1 of 3
Northern CA (Bay Area) meeting/party?
Posted: 22 May 2006 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I'm planning to be in Petaluma, CA (near Santa Rosa/~45 minutes North of the Golden Gate Bridge on 101) for my grandmother's 100th birthday in late July, and I expect there are a lot more of us Sam Harris fan types living in such a clearly depraved area of the country . . . so how about getting together?

To be perfectly honest I don't expect this idea to bear much fruit (if any), but it's certainly worth a shot! There's even a stastical chance that Sam could be visiting Stanford around then and might decide to join us (well . . . the odds aren't 0)!

If you live in the area or you're just going to be there in late July as well and like this idea get me your email address and, if something actually does work out, I'll send out a group email and we can discuss it by using the "Reply to All" function.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 22 May 2006 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“SkepticX”]I’m planning to be in Petaluma, CA (near Santa Rosa/~45 minutes North of the Golden Gate Bridge on 101) for my grandmother’s 100th birthday in late July, and I expect there are a lot more of us Sam Harris fan types living in such a clearly depraved area of the country . . . so how about getting together?

To be perfectly honest I don’t expect this idea to bear much fruit (if any), but it’s certainly worth a shot! There’s even a stastical chance that Sam could be visiting Stanford around then and might decide to join us (well . . . the odds aren’t 0)!

If you live in the area or you’re just going to be there in late July as well and like this idea get me your email address and, if something actually does work out, I’ll send out a group email and we can discuss it by using the “Reply to All” function.

Byron

SkepticX, I think that is a splendid idea. I might be in area myself. If so, I will bring extra bibles to pass out. If any of you intellectuals have a accoustic guitar available (and knows how to play it), I can teach the group some fun hymns and songs (these can be handy in times of need). Plus, I can bring some tracts and we can do downtown and hand them out to everybody, probably should start up market street. Those wiley rich white collar criminals need salvation as much as anybody.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2006-05-02

ha! ha! ha! that’s funny.  wow, i hope beyond all hope, that thechampion was at least the slightest bit sarcastic, knowing that such a suggestion would be as rude as us suggesting that he come out to the streets with us declaring there is no god and handing out pentagrams.  i’ll do yours if you do mine tc.  say… would that exchange be good?  your soul for mine?  would god look at that trade as an honorable sacrafice, tc?  you would spend eternity in hell and i would go to heaven, but i’m sure god would put you in the extra special section, being that you sacraficed yourself and all.  think about it… wwjd?  if you really love me more than yourself you would go to hell in my place.

Posted: 23 May 2006 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2006-03-05

Champ, with your bibles and acoustic guitar hymns and such you sound like David Koresh.
raspberry

Posted: 23 May 2006 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  842
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“treblinka”]Is this a open invite ?

A great time to debate the holocau$t.

Betcha yer rethinkin’ this idea now, aintcha SkepticX? (And thank the non-existent gods I don’t live in California! [all apologies to Mia and others freethinkers who do live there :wink: ])

Signature 

People have said that an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards would produce the works of Shakespeare, but the internet has shown this to be wrong.

Posted: 24 May 2006 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Celsus”]Betcha yer rethinkin’ this idea now, aintcha SkepticX? (And thank the non-existent gods I don’t live in California! [all apologies to Mia and others freethinkers who do live there :wink: ])

Not at all. I’m looking forward to it!

For obvious reasons I’m taking full control (more or less) of who gets follow-up information, at least initially, but even if someone leaks the info, no big deal—I expect we’ve all dealt with more than our fair share of knuckleheads, and in this case I’m pretty sure these ones are harmless, even just socially speaking. If it works out (and it appears to have more potential for success than I expected), it’ll be fun.

I’ll more than likely be seeing (some of) you guys soon!

Take care,

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 27 May 2006 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2819
Joined  2005-04-29

My reaction to the idea of Treblinka showing up is to puke violently.

But on second thought, it would be fun to see him/her socially ostracized. Like in high school.

Then again, maybe he/she will turn out to be an amazing wit, too embarassed even to refer to the Holocaust in person.

I’m not counting on anything other than being surprised by everyone who shows up at this little party. Even if I’ll need to shell out hard cash to cover my responsibilities, I’ll be there.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 29 May 2006 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

I am intrigued.  I would think that meeting would be a thrill overall.  Keep this posted.  I am game.

meet at a restaurant?  Go to a Giant’s game? (kidding).  If TheChampion shows up, we can take him to a strip club on Market Street and deflower him.

If Treblinka shows, we’ll just heckle him for a minute and then pretend he is invisible the rest of the night as Homunculus has suggested.

Noggin

Posted: 29 May 2006 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
[quote author=“Noggin”]If TheChampion shows up, we can take him to a strip club on Market Street and deflower him.

Thanks Noggin for the offer, but if there, I’ll wait outside, thank you. grin

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 30 May 2006 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-05

Treblinka, all you do is whine.  Worthless coward.

Posted: 30 May 2006 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14
[quote author=“TheChampion”][quote author=“Noggin”]If TheChampion shows up, we can take him to a strip club on Market Street and deflower him.

Thanks Noggin for the offer, but if there, I’ll wait outside, thank you. grin

I’m not a fan of strip clubs either.  I was just being cheeky and finding an amusing imagery in picturing you flailing about in abject terror inside one.

Noggin

Posted: 30 May 2006 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

Champ, spend an hour at Centerfold’s on Broadway and even you will be deconverted.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 30 May 2006 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
[quote author=“homunculus”]Champ, spend an hour at Centerfold’s on Broadway and even you will be deconverted.

Homunculus, I can only imagine. Therefore, I shant not even tempt myself.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2006 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-03-05

Homunculus, I can only imagine. Therefore, I shant not even tempt myself.

You can only imagine?  Champ I genuinely think you would benefit a great deal from a lapdance.

Posted: 31 May 2006 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“Ian23435”]You can only imagine?  Champ I genuinely think you would benefit a great deal from a lapdance.

Ian, this brings up an interesting perspective. Champ, even if he weren’t married, may well be able to evade temptations of places such as Centerfolds. It’s anyone’s guess. But I’ll bet he harbors thoughts about the prospects. Thoughts like, “Those women are corrupt sinners, doing Satan’s evil work. Until they change their wicked ways, they are not worthy of my company or that of anyone who lives a morally upright and proper life.”

Champ doesn’t understand that his attitude (assuming for a moment that my above description is correct) itself is the primary reason our society tends to ostracize call girls and private dancers. He probably has no idea that these women are every bit as decent as any other group of human beings. He may or may not realize that crime is not rampant in strip clubs, and that they are not sleazy places in comparison to any other category of stores, clubs or taverns.

Finally, Champion, are you aware of the fact that getting a lap dance once in a while from a young cutie might actually help your marriage? That it would not result in anyone stealing you away from your wife? That you would not as a result be inundated with constant carnal cravings?

Just curious, friend.

Signature 

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 31 May 2006 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“homunculus”]
Finally, Champion, are you aware of the fact that getting a lap dance once in a while from a young cutie might actually help your marriage? That it would not result in anyone stealing you away from your wife? That you would not as a result be inundated with constant carnal cravings?

Now you’re getting into an interesting area of discussion, the age-old emotional divide between men and women, and what they deem potentially destructive to the relationship.

My man getting a lapdance from a young cutie helps our marriage. . . how, exactly? Does it not only help him? And the cutie, by way of getting [our] dollar bills tucked into her thong?

Unless otherwise persuaded (feel free, do your darnedest, I’m all eyes wink), I’m with the man who decides to come home and ask me  to dance in his lap. The question is, are such (non-theistic) men mere myth?

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

1 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed