NEW WIRED MAGAZINE COVER STORY
Posted: 20 October 2006 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-09-27

The new November 2006 issue of Wired magazine has a cover story entitled "The New Atheism:  Inside the Crusade Against Religion".

There is a lengthy article inside about Harris, Dawkins, Dennett and others.

Well worth checking out.

-Mark

Posted: 20 October 2006 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

I’ll definitely pick that up. . . although I regret that atheists often seem to relish in using Christian terminology. . . ala “crusade”. . . but I suppose it’s predictable, and makes for a catchy banner headline. Is there any reason they couldn’t have titled it “The New Atheism: Inside the Challenge to Religious Myth” . . . ? Just my pet peeve, I guess.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 20 October 2006 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

I regret that I have but one life to live for Jesus Christ.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 20 October 2006 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15
[quote author=“TheChampion”]I regret that I have but one life to live for Jesus Christ.

To the sounds of roaring cheers and applause, I present to TheChamp—with great flourish and an explosion of paparazzi flashes—his golden statuette for “Best Internet Portrayal of a Male Christian Sillyhead, 2006”.

Nobody does it better, Champ—never change, babe wink.

Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2006 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2005-12-22
[quote author=“TheChampion”]I regret that I have but one life to live for Jesus Christ.

You should become Hindu then.  Then you’ll have thousands or so lives to live for whomever you wish.

Posted: 23 October 2006 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2005-07-18

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71985-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

How much of a thrill do you think it is for Sam to be continually be mentioned along side Richard Dawkins?

Posted: 23 October 2006 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

So is that the exact article that appears in the newsstand version, or is there more?

Oooohhh, spooky new pic :D!

http://www.wired.com/ly/wired/news/images/full/FF_182_atheism3_f.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 23 October 2006 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

Apologies. . . I just saw that it goes on for 8 pages, so that is quite huge.

Interesting quote from Dawkins on page 2:

“The number of nonreligious people in the U.S. is something nearer to 30 million than 20 million,” he says. “That’s more than all the Jews in the world put together. I think we’re in the same position the gay movement was in a few decades ago. There was a need for people to come out. The more people who came out, the more people had the courage to come out. I think that’s the case with atheists. They are more numerous than anybody realizes.”

I wonder what his reference is for those numbers?

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2006 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

This article from Wired is going around on several atheist sites.  It was sent to me from Atheist Empire.  I was going to bring it here but was too late.  It is well worth reading it all the eway through.

Posted: 24 October 2006 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-10-20

I have not read the article yet,but if that photo from above is part of it I think that image speeks volumes about attitudes tworads Atheism..We are all surrounded by darkness.no hope no light..If that was a picture of a religious author it would have been shot with a pastoral background and blue birds flying in the background.. its time to end the myth that a non-religious life contains no light.

Posted: 24 October 2006 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

Read the article and come outside and stand in the sun with the rest of us.  I declared my Atheism over 20 years ago.  I lost some friends and made more!  When I went on line I began to see if there was any new Republican groups started that would help each other to reduce the power and authority creeping up on us from the government.  I saw my first entrance of the religous right who were determined to firm up the Bill of Rights adding a list of sins to be prohibited.  I attended a couple of local Republican meetings and there it was.  The GOP was now the party of Jesus Christ and no other God need apply.  A “No God” was asked to leave.  This has not changed today. 

I felt as if a cancer had suddenly shown up within the political party I had joined in 1953.  In 40 years the religious right had destroyed the GOP.  I’d been so deeply involved in politics all my life, I had to simply tell people I could no longer support either party as I found nothing of interest in either one.  I went from Perot to the LP.  I also explained that since the religious right had moved into the GOP it was time to declare my Atheism.  My Mormon relatives simply turned their backs on me and I was delighted!

Posted: 24 October 2006 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“Mia”]
Interesting quote from Dawkins on page 2:

“The number of nonreligious people in the U.S. is something nearer to 30 million than 20 million,” he says. “That’s more than all the Jews in the world put together. I think we’re in the same position the gay movement was in a few decades ago. There was a need for people to come out. The more people who came out, the more people had the courage to come out. I think that’s the case with atheists. They are more numerous than anybody realizes.”

I wonder what his reference is for those numbers?

I do too.  Especially given the dubious reference in the Salon interview, about studies showing atheists are smarter than believers.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 24 October 2006 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

This was a disappointing article, IMO.  The author seemed to be struggling to come up with an overall thesis and wound up being snarky and ultimately emotional instead.

The last sentence: Or, you might say, our bedrock faith: the faith that no matter how confident we are in our beliefs, there’s always a chance we could turn out to be wrong.

Sigh. 

I have no “faith” that I could turn out to be wrong.  I know it as a fact.  Please prove me wrong. 

And no, lack of political advantage, subjective reports, and absence of evidence are not ways to do it.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 25 October 2006 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

i know they need to sell magazines, hence the the flashy title, but wouldn’t it more accuraely be described as:

The crusade against unfounded superstitions?

The crusade for truth and evidence in argument?

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed