2 of 64
Evolution takes a beating, live coast to coast!
Posted: 16 March 2005 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“gman”]Skeptix wrote:

Sorry SceptiX, I meant Alan Slipp.

g

Posted: 16 March 2005 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

SkepticX wrote:

gman wrote:
Pete and all. The fact is everyone IS paying attention to theChampion and feeding his ferver.

I agree completely, but at the same time I do find the apparent compulsion some people have to respond to him interesting. Even the most blatant baiting seems to work very effectively. The respondants have to be aware they’re being manipulated, but still they’re compelled to take the bait—very interesting.

I also have to admit that I find TC’s thought patterns genuinely amusing sometimes—they often remind me of programming loops and errors from Asimov’s robot books, and adding the responses I described above to that just really strikes me as a funny situation.

Now here is a subject worthy of discussion!  First, why do believers think (or not) the way they do? Second, why do so many, supposedly rational individuals feel compulsion to “reason” with them?  I’m always fascinated by psychology and brain science.  Wouldn’t it be fun to put TC in a fMRI scanner and show him/her/it pictures of unicorns or aliens and see what parts of the brain light up and see if he/she/it renounces the reality of those images.  Then show him/her/it a painting of jc and see what portions light up.  My hypothesis says it isn’t the cerebral cortex!

g

Posted: 16 March 2005 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

A Lurker: I found the book in the library. I like books on faith and intellectual reasoning and the like. I skimmed through it. But after it was hard to take it seriously after the first chapter. The whole premise was illogical.

But let me say that I’ll be checking up on Sam Harris in the future. I’m sure he will have interesting articles and books in the future. He probably learned a good lesson with this book (if you read commentaries, his book was widely rejected as nonense).

Posted: 16 March 2005 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

I think Champion is in his late teens or early 20’s.

Since I was young and dumb, I have great patience with those suffereing from that disease now that I am older = )

Posted: 16 March 2005 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2005-03-14

Yeah, it’s when people suffering from that disease start writing science textbooks and implementing social policy, that’s when you have to start worrying.

Oh, wait, that’s already happening…

Posted: 16 March 2005 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Iisbliss”]I think Champion is in his late teens or early 20’s.

Since I was young and dumb, I have great patience with those suffereing from that disease now that I am older = )

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that you will get undumber as you get older.  Look at the average age of the radical christian right (or for that matter really right-wing republicans in general).

g

Posted: 16 March 2005 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Champion,

On the other hand there is the story of my father. He went to church all the time, read the bible too. He didn’t force his beliefs on his children. Then one night after coming home from a dinner at the church he died, in his bed, beside my mother, he choked on his own vomit. I am now 5 years older than my father was when he died. When I look at his life and my life I cannot believe that there is a god, at least not the kind of god who looks after us.

Posted: 16 March 2005 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Blue: you might not have talked about it, but I’m sure your father prayed for people like me to be set in your path, to be used in bringing the truth to you. Sharing one’s faith can be a difficult thing, even to family members. Sometimes we simply don’t have the words, but we hope that God will bring someone along and use them.

I’m sure you have a scar somewhere across your heart. It’s probably something you’ve never shared with others. But God knows your heart, your wounds, your scars, your fears, your hopes, your dreams. He knows them better than anyone. And the great thing is, he’s bigger than all your fears, even those that wonder if he really exists. He can break through every wall, my friend. He will, if you let him….

Posted: 16 March 2005 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Blue, looks like TChamp has been sent by god (on behalf of your father’s apparent prayers) to bring you into the truth - poor you.

It’s interesting how convinced TChamp is of his own importance - that even strangers he meets on his lifepath are glorified by his blessed “word of god” divinity.  I feel that TChamp has convinced himself so completely of his own importance and divine grace, that he can imagine and then believe that he has an intimate relationship with the “most important” entity in the universe.  Just imagine how such an immature child would feel if he personally knew the president of the USA, why it would give that child a surge of self importance. Now imagine that we have a grown man with a small child’s sense of reality, but in his case he believes that he is personally acquainted with, not merely the American President, but the actual creator of the universe, the most important, the ultimate, the pinnacle of divinity in the universe.  Why the poor child/man’s head must be literally “blown to pieces” and is now at least as big as The Milky Way itself.  Let’s face it, with a brain blown-out into the galaxial stratosphere, TChamp is incapable of comprehending even a shred of logic, reason or scientific fact.  The poor man is livid with arrogance and deluded by his own “over-blown” self importance.  He is unreachable.

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 17 March 2005 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

If there is a scar on my heart who is responsible for it, He who controls the universe that’s who.

Posted: 17 March 2005 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Blue: doesn’t he respect you enough to give you a free will? You could jump off a cliff today and he wouldn’t stop you. So what scars are caused by us, what scars are caused by life, and what scars are inflicted directly by God?

God only has good plans for you, my friend, not bruises or scars. Life may give us scars, bumps, bruises, let downs, failures, but he’s always there to heal the wounds, reset the course, and put us on the right path.

It’s all in the book my friend…

Posted: 17 March 2005 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-07

Champion,
Wow, Champ, You make god seem so kind and compasionate. 
I’m going to keep posting this untill I get answers.  I noticed you “forgot” to address these in other threads.
I am trying to find out exactly what you believe.  Don’t you think that is resonable considering the possible consequences?

I’ll make it easy for you and for all of us.  Just please answer true or false to the following questions.  No elaborations are needed.  Leave any blank that Christians don’t know the answer to.

1.Hell was created for Satan and his angels by God.

2.People’s souls will be tormented by Satan if they fail to meet God’s standards for life in heaven.

3.People’s souls will be tormented, but not by Satan, if they fail to meet God’s standards for life in heaven.

4.The length of time of the torment for failing to meet God’s standards for life in heaven is eternal.

5.The length of time of the torment for failing to meet God’s standards for life in heaven is limited.

6.The torment of souls in Hell can be described a continuous horrible anguish.

7.The torment of souls in Hell can be described as mildly unpleasent.

8.The torment of souls in Hell can be described as continuous intense pain as bad as or worse than anything our earthly bodies could experience.

9.The age of the individual at his/her death is considered before God damns a soul to Hell.

10.The age of the individual at his/her death is not considered before God damns a soul to Hell.

11.No one who dies before the age of 18 will be damned to Hell.

12.No one who dies before the age of 14 will be damned to Hell.

13.No one who dies before the age of 10 will be damned to Hell.

14.No one who dies before the age of 5 will be damned to Hell.

15.There are only two places souls may be sent to after death; Heaven or Hell.

16.Unrepentant homosexuality is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

17.Unrepentant worship of Allah is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

18.Unrepentant worship of any God other than The Champion’s God is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

19.Not believing that Jesus is the Son of God is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

20.Doubting that Jesus is the Son of God is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

21.Having never heard of Jesus is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

22.Not loving God is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

23.Not loving Jesus is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

24.Unrepentant smoking is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

25.Drinking 6 beers every night is enough of a sin to be sent to Hell.

26.It is possible there are souls as young as the age of 2 suffering in Hell.

27.It is possible there are souls as young as the age of 8 suffering in Hell.

28.It is possible there are souls as young as the age of 14 suffering in Hell.

29.God’s love is perfect.

30.God’s love is sometimes replaced with anger.

31.I believe God’s justice is perfect.

32.God’s justice makes sense to me.

33.God’s justice seems a little harsh at times.

34.I can understand why some sinful souls need to be tormented forever.

35.Knowing that souls are being tormented for billions of years for 60 years of earthly sin seems reasonable to me.

36.A person may not have killed anyone or even ever seriously physically hurt anyone yet they may still deserve to go to Hell.

37.A person may not have killed anyone or even ever seriously physically hurt anyone, love his/her parents, children and fellow humans, and yet may still deserve to go to Hell.

38.A person may not have killed anyone or even ever seriously physically hurt anyone, love his/her parents, children and fellow humans, try throughout his/her life to help others and yet may still deserve to go to Hell.

39.A soul in heaven will be unbothered by the torment of souls in hell even if that soul in hell was a former son, daughter, brother, sister, father or mother, wife, or husband.

40.Knowing your children are being tormented for billions of years in hell (if thats where they were sent by God) will not weaken your love of god or diminish the bliss of heaven if that is your reward.

This isn’t a test.  We all just need to have some answers to these specific questions.  Remember, only True and False answers.  I will read any elaborations you write later in future posts only if you answer these questions as I have asked. Anything else and I will KNOW you are a coward and have not really looked deeply onto your heart, mind and Bible for the answers to a Godly life.
Thank You.

Posted: 17 March 2005 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Tom, why are you asking me these questions. These answers can be found in the bible. Why ask me? Do your own homework…..(and calm down, geez…) ha.

Ok Tom! grin

Posted: 17 March 2005 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-07

See, you are a Coward.  You don’t have the courage to stand up like a man for your beliefs and answer these question truthfully and openly.  Just true and false Champ. Questions 1-40!

And by the way, I’ll return the favor and answer any 40 of your questions with true and false afterwards. Fair enough? Also, I know the “answers” can be found in the bible, but I want you and your pastor’s take on it.

Thanks Champ

Posted: 17 March 2005 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Tom: Why? What is the purpose?

What good will any religious exchange of ideas do for you? Are you in the process of being converted and you need my input?

2 of 64

‹‹ great stuff!      The End of Why ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed