Growing up among christians
Posted: 12 May 2006 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2006-05-08

I'm gettin fed up of it.  I'm in nebraska, which, for those of you who don't know, is as christian as anywhere.  rolleyes

I'm in HS right now (sophmore, 16) and have gotten to the point where i just go to a computer in my free time and spend it here cuz everywhere I look at school, theres some republican christian dude thinkin hes all high and mighty with his litttle gold cross necklace and whatnot.

damit, after school sometimes we'll have dudes standing just outside our school's borders handing out bibles.  if i wasn't preocupied listening to music id give em a good ear-lashing, but i know it wouldnt do any good.

our school's parkin lot is always full and I have to park at one of the three surrounding church's lots on the one street alone.  it is nice of them to let me park there; they pry just assume im christian….

is it this bad in other places?

atheists dont get no respect, man.  no respect.  gotta do something, but what? :cry:

Posted: 12 May 2006 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-08

its not that I dont like christians (all my buddies are christian), its just i get tired of their rediculous superstitous beliefs.  hate the game, not the playa i guess. rolleyes

itd be easier even to be jewish.  at least a christian might say “you’re heading in the right direction, but you’re off the path a bit” rather than what he’d say to an atheist like myself, “you’re not even on a path.”.  (not that i really give a rip of course)

im just blowin steam, but it does get frustrating, that’s for sure…gotta go to class 8)

Posted: 12 May 2006 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

Buddy,
Hey, listen to me. Being 16 is hard enough without isolating yourself from potential friends. I don’t think your whole school wakes up every day and tries to think of ways to make your life miserable. Be friendly, happy, well balanced…..and make them wonder what your secret is. Just don’t worry about trying to play in all their reindeer games.

Rod

Posted: 12 May 2006 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Buddy”]im just blowin steam . . .

Do it, man!

I think the vast majority of participants here will understand you completely (and I strongly advise you to simply ignore a few who most certainly won’t).

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 12 May 2006 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-08

Rod-  Thanks dude, for the advice.  Don’t worry, I aint isolating myself (just ask my teachers…)  I’m used to it by now and just like coming to this board whenever I get a chance.  I’m a nice guy. 

Love the atmosphere here!  It’s a THINKER’S rest stop.  Glad I found it.
smile

Posted: 12 May 2006 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2006-05-04

If you just walk around smiling and sometimes say, peace be with you, they’ll think you’ve found “the way”... when in reality, you’ve just found the truth.  I can assure you, being jewish doesn’t help… just ask my other son, jesus’ brother, my shalomie homey. 

Later.  god

ps - of course you all realize i’m just messing with TC, HS, frankfurter, and treblikashit.  there is no god.  there is only truth outside of religion.

Posted: 12 May 2006 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2005-11-11

I was born and grew up in Nebraska’s sandhill country - 1950’s and early ‘60’s.  Graduated High School from a country school.  Believe it or not religion wasn’t such a big deal back then.  It was kind of a low level background noise.  My dad owned a hardware store and was a rock hard atheist.  My mom was a rock hard Nazarene.  No wonder they didn’t get along.  Back then religion was more the women’s thing.  The “real” men I knew, ranchers, workers, hard knuckled men didn’t have much patience with the praying sissies and preachers They didn’t so much proclaim their atheism the way my dad did but didn’t much pay religion any mind.  This contemporary wave of fanaticism won’t last.  Sooner or later the vast majority of sensible people will wake up and see where catering to the cowardly lunatic religious fringe has taken us and cost us, in so many different ways, least of all our heritage as a land of the free and home of the brave.  Keep your head on cool and straight.  Don’t let the bastards get you down.  Remember the scorn the Romans reserved for those who trembled at the mention of the gods.

Posted: 12 May 2006 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2006-04-19

in man….

my mom was jewish, so i called myself a jew, but most of my friends were catholic or some form of christian (there’s so many… how did that happen if they all read the same freaking book?). 

have faith, because none of us from my childhood, catholic, christian, jew, and one muslim….. none of us believes in god or our respective religious roots.

Posted: 12 May 2006 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22
[quote author=“LLPete”]Don’t let the bastards get you down.  Remember the scorn the Romans reserved for those who trembled at the mention of the gods.

non illegitimi carborundum est

Posted: 13 May 2006 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-05-05

To isolate is to harm yourself… why waste time living if you will not accept that everyone is different? Let the christians (darn them for stealing my name) and the other relig’s be themselves, it’s how they are. You may even enjoy their company, the discussions with the intelligent (yes I do mean “smart” ones”) are often very enlightening on the inner workings of a person. Let yoursel find the way in this world of changes. You may fall in love with a christian, that doesn’t mean that you must beleive as she does - you need only love the person, not accept the religion.

“If I had a dime for every person that called me my dad’s name on the phone, I’d be pretty materialistic…”

-Jesus

Posted: 14 May 2006 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

[quote author=“Buddy”]I’m gettin fed up of it.  I’m in nebraska, which, for those of you who don’t know, is as christian as anywhere.  rolleyes

I’m in HS right now (sophmore, 16) and have gotten to the point where i just go to a computer in my free time and spend it here

If you are on a school computer, don’t be surprised when you log in one day and you are denied access.

I imagine in bible-belt Nebraska, forums such as these are considered “dangerous.”

If a beliver approaches you and wants to give you a bible, just say “No thanks.” That’s all you have to do.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 14 May 2006 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2006-05-05

I spent 28 years in Omaha…..it’s as Republican and religious as I think you can get in this country. It can be hard to be out of the mainstream, but you already have the advantage over most people your age because you have an open mind.  What I tell my boys (12, 14 and 19) is to give new people a chance to air their view and get to know you, and if it seems like they can be sympathetic to new thought, go ahead and share. If not, their loss. It seems to have worked pretty well for them so far. Kudos to you for not knuckling under!

Posted: 08 June 2006 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

Surgikate said

Kudos to you for not knuckling under!

Surgikate, you are due thanks also. I know from personal experience the benefits of being raised by a mother who encouraged personal thought and learning, rather than orthodoxy. My mother encouraged her sons to learn the Bible (King James Version, as it happens) in the same way that we study any other important and influential literature, not because it is accurate, well informed, or particularly uplifting morally. Your sons are fortunate to have you. It may be decades before they realize just how lucky they are in this matter. I read the personal histories (here and at Internet Infidels) of people who struggled mightily and suffered greatly to be free of religious bondage. My mother made a free gift of that freedom to me, as you are to your sons.

Posted: 08 June 2006 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

Thanks for your kind words, Ted…..my mother has disowned me for leaving the religion she raised me in, and now tells people I am unhinged because of my decision in favor of rationality. It taught me a lot about what kind of parent I want to be.

Posted: 09 June 2006 01:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“surgikate”]Thanks for your kind words, Ted…..my mother has disowned me for leaving the religion she raised me in, and now tells people I am unhinged because of my decision in favor of rationality. It taught me a lot about what kind of parent I want to be.

Wow . . . that’s a pretty forked up way to learn—makes me appreciate my family that much more, as Persian bizzare as the rest of them are.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 09 June 2006 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Rank
Joined  2006-05-05

I know, Byron….I’m just thankful that I did learn something from it that was useful and will benefit my boys! And I don’t really mind being “crazy like a fox”. I’m just sorry the rest of my immediate family can’t be liberated from their self-imposed prison. I feel very fortunate indeed to have escaped with my mind intact.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed