60 of 64
Evolution takes a beating, live coast to coast!
Posted: 31 March 2008 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 886 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
TheChampion - 31 March 2008 11:56 AM

Ya but….ya but, does anything else matter if you negate the reason why man fell from grace and the reason for his atonement? You do that and I find that an evil thing.

We cannot assume that there is such a thing as grace, or that humankind fell from it, or that there was an atonement. There is nothing evil about questioning any assumption.

Something does not line up with the word of God, it ain’t right.

We cannot assume that the Bible is the word of any god. The idea that any person or agency is the sole arbiter of truth is inherently Orwellian. We cannot give up our right to observe the world through our senses and make our own conclusions, or else we lose our individuality and identity.

It is completely self evident that we have a creator and that he created this majestic world

How so? That seems to be merely an assumption.

Posted: 31 March 2008 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 887 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25
Carstonio - 31 March 2008 01:12 PM

We cannot assume that the Bible is the word of any god. The idea that any person or agency is the sole arbiter of truth is inherently Orwellian. We cannot give up our right to observe the world through our senses and make our own conclusions, or else we lose our individuality and identity.

Exactly, don’t assume it, have faith in it.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 01 April 2008 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 888 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-12-04

The truth is Champ, you could no more explain the theory of evolution than you can stammer through your own beliefs (which are handed down to you by talk show hosts).  You have no idea what the bible says and its obvious that you failed out of your HS science classes…is this why you rail against something of which you have no knowledge?

An argument against evolution would look something like this; “I disagree with the theory of evolution on this point_______.”  Or, observation X cast doubt n the theory of evolution.”  In stead, your arguments are: “I heard someone say on the radio that evolution was only a theory and the facts were weak…and wait a minute…it disproves that nice Adam & Eve story.”

Signature 

http://www.thehereticandthepreacher.com

Posted: 01 April 2008 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 889 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3208
Joined  2007-04-26
TheChampion - 01 April 2008 01:59 AM

A faith belief IS an assumption. A faith belief may or may not match reality, but any such matching is mere coincidence. Faith doesn’t care about reality. (To clarify, I include many secular ideologies in the faith category.) The costs of being isolated from reality are astronomical.

Posted: 02 April 2008 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 890 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
Carstonio - 01 April 2008 09:33 AM
TheChampion - 01 April 2008 01:59 AM

A faith belief IS an assumption. A faith belief may or may not match reality, but any such matching is mere coincidence. Faith doesn’t care about reality. (To clarify, I include many secular ideologies in the faith category.) The costs of being isolated from reality are astronomical.

Hey, it takes just as much “faith” to believe in evolution due to the flimsy collection of facts (some, so-called) and also due to the FACT that every time a scientist discusses evolution he/she almost ALWAYS uses the adjective phrases: could have happened, might have, very well could be, we think it did, some say, scientists agree, etc., etc., etc., and so on and so on and on and on…...

Then again, when we speak about the bible, we speak matter of factly, not necessarily brass tacks, but overall themes. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth….”, “male and female he created them….”, etc., etc., and so on.

So it takes faith to believe in both religions (Christianity and/or Evolution). But my God is a the Creator of All the Earth, yours is a minkey.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 03 April 2008 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 891 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Then again, when we speak about the bible, we speak matter of factly, not necessarily brass tacks, but overall themes. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth….”, “male and female he created them….”, etc., etc., and so on.

So it takes faith to believe in both religions (Christianity and/or Evolution). But my God is a the Creator of All the Earth, yours is a minkey.

Champ, first, slow down when you are raving…look at the last word in your post…minkey…just a spelling error but this makes your thinking appear sloppy.

Secondly, I agree with you that it takes some faith to believe in evolution, relativity and cosmology, and other sophisticated sciences.  I’ve have humbly tried for years to understand many of the nuances of these theories and there are some parts that are very hard to grasp for the non-scientist.  We do after all put faith in many things.

Here is the major difference between your faith and mine: yours, creationism has yet to bring one provable observation to the table.  It is a total faith as it suspends reason and proof.  It has not been disproved either (nor do we have evidence to disprove in psychics…while we all know that they are charlatans).  Young earth, an aspect of creationism, is scientifically proven to be a false assumption, many times over.  People here who continue to believe that the earth is 6000 years old are foolish and ignorant.  Evolution, as a theory has been tested over and over since the nineteenth century.  It is constantly being tested and if any observation proves it wrong, the theory will change.  This has not happened.  Does its belief involve some faith?  For people as uneducated as myself, maybe…but I’m trying to read more and understand exactly what proofs have been discovered thus far.

Champ, your faith is based on the repetition of stories by ignorant and illiterate people throughout the centuries.  These are wishful thinking and fairy tales.  When one admits that ones views are completely based on “faith”...one is saying that they have not one shred of evidence.

Lastly, you said in a post that you were a surfer?  CA?  Where was your favorite break?  Mine, Carlsbad, La Jolla and San Onofre.

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 892 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-06-01

Alright I have read this thread and have come to the conclusion that the champ is an asshole
His bullshit can only be answered with other bullshit so here goes
Giving this idiot facts is like giving a brick a calculator
The book he loves to refer to is a collection of stupidity and nonsense
If I may quote someone from dawkins.net ” If you have only read ONE book in your life shut the fuck up”
Dont defend evolution to this prick , the concept is beyond his capacity
Any one that thinks the world is 6000 yrs old is just plain STUPID
The concept of god is ridiculous The story of jesus is rife with bullshit. The bible was written by powerful men looking to scare uneducated men and in your case is has worked quite well

“Micro evolution in the very generic sense, as in dog breeding, for example. However, the first dog was made by God, and everyone since was ‘after its own kind.’ It NEVER was a tadpole that emerged from the primordial soup, it never was a shape or form other than a dog, from day one. Never.”

Dog made god and you have the intellect of a tadpole which proves evolution.

Thanks   Jay

Posted: 03 April 2008 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 893 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

Bravo Jay and Bravo Logic. However, why even respond to arguments without facts?

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 03 April 2008 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 894 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

...it give me good practice for the spats I have with my sweet wife?

Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2008 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 895 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-06-01

Thank you Beam and good point Logic

“Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them”  Thomas Jefferson

Posted: 03 April 2008 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 896 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2008-04-02

TG never did answer Tom’s 40 questions. I think you are afraid, Champ, that if you answer those simple questions truthfully, then you will expose your religion for what it is. I had your X-ian religious hatred inculcated into me as a youth. I will not terrorize my children with the Bible. It is a hodgepodge of myths that contradicts itself in numerous instances. The truth does not stand in the light of day. Have some intestinal fortitude. Answer the questions. I bet Jesus wants you to answer them.

By the way, Champ, Jesus never touched me but one of his sheep tried to. He only tried once. I bet he will never try that again. I wonder how many children never fought back because they were afraid of some omnipotent, fantasy, egomaniacal, bipolar god that would burn there innocent soul for eternity if they did not “obey” some religious authority. Search your “soul” champ. Are you here because god led you to this ministry? Or…are you here because you are trying to oust those “demons” that are telling you that what you believe to be your reason for existence is all a fantastic myth?

scotty

Signature 

Real honesty is accepting the theories that best explain the actual data even if those explanations contradict our cherished beliefs.-Scotty

Posted: 05 April 2008 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 897 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2492
Joined  2008-04-05

Quite amazing that in this 21st century that old archaeic, obsolete argument of-‘it takes as much faith to believe in evolution as it does to believe in god’ concept is still even discussed. After 150 years of convergent empirical evidence, the naysayers and moral absolutists throw out the same old drivel. Michael Medved is a smart man. He just reads the wrong books. Like many, his mind is made up and he will support his preconceived notions of the universe anyway he can. He is an intellectual that is cheating his intellect. Sad actually.

Signature 

‘Every reflecting mind must acknowledge that there is no proof of the existence of a Deity’

‘If ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, knowledge of nature destroys them’

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted: 05 April 2008 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 898 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
McCreason - 05 April 2008 11:44 AM

Michael Medved is a smart man. He just reads the wrong books. Like many, his mind is made up and he will support his preconceived notions of the universe anyway he can. He is an intellectual that is cheating his intellect. Sad actually.

Is he human? I tend to think he is a mainframe with total micro-second recall for every single digit of data for every single cultural issue for every single problem or advancement affecting our society. No big deal….(AH HA Ha ha ha….hic hic)

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2008 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 899 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16
TheChampion - 06 April 2008 01:37 AM
McCreason - 05 April 2008 11:44 AM

Michael Medved is a smart man. He just reads the wrong books. Like many, his mind is made up and he will support his preconceived notions of the universe anyway he can. He is an intellectual that is cheating his intellect. Sad actually.

Is he human? I tend to think he is a mainframe with total micro-second recall for every single digit of data for every single cultural issue for every single problem or advancement affecting our society. No big deal….(AH HA Ha ha ha….hic hic)

How’s this for an example of Medved’s micro-second recall.

So anyway, Medved is like, and this is a paraphrase, “you are a liar, you are a liar, President Bush’s plan would not privatize Social Security.”

So, I read this quote from George W. Bush as reported by ABC News on October 30, 2002: “What privatization does is allows the individual worker - his or her choice - to set aside money in a managed account with parameters in the marketplace.”

I had to read it about 5 times before it sunk in. That is Mr. Bush, describing his own plan, calling in privatization.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 06 April 2008 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 900 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25
camanintx - 06 April 2008 08:18 PM

How’s this for an example of Medved’s micro-second recall.

So, I read this quote from George W. Bush as reported by ABC News on October 30, 2002

That is your first problem….

And Medved doesn’t ever yell. I have never ever heard him yell. I’d like to hear that exchange. I bet you were wimpering at the end of the call saying, ya, your right Michael…

Signature 

60 of 64

‹‹ great stuff!      The End of Why ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed