59 of 63
Evolution takes a beating, live coast to coast!
Posted: 13 January 2008 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 871 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1891
Joined  2007-12-19
TheChampion - 09 January 2008 01:39 AM

Well, you’ll have plenty of time to make your case against the Almighty, when you stand before him. I, on the other hand, eagerly await his return to this particular galaxy/planet, and eagerly submit that I believe, without seeing (and blessed are those who have not seen and believe).

Thank you Jesus.

Are you sure you measure up? The test is chopping your baby in half when you hear voices in your head. Don’t deny it, it’s in the book.

Signature 

“This is it. You are it.”

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 24 January 2008 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 872 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

So I wonder how all the hairless apes, err, evolutionists are doing out there lately.

Do you realize the human cost of your theology (i.e., evolution)? By removing inalienable rights from a human being as created in God’s image, and telling them they evolved from a primate and are no better than a twig, you’ve generated a pyridine shift within humanity that leads to mindlessly cruel violence and abuse. That is on you guys. Its your fault.

For the above reason alone (along with other ones, of course) we need to take back our public schools and provide oversight on what they teach. We need to institute the teaching of creation and intelligent design. I mean, evolution, it takes a lot of faith to believe it. By the admission of many evolutionists, it is a theory that is unproveable.

Sigh…it is a shame what is happening to the minds of our children.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 24 January 2008 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 873 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2006-12-08
TheChampion - 25 January 2008 02:05 AM

Do you realize the human cost of your theology (i.e., evolution)? By removing inalienable rights from a human being as created in God’s image, and telling them they evolved from a primate and are no better than a twig, you’ve generated a pyridine shift within humanity that leads to mindlessly cruel violence and abuse. That is on you guys. Its your fault.

What have you got against mindlessly cruel violence and abuse?

Signature 

Do-gooding is like treating hemophilia—the real cure is to let hemophiliacs bleed to death, before they breed more hemophiliacs. -Robert Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted: 24 January 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 874 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19

For the above reason alone (along with other ones, of course) we need to take back our public schools and provide oversight on what they teach.

From who, the communists?

We need to institute the teaching of creation and intelligent design.

The Supreme Court said it can’t be taught as science.

Sigh…it is a shame what is happening to the minds of our children.

You have your churches and schools, there aren’t enough? Public schools either.

Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 24 January 2008 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 875 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
goodgraydrab - 25 January 2008 02:53 AM

For the above reason alone (along with other ones, of course) we need to take back our public schools and provide oversight on what they teach.

From who, the communists?

Why….YES, but of course. The evolutionists act like communists, hey, if the shoe fits…

goodgraydrab - 25 January 2008 02:53 AM

We need to institute the teaching of creation and intelligent design.

The Supreme Court said it can’t be taught as science.

Ok, sure, no problem. Then how about teaching it ‘along side’ science. You see, the problem here is a rush to judgement. The scientific community is in a constant rush to support evolution. I heartily assure you ole boy, if the chose template was creation, the entire scientific community would be RUSHING to support it. Bias….

[ Edited: 24 January 2008 10:18 PM by TheChampion]
 Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 25 January 2008 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 876 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26

Do you realize the human cost of your theology (i.e., evolution)? By removing inalienable rights from a human being as created in God’s image, and telling them they evolved from a primate and are no better than a twig, you’ve generated a pyridine shift within humanity that leads to mindlessly cruel violence and abuse.

The concept of “inalienable rights” doesn’t require a conscious creator god. “Endowed by their creator” is broad enough to include unconscious natural forces.

Here is a more accurate rewording of your post to apply to theism - “by teaching that morality is about pleasing an alleged god instead of the effects of one’s actions on others, you have caused mindlessly cruel violence and abuse by people who genuinely believed they were doing the moral thing.”

Posted: 25 January 2008 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 877 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
Carstonio - 25 January 2008 08:32 AM

Do you realize the human cost of your theology (i.e., evolution)? By removing inalienable rights from a human being as created in God’s image, and telling them they evolved from a primate and are no better than a twig, you’ve generated a pyridine shift within humanity that leads to mindlessly cruel violence and abuse.

The concept of “inalienable rights” doesn’t require a conscious creator god. “Endowed by their creator” is broad enough to include unconscious natural forces.

Here is a more accurate rewording of your post to apply to theism - “by teaching that morality is about pleasing an alleged god instead of the effects of one’s actions on others, you have caused mindlessly cruel violence and abuse by people who genuinely believed they were doing the moral thing.”

? Excuse me? An ‘allged’ God (capital G, mind you), that asks his children to ‘love their neighbor as themselves?’ If that is what you call cruel, you have some backward thinking. grin

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2008 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 878 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
TheChampion - 25 January 2008 12:58 PM

? Excuse me? An ‘allged’ God (capital G, mind you), that asks his children to ‘love their neighbor as themselves?’ If that is what you call cruel, you have some backward thinking. grin

First, there is no evidence for any god.

Second, there is no evidence that such a god has asked humanity to do anything. The burden of proof is on the claim that any statements attributed to any gods were not authored solely by humans.

Third, there is no evidence that such a god made that specific request. Similarly, there is no evidence that such a god has asked believers to shun or persecute or kill unbelievers, as some religions claim. Both claims are equal as to the lack of evidence - any question of probability affects both equally.

Fourth, the idea of loving one’s neighbor as one’s self has undeniable merit. However, the claim that this was a request from a god is completely irrelevant. One should love others for their sake and one’s own, not because one has been asked to. One cannot truly love if one believes love is a requirement. One cannot truly value the effects of one’s actions if one is focused on pleasing someone else. It’s the same concept as when a celebrity or politician in trouble makes a phony apology simply to look good in legal court or in the court of public opinion.

Posted: 25 January 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 879 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1568
Joined  2006-03-02

Great post Jefe.

I sometimes think that, when talking to theists about the alleged existence of their alleged God, we atheists ought to talk of nothing except the Problem of Evil.  Until we get a convincing solution to that issue, all other talk is really moot.

Signature 

What do I care for a hell for oppressors? What good can hell do, since those children have already been tortured? And what becomes of harmony, if there is hell? I want to forgive. I want to embrace. I don’t want more suffering. And if the sufferings of children go to swell the sum of sufferings which was necessary to pay for truth, then I protest that the truth is not worth such a price.
-Ivan Karamazov

Posted: 25 January 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 880 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-19
TheChampion - 25 January 2008 12:58 PM

Excuse me? An ‘allged’ God (capital G, mind you), that asks his children to ‘love their neighbor as themselves?’ If that is what you call cruel, you have some backward thinking. grin

His children? They just wanted to be like Pop. Look what he did to them. Abandoned them, condemned them to toil and suffer out in the big bad world, cursed them ... he should be charged with child neglect and abuse. He didn’t watch over them well enough, put them out to play in a dangerous environment with that big bad snake. Should’ve put child-safety locks on the cabinet doors. He couldn’t even find them when he came home. He knew they weren’t mature enough to be left alone in the streets. No wonder they got into drugs and developed all their phobias and insecurities. How could they love themselves when he didn’t even love them. Now they’re supposed to love others as themselves. They developed a daddy complex, having orgasms with multiple partners while seeking out their Pop. Fine role model he turned out to be. Then he has another illegitimate kid who he allows to be tortured to death. What the hell was he thinking, he’s a psycho. For shame!

[ Edited: 25 January 2008 10:08 AM by goodgraydrab]
 Signature 

- Jos. Campbell

Posted: 25 January 2008 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 881 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
Carstonio - 25 January 2008 01:16 PM

Fourth, the idea of loving one’s neighbor as one’s self has undeniable merit. However, the claim that this was a request from a god is completely irrelevant.

To follow up, I found an appropriate quote:

http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2008/01/lb-knockin-on-h.html?cid=98651530#comment-98651530

As an atheist, I’ve made a rational decision about how and why I live my life and it doesn’t involve savior myths and self loathing. While I’ll freely admit that we all make our mistakes and have our moments of greed and envy, most people do not actively pursue lifestyles or activities that harm others or deprive them of their freedoms or joys. We may take that extra cookie, to borrow an example form upthread, but that is nowhere near the level of depravity and depredation involved in murder, rape or genocide, which any atheist, no matter how New or Radical will admit is an evil the world can and should fight. To throw all us mild law breakers into the same mental cell with rapists and child molesters is absurd.

No one—not some babbling first century street preacher or his ornery dad—are going to stop my cookie thievery, white lieing or petty anxieties. Nor should they. If the creator of the universe existed, I’d hope he would be a tad more concerned about Darfur then weather I ate all my vegetables like I said I did. That theologians for centuries do back flips in logic to try and prove He is such a moral micro manager just underscores the Atheist position that organized religion is a tool of oppression and any good that has resulted form it is a bug, not a feature.

Posted: 14 February 2008 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 882 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Medvid once again…..crushed the whole ‘notion’ of evolution. He had on a guy who is a scientist, who wrote the book, The Design of Life (....I think it was named).

And all these hostile intolerant liberals (who normally espouse openness and EVERYONE getting a say, except Christians and scientists who opposed Global Warming and Evolution….) who kept calling in, hostile, angry, beside themselves, talking circular evolution theology using circular argumentation. It was great theatre. Most excellent choice of entertainment for the afternoon.

I need to get the book. I got to study up on this scientist. He seemed REAAAAAAAAAAL smart, knew his stuff, and was able to contradict each and every hostile caller who were passionate about the ‘notion’ that man has evolved from a minkey, rather than being created in the Almighty’s image.

If any of you folks get the book, let me know what you think. Will it change your mind???? Will it influence you…..? Will it? Will it? Willlllll it?

Signature 

Posted: 15 February 2008 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 883 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-01-26
TheChampion - 15 February 2008 04:43 AM

Medvid once again…..crushed the whole ‘notion’ of evolution. He had on a guy who is a scientist, who wrote the book, The Design of Life (....I think it was named).

And all these hostile intolerant liberals (who normally espouse openness and EVERYONE getting a say, except Christians and scientists who opposed Global Warming and Evolution….) who kept calling in, hostile, angry, beside themselves, talking circular evolution theology using circular argumentation. It was great theatre. Most excellent choice of entertainment for the afternoon.

I need to get the book. I got to study up on this scientist. He seemed REAAAAAAAAAAL smart, knew his stuff, and was able to contradict each and every hostile caller who were passionate about the ‘notion’ that man has evolved from a minkey, rather than being created in the Almighty’s image.

If any of you folks get the book, let me know what you think. Will it change your mind???? Will it influence you…..? Will it? Will it? Willlllll it?

Unfortunately TC, you are not educated enough to have an intelligent conversation about evolution.  I write that matter-of-factly and with no intention of being malicious.  The fact is, however, you just do not know what you are talking about, and you do your children and your species a terrible disservice by ignorantly, stubbornly, and hypocritically refusing to listen to what science says about evolution.  You trust in science every day.  Evolution is not different than other scientific facts just because you wish that it was not true.

Signature 

“What is the tortoise standing on?”

Posted: 15 February 2008 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 884 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-26
matt2442 - 15 February 2008 10:26 AM

Evolution is not different than other scientific facts just because you wish that it was not true.

Exactly. The core argument of creationism is that evolution negates the doctrines of original sin and salvation. It has nothing to do with the scientific accuracy of evolution. If the evidence pointed to a conclusion that was different from natural selection but still in conflict with Genesis, the core argument of creationism would remain the same. What’s at stake is more than just science. In any human endeavor, making decisions based on preconceived notions instead of real-world data can have dire consequences.

Posted: 31 March 2008 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 885 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
Carstonio - 15 February 2008 12:11 PM
matt2442 - 15 February 2008 10:26 AM

Evolution is not different than other scientific facts just because you wish that it was not true.

Exactly. The core argument of creationism is that evolution negates the doctrines of original sin and salvation. It has nothing to do with the scientific accuracy of evolution. If the evidence pointed to a conclusion that was different from natural selection but still in conflict with Genesis, the core argument of creationism would remain the same. What’s at stake is more than just science. In any human endeavor, making decisions based on preconceived notions instead of real-world data can have dire consequences.

Ya but….ya but, does anything else matter if you negate the reason why man fell from grace and the reason for his atonement? You do that and I find that an evil thing. Evolution does just that, so that lets me know, it ain’t right. Something does not line up with the word of God, it ain’t right. Therefore, I am a hearty supporter of the Creation Institute.

Evolution is just a theory anyway….based on flimsy facts. It is completely self evident that we have a creator and that he created this majestic world, self evident…my atheistic brothers and sisters.

Signature 

59 of 63

‹‹ great stuff!      The End of Why ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed