1 of 2
Canada Arrests Homegrown Radical Islamists
Posted: 03 June 2006 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

From the Toronto Star:

How Internet monitoring sparked a CSIS investigation into a suspected homegrown terror cell
Jun. 3, 2006.  . . . Last night's dramatic police raid and arrest of as many as a dozen men — with more to come — marks the culmination of Canada's largest ever terrorism investigation into an alleged homegrown cell.

The chain of events began two years ago, sparked by local teenagers roving through Internet sites, reading and espousing anti-Western sentiments and vowing to attack at home, in the name of oppressed Muslims here and abroad. . . . The investigation began back in 2004, when CSIS was monitoring Internet sites and tracing the paths of Canadians believed to have ties to international terrorist organizations. Local youths espousing fundamentalist views drew special attention, sources say. . .

From the Captain's Quarters Blog:

The group had developed a list of targets, according to the Star's sources, and an impressive list at that. With their three tons of ammonium nitrate, they could have selected the Canadian Security Intelligence Service offices in Toronto, Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, or any of the nearby population centers for maximum casualties. They appeared to have particular interest in the CSIS due to media reports of racial and religious profiling. It comes as one of the war's most pungent ironies that these Muslims got captured by the very people they targeted and offered more proof of the wisdom in considering Islam an important review criterion.

"Review criterion" seems to be an oblique reference to something its opponents unwisely call "racial profiling".

Posted: 03 June 2006 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

From the Mounties:

ORONTO, June 3 /CNW/ - On Friday, June 2, 2006, members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and partners of the Integrated National Security Enforcement Team arrested 12 individuals and charged them under Section 83 of the Criminal Code of Canada.

This group took steps to acquire three tonnes of ammonium nitrate and other components necessary to create explosive devices,” said Assistant Commissioner Mike McDonell. “To put this in context, the 1995 bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people took one tonne of ammonium nitrate.”

Arrested and charged with offences under the Criminal Code of Canada are:

1. Fahim Ahmad, 21, of Robinstone Drive, Toronto, Ontario;
2. Zakaria Amara, 20, of Periwinkle Crescent, Mississauga, Ontario;
3. Asad Ansari, 21, of Rosehurst Drive, Mississauga, Ontario;
4. Shareef Abdelhaleen, 30, of Lowville Heights, Mississauga, Ontario;
5. Qayyum Abdul Jamal, 43, of Montevideo Road, Mississauga, Ontario;
6. Mohammed Dirie, 22, Kingston, Ontario;
7. Yasim Abdi Mohamed, 24, Kingston, Ontario;
8. Jahmaal James, 23, of Trudelle Street, Toronto, Ontario;
9. Amin Mohamed Durrani, 19, of Stonehill Court, Toronto, Ontario;
10. Steven Vikash Chand alias Abdul Shakur, 25, of Treverton Drive, Toronto, Ontario;
11. Ahmad Mustafa Ghany, 21, of Robin Drive, Mississauga, Ontario;
12. Saad Khalid, 19, of Eclipse Avenue, Mississauga, Ontario.

“Our investigation and arrests prevented the assembly of explosive devices and attacks being carried out. At all times, the focus of our investigation was the safety and protection of the public,” concluded McDonell.

Posted: 03 June 2006 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

BARCEPUNDIT is tracking this fast breaking story with:

A MAJOR TERRORIST PLOT has been thwarted in Canada: police have arrested 17 people all over the country in a big anti-terrorist operation. The Toronto Globe and Mail says the planned blasts would have potentially been “three times more devastating than the Oklahoma City bombing.”

It’s worth noting that this comes after yesterday’s major anti-terror sweep in the UK, which opens the possibility there’s a connection between the two; after all, Scotland Yard said the people arrested in the bomb factory were not planning to hit on British soil so we can safely assume that this means it would have been abroad.

It’s even more worth noting that a top Canadian spy official had warned that “many potential terrorists already reside in the country and have trained in al-Qaida training camps” and could be planning an attack.

As the saying goes, stay tuned.

UPDATE: “The exact targets of these young terrorists were not revealed, but it is their profile that is most shocking: young Canadian Muslims who have somehow become radicalized while growing up in Canada.” The National Post looks at the roots of the problem in a long article.

Posted: 04 June 2006 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22

“review criterion”

Do you believe in Allah and the Last Day?

Posted: 04 June 2006 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

_

Thanks for posting, Ted. Always freaky to note their ages, which I guess aligns not only with blind faith, but with being generally impressionable and bursting with testosterone. AND arrogance, being that they actually hinted in any way about this on the web? Idiots. If we have this much to fear from a bunch of blundering kids, what will we see once a really clever group begins plotting.

How easy is it for just anyone to get ammonium nitrate? What’s its ‘normal’ use?  Are sales of it monitored, or was it bought somehow on the sly?

_

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 05 June 2006 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

It is a fertilizer….....and, yes, at least since Oklahoma City, it is monitored.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 05 June 2006 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Ammonium nitrate has significant use in agriculture and mining and, catastrophically, terrorism.

December 13th, 2005   Contact: Derick Corbett
United States Congressman - John Linder
LINDER SUBCOMMITTEE CONDUCTS MARK-UP OF H.R. 3197, THE “SECURE HANDLING OF AMMONIUM NITRATE ACT OF 2005”

Washington, D.C. - Today, the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Prevention of Nuclear and Biological Attack, chaired by Congressman John Linder (R-GA), held a hearing on and conducted a mark-up of H.R. 3197, the “Secure Handling of Ammonium Nitrate Act of 2005.” The Subcommittee moved to forward the bill favorably to the full Committee by a unanimous vote.

“Farmers use ammonium nitrate as a nitrogen-rich fertilizer, and miners use the agent to blast coal out of rock,” Linder said. “Ammonium nitrate has also been deliberately abused, and unfortunately has also become known as a popular terrorist tool of choice, most notably in the 1995 Oklahoma City bombings, the 1998 East African Embassy bombings, and the November 2003 bombings in Istanbul.”  . . .

Terrorists continue to look for common, easily-accessible ingredients to manufacture weapons to cause mass death and destruction. Given the wide availability, accessibility, ease of bomb making, cost, and history of prior use, ammonium nitrate fertilizer is an obvious material for making large explosives. In 2001, 2.7 million tons of agricultural ammonium nitrate alone was traded on the international market. In March of 2004, however, British anti-terror police seized half a ton of ammonium nitrate from suspects accused of being affiliated with Islamic terrorists. Later that month, over 3,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate was stolen by terrorists in Thailand.

Posted: 05 June 2006 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

Just when I feel the lulling of tolerance for what other people believe (I am going through a bump w/ my theist wife recently) I read news like this and just get consumed with focused anger at those who profess to have supreme faith that extends into the realm of “Sure Knowledge”.

I wonder, Ted, maybe it is not all bad.  Maybe these guys hate America so badly because of our politics, not our predominant western god.  Perhaps it’s the short shorts our females wear?  MTV?  50cent rappah?

I need it to be something other than their sure knowledge that their god is truer than any one elses god.

Noggin

Posted: 05 June 2006 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

This article is from Canada.

For everyone who thought Canada could cower in a corner of the planet, unnoticed and unthreatened by evil men — even when the most menacing of a very bad lot has twice referenced this country as a target for attack — take a good, hard look at what’s been presented and what’s being alleged.

Three tonnes of ammonium nitrate, thrice the amount used by Timothy McVeigh to demolish a government building in Oklahoma City. Cellphone detonators. Switches. Computer hard drive. A 9-mm pistol. Soldering gun. Camouflage gear.

And 17 males — born here or reared here, certainly settled here, some of them little more than children — formally remanded yesterday on terrorism-related charges.

If the accusations prove true, this isn’t just slumming with jihad. For the benighted who claim that the war on terrorism is terrorism: Here is your war.

Noggin, I’m not sure I can help. You remember how The End of Faith opens with a description of a young man’s preparation for a homicide bombing, its ghastly completion, and the subsequent rejoicing by the murderer’s parents and friends. Sam then asks “Why is it so easy—you-could-almost-bet-your-life-on-it easy—to guess the young man’s religion?”

The homicide bombers are the products of Islam. They hate the freedoms of Western countries, not just the United States, but also our mild mannered neighbor to the north. They hate those freedoms, I surmise, in part because they have not prepared themselves well to live in a modern, technological society. They have done little or nothing to deserve the respect of their fellow Canadians. I think that the young Moslem men also bitterly resent the West’s liberation of women from Islamic repression. It must gall them to see how frequently their sisters and would-be dates prefer the company of non-Moslem men. (“I wouldn’t have to put up with women’s contempt and uppity ways if we were back home in Islamistan.”) Islam stands ready to gratify their frustration with a consoling myth—all their problems are the faults of unbelievers.

The young Moslem men arrested in Canada Friday faced the problems that many other first and second generation immigrants have faced when living in a free country. So far as I know, it is only Moslems who resort to mass murder like this. (The only exception that comes to mind is the demented Timothy McVeigh.) So, yeah, sad to say, the problem is Islam—both the radicals who terrorize and the “moderates” who facilitate their religious delusions. Has any Canadian Moslem spoken up to denounce Moslem terrorism? I haven’t heard it, and I looked.

I have had pointed disagreements with Christians on this forum. I regret the religious indoctrination they had to endure as children and which they pass on to their own children, world without end, amen. Still, they and I know that there is no danger of our disagreements leading to violence on their side or mine. Islam is not similarly enlightened.

Posted: 06 June 2006 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

Good points Ted

I also recall a thread done here months ago entitled “Why do they hate us?” focusing on Islam, planes, high speed and twin towers and how that translated into a palpable hatred for the west.

I recall that it was pointed out that our support of eastern nations such as Israel has a lot to do with their hatred towards us.  But I was not convinced that could be the entire impetus behind the twin towers.

I am also unconvinced it is because our women are liberated, or that practically everything we do flies in the face of their creeds and codes.

But then again, I am not them, so therefore I am not qualified to comment.  Just left to speculate sideways with a huge question mark hanging over my head.

Noggin

Posted: 06 June 2006 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

The vast majority of Canada’s Muslims are strictly law-abiding. And, to their credit, many Muslim leaders have denounced violence unequivocally, noting that it is the responsibility of the Muslim community itself to act to stop the incitement of hatred by some members of its own families, educational and religious institutions.

As Tarek Fatah, of the Muslim Canadian Congress, says: “We can’t just go on behaving as if everything is normal,” adding there are “fascist cult believers and they need to be combatted within the Muslim community.”

Clearly, there are simple truths arising from the weekend events, most notably that all 17 of the people arrested are Muslims. Our important efforts at cultural understanding cannot disguise that fact.

Around the world, Muslim extremists have launched numerous terror acts. Many invoke Islam as a justification for their violence. And they have often hit Western targets on the grounds that our society and our way of life are an affront to Islam as they perceive it. In England, a few radical Islamic religious leaders have even openly called for acts of violence.

Posted: 14 June 2006 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-06-13

[quote author=“Ted Shepherd”]

The young Moslem men arrested in Canada Friday faced the problems that many other first and second generation immigrants have faced when living in a free country. So far as I know, it is only Moslems who resort to mass murder like this. (The only exception that comes to mind is the demented Timothy McVeigh.) So, yeah, sad to say, the problem is Islam—both the radicals who terrorize and the “moderates” who facilitate their religious delusions. Has any Canadian Moslem spoken up to denounce Moslem terrorism? I haven’t heard it, and I looked.

Actually, yes Canadian Muslim men have come forward and denounced terrorism with radicals.  In fact, some went on the news and openly asked that all mosk leaders inform the police when they hear radical talks, that they cut off funding to these people, and that the younger generation be more closely monitored since they seem to be the most gullable.

Since I live in Canada, I’ve heard this quite a bit on the local and national news.  Many muslims are outraged that such a thing could happen in Canada, especially with homegrown terrorists.  Incase you wanted to check out the news groups which I know covered the stories of muslims denouncing terrorists, they were CTV News and CBC News…sorry but I dont actually have links.

Posted: 14 June 2006 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2006-05-28

We really need to have a more secure system at our Mexican and Canadian borders…I wish I knew what that might be, though. The next terrorist attack will more than likely come from terrorists who came through Canada or Mexico.

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-06-13

[quote author=“Mulaka”]The next terrorist attack will more than likely come from terrorists who came through Canada or Mexico.

What do you base this claim on?

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2006-05-28

[quote author=“SpringC”][quote author=“Mulaka”]The next terrorist attack will more than likely come from terrorists who came through Canada or Mexico.

What do you base this claim on?

It’s a pretty logical conclusion.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/03/27/radioactive.smuggling/newt1.radioactive.america.jpg

WASHINGTON (CNN)—Two teams of government investigators using fake documents were able to enter the United States with enough radioactive sources to make two dirty bombs, according to a federal report made available Monday.

The investigators purchased a “small quantity” of radioactive materials from a commercial source while posing as employees of a fictitious company and brought the materials into the United States through checkpoints on the northern and southern borders, according to a Government Accountability Office report prepared for Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations Chairman Norm Coleman, a Minnesota Republican.

“It’s just an indictment of the system that it’s easier to get radiological material than it is to get cold medicine,” said a senior subcommittee staffer about the findings.

The report, along with two others by the GAO on the subject of smuggling and detection of nuclear materials, were provided to reporters by congressional sources in advance of the first of two hearings by the subcommittee scheduled to begin Tuesday.

The focus will be on what the federal government has done to protect the country against nuclear terrorism. This week’s hearings come after almost three years of bipartisan and bicameral investigations into the subject.

A second GAO report notes that while the departments of State, Energy and Defense have provided radiation-detection equipment to 36 countries since 1994 to combat nuclear smuggling, operating the equipment has proven challenging.

Those challenges include technical limitations of some of the equipment, a lack of supporting infrastructure at some border sites and corruption of some foreign border security officials.

The report also notes that the State Department, the lead interagency coordinator in this effort, has not maintained a master list of U.S.-funded radiation-detection equipment in foreign countries.

Without such a list, program managers at the agencies involved “cannot accurately assess if equipment is operational and being used as intended; determine the equipment needs of countries where they plan to provide assistance; or detect if an agency has unknowingly supplied duplicative equipment,” the report says.

It further criticizes the State Department, saying that “without taking steps to ensure that all previously provided radiation-detection equipment, specifically hand-held equipment, is adequately maintained and remains operational, State cannot ensure the continued effectiveness or long-term sustainability of this equipment.”

A third GAO report observes that, while the Department of Homeland Security has made progress in deploying radiation-detection equipment at U.S. ports—which include 670 portal monitors and more than 19,000 pieces of hand-held radiation detection equipment as of last December—the agency’s program goals are “unrealistic” and its cost estimate is “uncertain.”

GAO’s analysis concluded that the program may exceed its budget by $342 million.

David McIntyre, a spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, told CNN that the agency disagreed with the GAO over the risk significance of the materials taken across the border, but then said he didn’t know what materials were involved.

The NRC ranks radioactive materials by order of their security significance, such as radioactivity, dispersability and how attractive they might be to terrorists.

On the issue of the fake NRC documents downloaded from the Internet and doctored by the GAO investigators to get their shipment past border officials, McIntyre said, “We are concerned about their ability to counterfeit an NRC document, and we are taking steps to address that.”

The steps include finding ways to make NRC documents more difficult to counterfeit and working with customs officials if they need information about NRC licenses or licensees.

Posted: 14 June 2006 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22

[quote author=“SpringC”]Incase you wanted to check out the news groups which I know covered the stories of muslims denouncing terrorists, they were CTV News and CBC News…sorry but I dont actually have links.

I’ll believe that muslims denounce terrorism as soon as Al Queda members get publically beheaded by their own people—until then, it’s just a phony show for naive westerners such as you who want to believe that islam is compatible with civilization.

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed