2 of 2
Professors could be sued for stating evolution as fact
Posted: 26 March 2005 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Wow Wot!

I know, lets tell doctors how to practice medicine.  Then lets tell lawyers how to do their work and, shoot, lets all us incredibly wise folks tell all of these stupid professionals how to do their jobs.

Wait a minute.  Come to think of it, thats exactly what we are doing with doctors.  Wonder why health costs are out of control and medical care is getting worse?  Surely it couldn’t be because us smarter folks are trying to second guess medical opinions. Naw.

g

Posted: 27 March 2005 01:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

Well it is a dirty job but somebodys gotta do it. You abstain, so that leaves the rest of us.

Posted: 27 March 2005 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

Pedagogical

2. Characterized by pedantic formality: a haunty, pedagogic manner

*seems to support educator elitism* !!

Pedantic, adj, :

1. Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules.

2. Marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects. [syn. academic, donnish]

*key word narrow*

Pedagogue, n, :

1. A schoolteacher; an educator

2. One who instructings in a pedantic or dogmatic manner.

*ah HA found DOGMA finally !! knew it would be here somewhere !!*

Dogma, n, :

1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.

2. An authoritative principle or belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially considered to be absolutely true.  Syn “Doctrine”.

3. A principle or belief or a group of them: “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present” (Abraham Lincoln)

so the bill says “Just the facts, ma’am, or the very least “true” opinions.

kk now that I cleared that up to my satifaction by focusing on one word only, I am no longer in the least alarmed by either the existance of this law nor whatever the hell was going on that made the legislature think they needed to pass this law = P

Just interested me the way they used that word, I found it strange.

Posted: 28 March 2005 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Iisbliss said:

so the bill says “Just the facts, ma’am, or the very least “true” opinions.

kk now that I cleared that up to my satifaction by focusing on one word only, I am no longer in the least alarmed by either the existance of this law nor whatever the hell was going on that made the legislature think they needed to pass this law = P

Like you I continue to be un-alarmed by this Bill but do continue to wonder why such an apparently elemetary educational bill of rights should be required at all.  Trying to uncover some sinister plot by the religious right as was suggested by some, I peeled the next layer of this onion.

Sen. Steven Wise is the sponsor

http://www.flsenate.gov/Legislators/index.cfm?Members=View+Page&LastName=Wise&District_Num_Link=005&Title;=->Senate->Wise, Stephen R.&Submenu=1&Tab=legislators&chamber=Senate

He is a Republican and a Baptist (UGH) but appears to be the more benign type but is also a retired educator with a Ed. D.  -  I think this to be equivent of a PhD in education. So much for the notion put forward by George that the legislatures are laced with underling uneducated (or at least lowly educated) types.  So we have an educatior sponsoring a bill on education. I suppose George would dismiss him as a heretic or traitor but unfortunately he has chosen to withdraw to the warm fuzzy and back-slapping of his incestuous faculty club meetings.
The Sen Education Committe is composed of 5 Reps and 3 Dems and my understanding is that the Dems opposed the measure.
I will dig a little deeper and see if I can find the horror.

Stay Well

Wot

Posted: 28 March 2005 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

Keep going Wot, meanwhile I am checking Texas for something similiar.

Your findings on who supported this and who didnt is actually more interesting than the bill itself, but I am still curious what exactly it addresses.

Posted: 28 March 2005 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Iisbliss

If you are asking for the total text of the bill, the link is in the third post (mine) on page one of this thread.  Notice that it applies to post-secondary schools - i.e. colleges and universities - public only. Private schools are free to do whatever they want.

Stay Well
Wot

Posted: 29 March 2005 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

no I am more interested in what kind of things were going on that the bill hopes to stop?

ie why was this law needed?

Here in Texas, we have a law against tying your crocodile to a fire hydrant… apparently this was a BIG problem at one time = p

Posted: 29 March 2005 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

I asked the sponsor that very question by email - it is a preventative measure or does it address a specific problem? I got an auto-response indicating that the Senator cannot respond to every email. Unless he responds I am afaraid I have little more to say on this topic. My bottom line at this time is that the objection to the bill can be largely categorized as irrational screeching except for the parochial response by George.
The composition of the Senate Education Committee may be of interest:

The chair is female, republican with a Ed. D
7 of 8 claim Christian affiliation, one is Jewish
5 are male, 3 female
2 have a ED. D
2 have a Masters in Education
1 has an MBA
1 has a BSEE
1 has a JD (law)
1 has Comunity College education
2 are African-American
5 are Republicans