2 of 2
The Verdict is In!
Posted: 05 April 2005 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]
...the bible is an instruction book ... it says do unto others as you would have them do unto you ... It also talks a lot about good works ... pray for his enemies, turn the other cheek, feed the hungry, cloth the naked, give money to the poor, etc.

You are not going to get an argument from me or, I believe, from anyone else that the bible does not contain some good ideas that all people should all follow. But the fact is that your statements are the product of a very selective reading of the bible.

I’m not going to get into a battle of biblical quotations with anyone, but I will stipulate that it is very easy to compile a large list of instructions from the bible that are not nearly so charitable or good-willed. In fact, many of the instructions on that list, if obeyed, would be considered patently immoral today, if not downright illegal. For example, if a christian works on the sabbath or commits adultery, the bible specifically instructs you to stone then to death. Any christian who tried to obey those biblical instructions would get the death penalty or at least be put in prison for life.

If the instructions you quoted are the ones that you follow, then we are in agreement, but only as long as you are cherry-picking the instructions from the bible that you choose to follow.

- Bulldog

Posted: 29 April 2005 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02
[quote author=“Tom”]Champion, I want you to go down to the police station and tell the officer in charge that you think its a perfect, righteous and loving idea to inflict years of horrible suffering on Muslim children, all smokers and all homosexuals.  See what happens.  Show him scriptures to prove it.  Be very insistent please.  I bet you could convince some of them.

It takes a big man to give a shapeless argument against a lone voice when you have the arrogant academic masses behind you.  Lay off Champ.

Posted: 29 April 2005 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“UnAmi”]It takes a big man to give a shapeless argument against a lone voice when you have the arrogant academic masses behind you.  Lay off Champ.

I agree—The Champ should lay off.

But that’s a personal matter. He can post whatever he’d like as long as the moderators/forum owner is okay with it. That’s not our call.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 29 April 2005 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Are you saying for them to lay of me or me to lay of them?

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

2 of 2

‹‹ THE END OF FAITH      The Root ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed