Engaging in dialog with "the other side"
Posted: 28 February 2005 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2005-02-10

I think it would be useful to try and have a discussion with those that don't share our opinions. The way to convince people is by addressing their concerns with reasoned arguments backed up by facts.

So, I'm wondering if there are any lists of sites which meet the following criteria:

1. Basically conservative in outlook.
  2. Not given to name calling or character assassination.
  3. Have postings dealing with policy, as opposed to just comments on current events.
  4. Allow comments to be posted to original entries.

If such a list exists perhaps someone can post a link to it. Otherwise how about adding suggestions to this topic.

Posted: 28 February 2005 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

If you could convince the faithful by reasoned discussion and facts, we wouldnt have read Sam’s book.

Most discussions with Christians get mired down in discussions of the veracity of the various versions and verses of the Bible, and that is a dead end.  Christians themselves don’t agree on the interpretation of various passages. 

I read this site.  Sometimes the discussions are very good between the believers and non believers.

http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/index.php?

Posted: 28 February 2005 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2004-12-21

The way to convince people is by addressing their concerns with reasoned arguments backed up by facts.

I agree with Iisbliss.  Discussion with most of them is pointless, frustrating, and, IMHO an ego trip.  I have been guilty of engaging in myself, and I always feel kind of foolish afterwards.  My (our) arguments are based on reality (one would hope) while theirs are not.  How can you possibly reconsile the two?

Last fall, my wife and I drove to San Francisco to see a couple of our children.  On the way we stopped at the meteor crater near Falstaff AZ.  While standing on the rim, I overheard a couple of xtians discussing how the crator was formed, in historical times, and deploring the literature and information available in the site’s gift shop.  Did I try to engage these ignorant morons in conversation?  What’s the point?  I bought a 450myo Trilobite and left!

The same thing happened at the Grand Canyon.  The xtians were thrilled that the gift shops were selling a flood-orientated book about the canyon.  I actually heard xtians heckeling the tour guides! 

This generation of xtians is hopeless, I am focused on the next generation, where there is still a chance.

Pete

Signature 

http://powerlessnolonger.com

Posted: 01 March 2005 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“hampsteadpete”]I agree with Iisbliss. Discussion with most of them is pointless, frustrating, and, IMHO an ego trip. I have been guilty of engaging in myself, and I always feel kind of foolish afterwards. My (our) arguments are based on reality (one would hope) while theirs are not.  How can you possibly reconsile the two?

I agree as well, though rather than genuine attempts to engage or ego trips, I think some people just enjoy pulling their strings to see what sound bits they can get to spew forth. It can be amusing at times, but it can get cruel (like beating up on someone so high he doesn’t even realize he’s being beaten up) and it seems a pretty vapid form of entertainment in any case.

I find it more curious when we “infidels” seem to get genuinely frustrated with them, as if we actually expect reason from someone who bases his worldview on faith when the topic of discussion is that worldview or faith. I can certainly understand frustration with the way they vote and such (real world applications), or when real harm is done, but to get frustrated that in conversation they act precisely as expected seems rather odd to me. It also seems that a significant level of respect for a viewpoint or opinion is required before it can effect one emotionally, and while we infidels clearly have little if any respect for faith-based opinions and ideas, many of us still seem to care enough what believers think and say when under the influence [of faith].

So what’s up with that?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed