO, someone is not rational and reasoning just because they call themselves a atheist.  I would love to have an atheist president if the person in question made sense on a whole range of other issues as well.  End of point.  Now, you can go back to your sarcasm.

Posted: 09 August 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-09

Didn’t read all the posts, but here is my take as a new atheist fresh on the road to recovery from Christianity. If the constitution is set up to keep the two separate, why on earth would you vote for someone based on their religion. Let’s remember that you are voting them into a position where- by law- they are to keep the two separate. I see this as being similar to being in charge of hiring teachers for a school, and spending a ton of money to hire Neil Tyson to teach a class on cooking.

Posted: 09 August 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

Exactly.  We should vote based on what a candidate believes (also what he has actually achieved) and not solely on what he does not believe.

Posted: 09 August 2012 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-09

Sam makes a great point about this in one of his videos. I think I saw it as part of a highlight reel so I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it came from.. he said something along the lines of… Someone can have the looks of George Clooney and the social skills of Oprah… and if this person is not a Christian, they are going nowhere in politics in this country. My retelling of this doesn’t do it justice, but a great point by him none the less.

[ Edited: 09 August 2012 09:26 AM by Mssande]

Posted: 09 August 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08
mormovies - 09 August 2012 08:31 AM

All I am saying is that using the label “atheist” is pretty worthless by now.  It’s been so degraded as to be rendered meaningless.  From my experience most atheists are mystics, they believe in the supernatural.  You can call it ‘stupid’ or something else.  IMO, someone is not rational and reasoning just because they call themselves a atheist.

And this is where I take issue. Based on your experience. You also specifically made the charge that people in this forum are “mystical atheists” without citing examples. You’re essentially saying that you know better than most atheists you come across. It’s arrogant. Why are we bothering to discuss atheist subject matter since we’re mostly all mystics?

Posted: 09 August 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

I did not accuse anyone on this forum of anything.  I only commented on most atheists I personally know and meet.  I’ve never met anyone on this forum.  There surely are mystics on this forum, just check out the Jesus thread right now!  I’m not saying I’m better than anyone.  What’s with the accusations?  Others on this thread don’t resort to insults and personal attacks.  My point is that atheist is not a meaningful term.  It only means anti-theist.  That alone does not address an individuals full belief system as a presidential candidate.

Posted: 09 August 2012 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-08-08

It was at first unclear why you were bandying about the term “mystic”. It seemed condescending, and I was challenging you on it. Especially since I have yet to meet one of these atheist mystics. Most non- theists I know are more precisely agnostic, but the term doesn’t bug me. Generally, I think people use the term correctly. Why would a self described mystic call himself an atheist if he knew he wasn’t? Are these people in the Jesus thread borrowing the term? Are you suggesting Cupp is a mystic?

Posted: 09 August 2012 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-26

Believe me, I find it depressing but I keep hoping that advancing away from religion will bring people closer to reason and science but I don’t see it.  I don’t know enough about Cupp to know what her deal is.

Posted: 09 August 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-09

I would love to merely have the opportunity to vote for an atheist Presidential candidate in my lifetime.

2 of 5

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed