1 of 4
Sam Harris on the Michael Medvid show 9-21-06
Posted: 21 September 2006 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Well, I take my hat off to Sam. He braved entering into the Michael Medvid show. Still currently going on. The first 45 minutes had few fireworks. Unfortuately, I cannot say: HARRIS TAKES A BEATING, LIVE COAST TO COAST, like I did with the Evolution Guru who got hammered.

Harris is too smart for that, much too slipery. He sounded plausible….and not so much hard line. But I know he is.

Good job today Sam. Probably didn't sway anyone either way, but interesting job nonetheless.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 21 September 2006 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2006-09-21

I was in and out of my car today while Sam was on the Medved show. What I heard was great. Does anyone have a recording they can put online?

Posted: 21 September 2006 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

I caught the last 10-15 minutes.  Medved is a superb debater (especially because he can silence his guest with a touch of a button) but Harris did very well.  Harris was cool, calm, rational, and well spoken.  Reminded me of Michael Newdow, who exhibits the same characteristics.  Probably annoys the crap out of the fundies, though.  They’d rather hear a raving angry atheist.  Easier to vilify that way.  Medved sounded a little flustered.

It’s a shame Medved cut off Harris at the end.  Harris was making a point that people ask the wrong question about so-and-so.  He explained how the wrong question was wrong, and then got to, “Instead, the right question is…” and Medved cut him off!!  Medved apparently didn’t want Harris to make yet another excellent point.  Instead, Medved went on to babble for another 45 seconds to conclude that “maybe Harris has doubts about his doubt.”  Wow, awesome comeback, Mike!!  How fricken immature.  Too bad Medved doesn’t have the class to let his guests finish their points.

Well done, Sam!!!

Posted: 21 September 2006 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Medved is disingenuous for not listing Sam’s book on his website.  At least give Sam the courtesy of a plug for his book.

I knew Medved can’t handle Sam.

Sam you da Man!

I don’t understand why Medved apologizes for Bush and Christians when deep in their hearts they all believe Medved is going to burn in hell because Medved is a Jew who doesn’t not accept Jesus Christ as the Saviour.

Posted: 21 September 2006 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2817
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Good job today Sam. Probably didn’t sway anyone either way, but interesting job nonetheless.

Champ, even I occasionally sway people over coffee at Starbucks, especially if they’re young and the coffee is fresh. Don’t kid yourself. Your side gains converts and so does mine.

Would you agree that Letter to a Christian Nation seems likely to sway many more people than his other book, since its diction and word count are so much slimmer?

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 21 September 2006 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15
[quote author=“johnnyfatsac”]I was in and out of my car today while Sam was on the Medved show. What I heard was great. Does anyone have a recording they can put online?

There are program archives on his site, johnny, but be warned: that subjects you to the entire three hours wink. Sam’s segment is in the second hour.

archives page

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 22 September 2006 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

What I most admired while listening to Sam, especially in contrast to someone like Mr. Medved, is Sam’s clarity and calm, even when under attack. Medved is subject to strident, defiant outbursts and whiny tones (I remember this from his movie critic days; it bugged me then, too). . . and yet Sam just let it roll off him, before proceeding again in a mild but persistent fashion. He was equally at ease with Medved’s callers.

I loved how he kept identifying the misleading—what he called “wrong”—questions. I remember that way of talking, tossing off questions from the Christian perspective that were dead-giveaways that I was seeing things only though the eyes of the fairytale. Medved did the same thing.

Sam (who admitted he was raised “pretty secularly”) is a really wonderful example for someone like me, who still has big issues with reining in frustrations in conversation wink. I wonder if he was always this good at it, or if it took years to work up to. Wish he did a weekly radio show.

A funny Medved comment: “If people want to read one Christian-bashing book - I don’t know why you would, but you may want to read one Christian bashing this year—this is the best of them, and partially because it’s the shortest.”

:D I guess he realized it could’ve logically been a LOT longer.

By the way, Medved played a blurb from the TV show The View this week, where Rosie O’Donnell said something to the effect of: “Radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam.” Granted, Sam went on to disagree with her statement, but what surprised me about it was that, even before Rosie finished the sentence, the audience was . . . applauding??? I wouldn’t have thought that audience was particularly non-theist, and yet . . . *shrug*

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2006 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01

This guy is fast becoming my hero and I never had one in my life…Sam, you go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go! :D

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 22 September 2006 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Mia”]There are program archives on his site, johnny, but be warned: that subjects you to the entire three hours wink. Sam’s segment is in the second hour.

archives page

Thanks for the link!  Btw, you don’t have to listen to all three hours.  The Sam segment starts at 37:45 and is about 40 minutes long (they take out the commercials).

Posted: 23 September 2006 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-09-18

Thanks again for that link.

Sam did extremely well, as usual.  Sucks that he got cut off at the end, but I think he was trying to say something like “The question you should ask is not what evidence is there against God, but what evidence there is for God.

Anyways, he did very well, and it felt great to hear such similar viewpoints to mine being expressed on a national level once again.  I hope he does a lot more publicity for his new book (and I hope I can find links to said media on this website).

Posted: 24 September 2006 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Medved is disingenuous for not listing Sam’s book on his website.  At least give Sam the courtesy of a plug for his book.

Sam you da Man!

I don’t understand why Medved apologizes for Bush and Christians when deep in their hearts they all believe Medved is going to burn in hell because Medved is a Jew who doesn’t not accept Jesus Christ as the Saviour.

All Christians do not believe that anyone who is not a Christian is going to hell.  If fact, some believe that the number of people “going to hell” is actually a single digit number. 

As to the actual number going to Hell and exactly what Hell is, I have no idea.  But please stop implicating *all* Christians in your statements on this subject.

Posted: 24 September 2006 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“johnpritzlaff”]Thanks again for that link.

Sam did extremely well, as usual.  Sucks that he got cut off at the end, but I think he was trying to say something like “The question you should ask is not what evidence is there against God, but what evidence there is for God.

Anyways, he did very well, and it felt great to hear such similar viewpoints to mine being expressed on a national level once again.  I hope he does a lot more publicity for his new book (and I hope I can find links to said media on this website).

As a devout Christian, I believe that Mr. Harris’ latest book and arguments are cogent, easy to understand and I agree with nearly every point he is trying to get across.

I also agree the real question is:
“not what evidence is there against God, but what evidence there is for God.”

Can someone point me to the link for this show?  I’d love to see it.

Yes, I obviously believe in God but that doesn’t mean I think Mr. Harris isn’t correct about a lot of the issues he talks about.

Posted: 24 September 2006 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

nm,  found it.

smile

Posted: 24 September 2006 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“CDNemelka”][quote author=“Anonymous”]Medved is disingenuous for not listing Sam’s book on his website.  At least give Sam the courtesy of a plug for his book.

Sam you da Man!

All Christians do not believe that anyone who is not a Christian is going to hell.  If fact, some believe that the number of people “going to hell” is actually a single digit number. 

As to the actual number going to Hell and exactly what Hell is, I have no idea.  But please stop implicating *all* Christians in your statements on this subject.

It is at the core of Christianity that accepting Christ as “the saviour” is the only way to heaven, therefore if you reject Christ you don’t get into heaven.

Posted: 24 September 2006 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“CDNemelka”][quote author=“johnpritzlaff”]Thanks again for that link.

As a devout Christian, I believe that Mr. Harris’ latest book and arguments are cogent, easy to understand and I agree with nearly every point he is trying to get across.

I also agree the real question is:
“not what evidence is there against God, but what evidence there is for God.”

Can someone point me to the link for this show?  I’d love to see it.

Yes, I obviously believe in God but that doesn’t mean I think Mr. Harris isn’t correct about a lot of the issues he talks about.

I also believe in God (well, I think that God most likely exists - I don’t claim that I am sure of it or that I cannot be dissuaded from the possibility of him not existing - and there is a huge difference between the two in my opinion).  I am, however, not a Christian.  My God is a little different, it’s a God that I think most secularists could loosely accept, and it surprisingly can be defined by most of the “omnis” of faith.  My religion is different from yours (at least if you’re like most Christians) in that it accepts the scientific method completely (and not in the way creation “science” does).  I know this sounds contradictory, but it’s is for another discussion. 

Anyways, my point is this:  how do you rectify your religion with Sam’s views (at least the ones you agree with)?  Not rhetoric, I’m honestly interested, and I’m not trying to sound smug.  I don’t doubt you could have a good answer.

Posted: 25 September 2006 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

How many people named “Guest” do you suppose are about to flood this forum? Too bad it’s not a requirement to register before posting. . . yet.  Things could get even nuttier than when we actually know who we’re talking to.

Signature 

1 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed