Jewish family flees Delaware school district's aggressive Ch
Posted: 08 July 2006 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

Jewish family flees Delaware school district's aggressive Christianity
by JewsOnFirst.org, June 28, 2006

A large Delaware school district promoted Christianity so aggressively that a Jewish family felt it necessary to move to Wilmington, two hours away, because they feared retaliation for filing a lawsuit. The religion (if any) of a second family in the lawsuit is not known, because they're suing as Jane and John Doe; they also fear retaliation. Both families are asking relief from "state-sponsored religion."

The behavior of the Indian River School District board's behavior suggests the families' fears are hardly groundless.
http://www.jewsonfirst.org/06b/indianriver.html

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 27 July 2006 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

~snip
Among numerous specific examples in the complaint was what happened at plaintiff Samantha Dobrich’s graduation in 2004 from the district’s high school. She was the only Jewish student in her graduating class.  The complaint relates that local pastor, Jerry Fike, in his invocation, followed requests for “our heavenly Father’s” guidance for the graduates with:

I also pray for one specific student, that You be with her and guide her in the path that You have for her. And we ask all these things in Jesus’ name

Rab.  How did you find that web page.  I read the first three or four paragraphs.  This is depressing.  Do you think this really went down the way that it is being reported in this Jewish article?  Christians singling a jew out like that in a public prayer? hm.

I detect a twinge of hyperbole/persecution complex but who knows.  If it is true, it is incredibly dispicable.  Thanks for the link.

**scratching his head in amazement**

Noggin

Posted: 27 July 2006 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

That story is grim indeed. I wondered what the news has been since that graduation in 2004, so I asked Google.

has an article dated just two weeks ago from a Frederick County website.

The Dobriches’ son Alex, then in the sixth grade, rose up to make a simple statement - “I feel bad when kids in class
call me Jewboy” - but the local vultures hooted at him, with one attender screaming at the young boy
to “take your yarmulke off.”

Local politicians rose and further blasted away at the Dobriches, with one former school board member even
hinting that they might “disappear.” References to the
Ku Klux Klan began to emerge in the threats.

The talk-radio crowd got louder, shriller, and bolder. Young Alex
was routinely called a “Christ-killer” and began hiding his
yarmulke for fear of his personal safety. The family began facing more and more threats.

A well-trafficked right-wing website published the Dobriches’
names, home address, and telephone number, instigating even more smothering harassment of the Jewish family.

The Dobriches purchased a second home in Wilmington to protect their children, but eventually the
financial drain forced the family to sell the Indian River home. Samantha dropped out of college
and lapsed into depression. The Dobriches (along with the other family) filed their complaint describing
the above incidents and others. The lawsuit is pending.

Samantha Dobrich wrote this:

, the html version of the file http://courts.delaware.gov/BBMC/pdf/dobrich_03.pdf.
Her short, mild statement does not address the abuse she suffered.

There’s a discussion of the issue here:  
Our Constitutional system generally protects the rights of minorities from pure democracy and the resulting tyranny of the
majority. We’ll see how it works out in the Dobrich case.

Posted: 27 July 2006 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

I posted too soon. A little more research got me the update I wanted.

In February 2006, the Indian River District School Board unanimously rejected a six-figure settlement offer from the lawyers of the two families in a public meeting. The former school board president told the media, “Our court case, where we have been standing up to the ACLU, provides the opportunity for the federal government to permanently uphold my right not to be treated as a second class citizen, or to have to move to the back of the bus.”

Attorney Thomas Allingham, who represents the Dobrich family, said that the plaintiffs remained open to the possibility that the case could be settled. But the case is set for trial in June 2007 in Wilmington.

Nedd Kareiva’s website, StoptheACLU.org, remained under the radar for four months after he posted the personal contact information of the Dobrich family.  It wasn’t until July 1, 2006 that a blog called Dispatches from the Culture Wars picked up the story and a commenter noted that StoptheACLU.org had posted the Dobrich family’s home address and phone number.

Posted: 27 July 2006 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  424
Joined  2006-05-28

Chistians at their best. Idiots.  We should be very scared of how our country is turning out.  Before too long, those who do not believe in God will be persecuted and killed here in the U.S.

It’s coming.

Posted: 28 July 2006 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1835
Joined  2006-03-26

[quote author=“Noggin”]
Rab.  How did you find that web page.

I read it on another message board and thought this would be a good forum to pass it on.

Signature 

Bill Maher’s New Rule About Religious Tests for Office

Sam explains the difference between the belief in Elvis and belief in Jesus

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Posted: 28 July 2006 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

switch wept.

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

Posted: 28 July 2006 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2006-07-08

more and more, I feel that may signature reads true.  I keep trying to wake up, and I cannot.

Signature 

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

-James Joyce

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed