1 of 2
A book very much worht reading
Posted: 14 September 2006 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

"Letter to a Christian Nation" is clear, logical, easy to read and oh, so very true. 

I heartily recommend it to everyone.

Posted: 14 September 2006 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“Bob”]“Letter to a Christian Nation” is clear, logical, easy to read and oh, so very true. 

I heartily recommend it to everyone.

Hello Bob, no, don’t worry, this is not Hal and nobody is going to cut off the oxygen.

What is OH SO TRUE about this book to our great Christian nation?

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 14 September 2006 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2006-09-11

“A troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion”

[quote author=“TheChampion”]
What is OH SO TRUE about this book to our great Christian nation?

Cut the sarcasm and

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/meatball4u/quit.jpg

Maybe you could actually bring something constructive to this discussion?

Posted: 15 September 2006 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2006-01-05

http://www.giltedgedgoblins.com/images/trolls fiddle.jpg

Posted: 15 September 2006 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-09-06

I’ll have to wait for the 19th to go get it.

I’m trying for quite some time to find an efficient way of talking to believers and I have put a lot of hope in this book. Currently my message to them is little more than “your stuff is bullshit and here’s why:...”

I hope Letter to a Christian Nation will help me adjust this message a little bit.

Posted: 20 September 2006 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  270
Joined  2006-05-30

I have just finished reading “Letter to a Christian Nation.” It is a very, very quick read, and can be done by most of us in about 90 minutes or so. This, I think, is one of its strengths.

Although there is little that is new from EOF, it is dense with the illogicality and, yes, danger of faith-based reasoning and decision-making about the world.

I imagine that people like The Champion, HumbleServant and frankr would have apoplectic attacks in the first paragraph of the opening “Note to the Reader,” and throw the book viciously into the nearest fire or waste bin. This is too bad, because they really should read it. Instead, I fully expect them to be railing about what’s wrong with what the book says, or what they think it might say if only they’d actually read and think about it.

I have, indeed bought a second copy to lend to my friends, because I hate losing books that I’ve lent to friends, and I really want people to read this. As I said, it doesn’t take long.

There are those who will think that it is something of a Jeremiad, and they will be upset nigh onto outrage by the message. Tragically, I don’t think that the message can get through the rock-solid mental barriers that have been built up by decades of fervent belief in nonsense that has gotten through broken rubbish filters.

But I most fervently believe that it is a book with an important message. And if humanity doesn’t start getting that message soon, we’re heading for, to put it in a very literary way, deep doo-doo.

Posted: 28 September 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I completely agree.

One thing I really dislike is when people think Sam’s being provocative just for the sake of selling stuff.  I couldn’t disagree with that view more.  Do you guys hear that sometimes?

Posted: 28 September 2006 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-09-18

That was me above… I hate this, I keep getting logged out even if I only leave the site for a minute, and then I come back and post without realizing that I’m not logged in anymore…  Please have patience with me, because it takes me a while to get used to new habits, in this case learning to look to see whether I’m logged in before I post…

Posted: 29 September 2006 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  766
Joined  2006-02-20

EH wrote:

I imagine that people like The Champion, HumbleServant and frankr would have apoplectic attacks in the first paragraph of the opening “Note to the Reader,” and throw the book viciously into the nearest fire or waste bin.

You remind me of this passage from H. L. Mencken, Treatise on the Gods, Preface to the Revised Edition, 1945, page vii:

What the faithful Christian professes to believe, if put into the form of an affidavit, would be such shocking nonsense that even bishops and archbisops would laugh at it, but as a practical matter he need not bother about any such test, for it is enough, when doubts assail him, if he hold his tongue, leaving the rest to the professional theologians—a class of men for whom I have an unashamed partiality, as I have for politicians. They are the most adept logicians in the modern world, and once their premises are granted the rest is easy sailing. All I venture to hint in the pages following is that their premises are probably unsound, and this, I assume, will also be the position of nine-tenths of those who undertake to read me. There is no purpose here to shake the faithful, for I am completely free of the messianic itch, and do not like converts. Let those who believe, and enjoy it, heave this book into the dust-bin, and go on reading War Cry. The world is very wide, and there is room amidst its dermatitis for all of us.

Warcry is a magazine produced by The Salvation Army primarily for the wider community. I think that’s what Mencken refers to here. When I transcribed this passage, I wrote “their promises are probably unsound” which is true too. Not specifically to annoy frankr, I will add “Freud lives!”

I’m willing to shake the faithful when they threaten violence or act it out. Mencken lived in a world unthreatened by any terrorist’s WMD, although believers in the divinity of Japan’s Emperor had conducted a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, using conventional weapons. There is much less room in Earth’s dematitis than there was sixty years ago. Still, Mencken’s book is valuable today.

Thinking of Pearl Harbor, the theme music for this post is the symphonic score for Victory at Sea, composed by Richard Rodgers. 

Passerby: “Oh, gawd. He’s not content with quoting words. Now he’s quoting music too! Where will it end?”

Posted: 29 September 2006 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

My father in law when he entered naval ROTC was asked why he wanted to be a naval officer. He said because he wanted to be like the men in Victory at Sea. The recruiter said that was a great answer.

Posted: 29 September 2006 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

<grin>

In my long-ago interview while applying for the Navy’s Officer Candidate School, the officer asked me if I had had any previous experience at sea. I hesitated a moment, thought about Marina Del Rey, and then did the best I could: “I went out for crew at one time.” He chuckled a little and said, “Some of our ships are very old, but none of them use oars.”

Posted: 29 September 2006 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

I dogeared many pages in this tiny book.  One cringe I experienced was in the first part when Mr. Harris explained that many Christians believe that Noah put two by two dinosaurs on his ark.

That left a red mark on my forehead.  I fear most Christians will snort at that one remark at the beginning and use it to dismiss all the sound logic elsewhere.

Noggin

Posted: 29 September 2006 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2006-04-25

It was a quick and easy read.  While I don’t agree with his perspective in its totality, Sam says some things worthy of consideration.  He makes a pretty good case against intelligent design.

Posted: 29 September 2006 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-04-09

Noggin wrote;
I dogeared many pages in this tiny book. One cringe I experienced was in the first part when Mr. Harris explained that many Christians believe that Noah put two by two dinosaurs on his ark. [some Christians may snort].

Snort ...  and then try to explain that that dino-fossils were set in 100 million year old strata as a test for the future faithful or as a practical joke.  I prefer to believe the latter.  Gotta love such a Kidder!  God’s a funny guy!

Posted: 30 September 2006 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2005-11-14

[quote author=“ExitB”]Noggin wrote;
I dogeared many pages in this tiny book. One cringe I experienced was in the first part when Mr. Harris explained that many Christians believe that Noah put two by two dinosaurs on his ark. [some Christians may snort].

Snort ...  and then try to explain that that dino-fossils were set in 100 million year old strata as a test for the future faithful or as a practical joke.  I prefer to believe the latter.  Gotta love such a Kidder!  God’s a funny guy!

Okay, I am discernment challenged and I admit it.  Are you “snorting” as a Christian?  You do believe that the 100 million year old dino fossils found in the geo-strata is a test set up by god?

I want to believe that you are kidding.

I do not believe that there are Christians today who believe that Noah put dinosaurs on his ark.  If I am wrong… then we are truly a doomed planet.

Noggin

Posted: 30 September 2006 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Noggin, in evident pain, wrote:

I do not believe that there are Christians today who believe that Noah put dinosaurs on his ark. If I am wrong… then we are truly a doomed planet.

Mudfoot corrected my error when I mistook a satirical site for a genuine Christian believers’ site. (This time, I had the wit not to fall for landoverbaptist again. Thanks, mudfoot.) I’m not sure whether any of the following sites are authentic, but I will bet that at least one of them is.

http://www.truechristian.com/dinosaurs.html

We know the dinosaurs survived the flood and went on Noah’s Ark, since Job saw the Behemoth (scroll up).

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2001/dinos_on_ark.asp

In Genesis 6:19–20, the Bible says that two of every sort of land vertebrate (seven of the “clean” animals) were brought by God to the Ark. Therefore, dinosaurs (land vertebrates) were represented on the Ark.

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/jon/060701

God’s servant, Noah, preserved living creatures, including dinosaurs, as instructed by The Almighty.

Google found 159,000 sites when I searched just now on
Christian “Noah’s Ark” dinosaurs
so this is just a tiny sample. The evidence is very good that some, maybe many, living Christians believe that there were dinosaurs on Noah’s ark. That is sad to contemplate, but I don’t think it proves that Earth is doomed.

1 of 2

thank you. ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed