1 of 2
Q and A for Sam the hiding Harris
Posted: 20 December 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-11-26

I agree people asserting they think god wants or thinks this or that is insane. But having hope that if I’am as good of a person as i can be and I try to help those in need. Then I will have some form of an afterlife better then this “obviously”. So if that is what drove me to have a great life and help all kinds of people, WHY WOULD I BE WRONG? WHY WOULD I BE WRONG TO TRY AND GIVE MYSELF PEACE OF MIND? What would be the difference between that guy ^ (above) and someone saying “This is all I have and ever will have so I will make the most of it”? Delusion? Maybe? But all successful people need some type of delusional quality to succeed! You have to believe that something diff will happen that has not all ready, you have to see it and believe it when it is not actually there! THAT IS CALLED SUCCESS!
The whole I dont see TANGIBLE evidence so its not real, or cant be, or lets not believe till it happens is DUMB! And yes the idea of God is made up by human beings who else would make it up! Same human beings who put a man on the moon, who fought day in and day out against relentless, unforgiving, unstoppable, unfathomable, unforeseen odds. 
So give me a break! People are not dumb for hoping an intended purpose exist. People are dumb for saying they know the ideas, thoughts, and plans of the in-tend-er.
I can respect trying to make a change and DEF. RESPECT CALLING PEOPLE OUT ON LIES! NO MATTER WHO IT IS! <- GETS ME IN TROUBLE ALOT LOL ALWAYS HAS.
But what I can not respect and obviously alot of others too and why you are just a fad/stepping stone for some one else (along the same lines as you) “this is my opinion just like everybody else has one’’ is that IF YOU WANT TO FIX SOMETHING YOU GO WHERE THE PROBLEM IS not seclude yourself in some wanna be esoteric location. Coming out every couple years bad mouthing churches. Do you know what the churches do/have done where im from not to mention WORLDWIDE?  Do you know they help the homeless/HOMELESS CHILDREN SICK CHILDREN???? Have dozens and dozens of charities helping millions? Receiving donations for almost every charity that helps people in need. WHAT DO YOU DO?????? WHAT MONEY DO YOU RAISE????? WHO DO YOU HELP???? YOURSELF??? THERE IS NO ONE SIZE FITS ALL, WHAT HELPS YOUR DISTINGUISHED LIFE DOES NOT HELP SOMEONE WITH EXTREMELY ALMOST UNIMAGINABLE CIRCUMSTANCES. Sure the church bash somethings they prob shouldnt old habits die hard and who has not made mistakes. If we go by your thinking and logic of the church hurts so lets get rid of it PEOPLE ARE THE CAUSE OF ALL OF THAT TROUBLE/NONSENSE why not do away with us just like the church?

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

Not saying people willing to die for the name of god is a good thing. But, we can predicate alot of things on that lucid belief that “THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE AND I’AM WILLING TO DIE FOR IT” including your precious space explorations “which are pretty much as scientific as you can get”

Posted: 20 December 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

Would anybody like to re-tort?  :p

Posted: 20 December 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2012-08-11
Akdrew88 - 20 December 2012 04:26 PM

Would anybody like to re-tort?  :p

I’d love to, but not sure what your position is, exactly.  Can you make a more concise statement of the position you want to discuss? (without rambling and using the caps-lock button)  It seemed you were initially asking what the problem is with people who behave themselves specifically because they are motivated by the promise of a nice afterlife.  Do I have that correct?

[ Edited: 20 December 2012 05:27 PM by Ice Monkey]
 Signature 

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people
~ M. Teresa, Fruitcake of Calcutta

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

We are obviously talking about SAM HARRIS and things he thinks people should believe.
What position do you need to know to answer my questions?
Plain and simple dont avoid the real questions at hand by asking what I believe in. Thats irrelevant
Your problem is you follow. Now you have broken off to much. Listen and learn but NEVER NEVER follow be YOU not a product of Sam’s mediation lmao!

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

I asked a few questions. LOL.
Answer whatever you would like.
How ever you would like to.
I put quite a bit of detail its your job to critic and make it concise. I have to put REAL LIFE situations to reinforce my beliefs
Its like 2 paragraphs.
But don’t tell me I need to do something because thats what you want. I dont care what you want

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11
Akdrew88 - 21 December 2012 08:22 AM

We are obviously talking about SAM HARRIS and things he thinks people should believe.
What position do you need to know to answer my questions?
Plain and simple dont avoid the real questions at hand by asking what I believe in. Thats irrelevant
Your problem is you follow. Now you have broken off to much. Listen and learn but NEVER NEVER follow be YOU not a product of Sam’s mediation lmao!

I wasn’t avoiding your questions.  I was asking for clarification as to what they were, exactly.  Your OP was so poorly written, I had to ask for clarification.  If it’s too much to ask, don’t worry about it.  With your apparent jihad against the English language, I’m sure you get this all the time.

Signature 

~ Hitch

I prefer the full-on embrace of reality to the spiritual masturbation that is religion.
~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

The English language? Or punctuation? LMAO. No because I obviously dont write alot never have and dont really care to lol. I actually talk face to face with people. WAY WAY WAY more then I’d ever ever write. Punctuation can be done with computer programs nowadays WHATS GONNA FIX YOUR TRAIN OF THOUGHT?? CRICKETS CRICKETS. You know exactly what i mean with or with out a common. I see this as a last defense of someone who is wrong.

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

What more lucidity do you need? R u kidding?

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

I almost feel sorry for the sheets you were conceived in. Yes, Christopher Hitchens was a very analytically smart man. But, you paying homage to his quote thats a close to common sense as the heat is hot. Tells me all I need to know.

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Joined  2012-11-26

You considered words punctuations and im the dumb one.
Experience is knowledge not periods and commas but here is some anyway LOOK THEY MAKE FACES TOOO HAHAHA smile raspberry

Posted: 21 December 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11

I have no idea what you are going on about.  You seem to be suffering from some sort of AspersionTourettes.  I’ll leave you to your ramblings.

DNFTT

Signature 

~ Hitch

~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 21 December 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-12-15

Thanks “Ice Monkey” for trying to treat “Akdrew88"s almost incoherent outburst with restrained respect.  I’m simply shaking my head wondering WTF?!  And I’ve never used that expression publicly before.

I can understand feeling upset at any challenge to one’s belief system, and am not surprised at over-reactions.  I’m also not at all bothered by someone’s trouble with written communication.  I could be concerned if it suggests the sort of intolerant rage that Sam Harris calls attention to.

I’m just not sure what to think.  So I’ll stop.

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2820
Joined  2005-04-29
Akdrew88 - 20 December 2012 04:14 PM

I agree people asserting they think god wants or thinks this or that is insane. But having hope that if I’am as good of a person as i can be and I try to help those in need. Then I will have some form of an afterlife better then this “obviously”. So if that is what drove me to have a great life and help all kinds of people, WHY WOULD I BE WRONG? WHY WOULD I BE WRONG TO TRY AND GIVE MYSELF PEACE OF MIND? . . .

You seem to be implying that lying to yourself and perhaps to your children is necessary for you to gain goodness and peace of mind. Am I reading you correctly?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 22 December 2012 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-08-11
nv - 21 December 2012 08:47 PM

I agree people asserting they think god wants or thinks this or that is insane. But having hope that if I’am as good of a person as i can be and I try to help those in need. Then I will have some form of an afterlife better then this “obviously”. So if that is what drove me to have a great life and help all kinds of people, WHY WOULD I BE WRONG? WHY WOULD I BE WRONG TO TRY AND GIVE MYSELF PEACE OF MIND? . . .

You seem to be implying that lying to yourself and perhaps to your children is necessary for you to gain goodness and peace of mind. Am I reading you correctly?

That’s what I thought.  He wants to know what the harm in doing so is, as far as I could tell. 
We may never know.  He has the opportunity for a decent discussion here, if he’s really interested, though there’s no point if he won’t clarify his position, or continues to tell me what mine is.

Signature 

~ Hitch

~ S.A. Ladoucier

Posted: 22 December 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2820
Joined  2005-04-29
Ice Monkey - 22 December 2012 07:56 AM
nv - 21 December 2012 08:47 PM

That’s what I thought.  He wants to know what the harm in doing so is, as far as I could tell. 
We may never know.  He has the opportunity for a decent discussion here, if he’s really interested, though there’s no point if he won’t clarify his position, or continues to tell me what mine is.

Yes, once his position is clarified a bit, we could perhaps engage in discussing some of the pros and cons of religious faith.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed