DEEPAK CHOPRA IS A LUNATIC
Posted: 29 October 2006 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-09-27

DEEPAK CHOPRA IS A LUNATIC

Deepak Chopra was on Larry King Live yesterday, Oct 28, 2006, promoting his new non-fiction book "Life After Death".

Dr. Chopra's claims were so ludicrous, so absolutely unsupportable, I thought he was joking.  Unfortunately for the audience, he was not joking.

In his self-deceived disinformation campaign, Chopra claimed that he knows that souls exist.  He then proceeded to lay out his vision of the path that this soul takes on its journey into the afterlife.  His vision of the afterlife is utter gibberish and difficult for me to re-create here.  Suffice it to say, he posits the existence of various “creative levels” that the soul passes through on the apparent camping trip hike that is the afterlife.

Now, what are the odds that Chopra produces even a shred of hard scientific evidence for any of these claims?  Chopra was somewhat evasive when asked about the basis for these claims, but essentially he was trying to pass this stuff off as fact—cold, hard fact.

As a medical doctor, I am incredibly embarrassed that so many doctors (ie – Francis Collins) are lining up on the wrong side of the science vs. religion culture wars.  Medicine seems to self-select for religious believers or to create them through the process of medical school and residency.  Emphasis is not placed on scientific experimentation or testing of truth claims in medical school.  Instead, the learning is skewed toward rote memorization of facts followed by massive regurgitation of said facts on an exam.  Ultimately med school graduates are well-versed in the language of science, but in my opinion they don’t fully comprehend the basis of these facts or how they were obtained.  In addition, as Sam Harris has mentioned repeatedly, there is no point in the training of a scientist when they sit you down and tell you “Hey, you stop believing this stuff – it’s bullshit!” 

Deepak Chopra makes cynical use of scientific language and the prestige of the MD degree to prop-up his bogus religious certainties.  This type of person represents a growing problem in the ongoing debate about religion in America and an honest evaluation of the evidence necessary to substantiate religious claims.  Individuals like Chopra should be singled out for our harshest criticism.

Posted: 29 October 2006 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

I’ve long had Chopra on my dubious list, but he always managed to conceptualize certain ideas that helped me to appreciate something of truth in his views, well, I guess that’s over! I missed the interview, but I’m sure it will be repeated, . . . but really how much more do I need to know about this quack?

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 29 October 2006 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
[quote author=“wavelength32”]Ultimately med school graduates are well-versed in the language of science, but in my opinion they don’t fully comprehend the basis of these facts or how they were obtained.

Do you think this is worsening?  Incidentally, I agree with you FWIW.  I have to police my doctors’ advice because they are so gullible.  But that’s becoming harder, especially when it comes to pharmaceuticals.

Deepak Chopra makes cynical use of scientific language and the prestige of the MD degree to prop-up his bogus religious certainties.  This type of person represents a growing problem in the ongoing debate about religion in America and an honest evaluation of the evidence necessary to substantiate religious claims.  Individuals like Chopra should be singled out for our harshest criticism.

Yes, he’s even worse than engineers who criticize evolution because they are out of their field, and he isn’t… well, hasn’t been in some past books.  I can’t say for this one.

Here is some typical Chopak quackery from an uncritical interview:

Veronica: By changing one’s perception of aging, we can change our age. How?

Dr. Chopra: Well most people think that aging is fatal and scientific data shows that that’s not true. People don’t die of old age, they die of diseases that accompany old age, and they are preventable.

Most people think that aging is irreversible and we know that there are mechanisms even in the human machinery that allow for the reversal of aging, through correction of diet, through anti-oxidants, through removal of toxins from the body, through exercise, through yoga and breathing techniques, and through meditation. Most people believe that aging is normal but nobody defines what normal aging is. What we call normal may be the psychopathology of the average. Most people think that aging is genetic and yet if your parents lived to age 80+ that will add three years to your life.  [Huh?]

People have to change their concepts of aging and I am not asking them to do so based on some fanciful notion but on scientific fact. When they change that, then their perception of aging will change and it will become clear to them to grow old and to become wiser, to become more creative, to become the springboard for creativity and affluence. Once your perception of the whole phenonenom changes, your reality will change because reality is nothing other than your perception of it.

Veronica:You have stated that if we could effectively trigger the intention not to age, the body would carry it out automatically. Could you explain that?

Dr. Chopra: Yes, because intentions are the triggers for transformation in the body. If you want to wiggle your toes, you do it through intention. There are two components to biological information in the body, one is intention, the other is attention. So to go back to the example I gave you, to wiggle your toes. The first thing that happens is that your attention goes there and the second thing is there is an intention, so this biological information with attention and intention is what biological information is given. Awareness that acts as biological information goes to components, then an informational component, and then there’s a localizing component, and that’s how the body behaves.

If you can wiggle your toes with the mere flicker of an intention, why can’t you reset your biological clock? The reason most people can’t do it is because, first, they never thought of it and secondly they think that certain things are easier to do than other things. For example, it is easier to wiggle the toes than reset the biological clock, but that is just a belief that is rooted in superstition. If we could understand that the human body is a network of information and energy, then we would see that the same principles apply everywhere in the body.

From “A Few Thoughts on Ayurvedic Mumbo-Jumbo”:

Deepak Chopra claims that “by consciously using our awareness, we can influence the way we age biologically. . . . You can tell your body not to age.” He has reportedly made millions of dollars marketing such messages along with books, lectures, tapes, and consumables based on a “modern” version of an ancient Indian healing system (ayurvedic medicine). Chopra promises “perfect health” to those who—through ayurvedic methods—can harness their consciousness as a healing force. Chopra claims that “remaining healthy is actually a conscious choice.” He states:

‘If you have happy thoughts, then you make happy molecules. On the other hand, if you have sad thoughts, and angry thoughts, and hostile thoughts, then you make those molecules which may depress the immune system and make you more susceptible to disease.’

The rear cover of his book Perfect Health states:

‘Once you have determined your body type from the detailed quiz inside . . . this book provides you with a personally tailored program of diet, stress reduction, exercises and daily routines. It’s based on a 5,000-year-old system of mind/body medicine that has been revived today as Maharishi Ayurveda. Its a total plan for . . . using the power of quantum healing to transcend disease and aging—for achieving Perfect Health.’

This is just disgraceful.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 29 October 2006 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-10-20

Is any one else out there just O.K. with dying and NOTHING happening after the fact?..because i sure am.What is the facination with stuff? I mean I can see before people understood about the natural process of death that they must have wondered what the hell happend to their family member and then having to weave some mystical line of clap-trap to explain it .This morbid and assinine conjecturing on the “afterlife” is nothing more than new age snake oil .
Give me a fancy name and add a Phd. and I will tell you the mystical journey that the maggotts are going to take through your skull.
Deepak may need to lay off the hydroponic weed.

Posted: 30 October 2006 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

“The urge for long life is another form of greed.”

Zen Master Joshu Sasaki (when asked by a beginning student if Zen would prolong his life).

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 31 October 2006 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2005-02-06

Hey gang,

As a medical doctor, I am incredibly embarrassed that so many doctors (ie – Francis Collins) are lining up on the wrong side of the science vs. religion culture wars. Medicine seems to self-select for religious believers or to create them through the process of medical school and residency. Emphasis is not placed on scientific experimentation or testing of truth claims in medical school. Instead, the learning is skewed toward rote memorization of facts followed by massive regurgitation of said facts on an exam. Ultimately med school graduates are well-versed in the language of science, but in my opinion they don’t fully comprehend the basis of these facts or how they were obtained.

I am also a physician…and disgusted. You’re right about medical training and how there is precious little time spent on critical thinking. Some physicians think so little about what they are actually doing they might as well be faith healers. The hard part is, that’s what a lot of patients seem to want. They just want to be told how they can live forever…don’t bother them with facts or statistics. A large number of physicians like to enhance their own self image by playing to this public idea that the body is “miraculous” and they, as physicians, have power over it. One local doc even wrote an editorial recently giving the body as evidence for intelligent design. One thing I’m sure of though, even his patients give credit to God when things go well…and call their lawyers when they don’t.

Rod

Posted: 03 November 2006 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2136
Joined  2006-02-20

[quote author=“wavelength32”]DEEPAK CHOPRA IS A LUNATIC

Deepak Chopra was on Larry King Live yesterday, Oct 28, 2006, promoting his new non-fiction book “Life After Death”.

Dr. Chopra’s claims were so ludicrous, so absolutely unsupportable, I thought he was joking.  Unfortunately for the audience, he was not joking.

In his self-deceived disinformation campaign, Chopra claimed that he knows that souls exist.  He then proceeded to lay out his vision of the path that this soul takes on its journey into the afterlife.  His vision of the afterlife is utter gibberish and difficult for me to re-create here.  Suffice it to say, he posits the existence of various “creative levels” that the soul passes through on the apparent camping trip hike that is the . . .

“Apparently many of the Hindu yogis were trapped by longing for other worlds.  Abandoning otherworldly longings is a hallmark of Buddhist teaching, practice, and enlightenment.”  - Thomas Cleary

Signature 

“The simple fables of the religious of the world have come to seem like tales told to children.”  - Nobel Prize recipient - Francis Crick

“It is time we recognized the boundless narcissism and self-deceit of the saved.” - Sam Harris

Posted: 16 January 2007 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-09-02

Deepok Chopra is bad but he’s not alone it’s a sort of vague new age mysticism that tries to incorporate all sorts of religious ideas into single philosophies. (Think Sylvia Browne or that moron who was on the Colbert report talking about the return of snake gods.)BTW -  Chopra went on larry king once and claimed that Jesus wasn’t a christian and all sorts of other gibberish.

Posted: 16 January 2007 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-01-14

[quote author=“wavelength32”]Medicine seems to self-select for religious believers or to create them through the process of medical school and residency.  Emphasis is not placed on scientific experimentation or testing of truth claims in medical school.  Instead, the learning is skewed toward rote memorization of facts followed by massive regurgitation of said facts on an exam.  Ultimately med school graduates are well-versed in the language of science, but in my opinion they don’t fully comprehend the basis of these facts or how they were obtained.

It’s good to hear this from a doctor, as it has been my theorized position as a lowly biology major.  It seems to me many medical related courses are hazing rituals – putting people through torturous processes (binge and purge learning) too make sure they’re on board and won’t make waves in the future.  I knew plenty of pre-med people who weren’t required to take an evolution course.  If this is a widespread phenomenon, we have millions of medical professionals who are unfamiliar with fundamental principles of evolution.  This is travesty.

I don’t see the faults in the medical profession resulting in Deepak Chopra, I see misused pharmaceuticals and lack of preventative approaches.  Deepak appears rather benign in my view.  Chopra is just another guru, and so will only appeal to people looking for a guru – read: people who aren’t looking to just go to church and forget about their problems.

Signature 

“Don’t listen to me, listen to your head”
—Jourgensen

Posted: 16 January 2007 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-01-14

[quote author=“JESTERKING45”]Deepok Chopra is bad but he’s not alone it’s a sort of vague new age mysticism that tries to incorporate all sorts of religious ideas into single philosophies. (Think Sylvia Browne or that moron who was on the Colbert report talking about the return of snake gods.)BTW -  Chopra went on larry king once and claimed that Jesus wasn’t a christian and all sorts of other gibberish.

What exactly is wrong with people flocking towards Chopra or Pinchbeck?  Did you ever stop to think that maybe they’re going to new age gurus due to dissatisfaction with organized religion – a dissatisfaction that may easily have been spurred on by the writings of Harris and/or Dawkins?  If someone makes a rational decision to enter into a worldview based on spurious science, they’re not adhering to the intolerance and dogmatic denial of science as a whole, which is inherent in most religions.  For that we should be happy.

Signature 

“Don’t listen to me, listen to your head”
—Jourgensen

Posted: 16 January 2007 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  407
Joined  2005-06-16

[quote author=“wavelength32”]DEEPAK CHOPRA IS A LUNATIC

Yep!
I figured that one out years and years ago.
His books are full of hocus pocus - love potions loosly disguised in metaphysical garbage- can’t believe that he hasn’t disappeared into that great archive of dusty secondhand books.

The American TV interviewer’s must be hardup for someone to interview.

Do you wonder why he immigrated to America?
LOL

Posted: 26 January 2007 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1024
Joined  2006-09-13

Death is exactly like pre-birth. If people would just shutup and even maybe assume that when we die, the “candle” goes out - this world would be transformed into a geopolitical and spiritual utopia.

Sadly, we slightly evolved primates aren’t as smart as we think we are.

Stupid humans… Stupid beliefs… It’s okay to say, “I don’t know”...

Signature 

“All religions are valid, NONE are literal.” -Joseph Campbell

Posted: 30 January 2007 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-09-02

Yeah, but most of these people still maintain there christian/religious beliefs they just incorporate the “insights” of these people and call them proofs of their beliefs. Citing Chopra as proof that science has found the soul. I just think this type of mysticism is just as bad because it pretends to be scientific. Yeah it’s better but not by much.

Posted: 30 January 2007 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1538
Joined  2006-12-04

Is any one else out there just O.K. with dying and NOTHING happening after the fact?..because i sure am.What is the facination with stuff? I mean I can see before people understood about the natural process of death that they must have wondered what the hell happend to their family member and then having to weave some mystical line of clap-trap to explain it .This morbid and assinine conjecturing on the “afterlife” is nothing more than new age snake oil .
Give me a fancy name and add a Phd. and I will tell you the mystical journey that the maggotts are going to take through your skull.
Deepak may need to lay off the hydroponic weed.

I’m pretty much ok with it by now. It was not always the case, though. I suppose the test is: my grandmother just died at 91. I loved her dearly, and she even wrote a sweet letter sometime before she died, claiming that we should all act as if she did not die after she dies, because she’s just in the next room. 

I don’t believe a shred of it.  She was cremated and her body is now ashes.  She is not rotting in the ground for only that reason!  But as far as I can see and as far as I can sense, she is gone.  Her memory lives within me, but even that, over time, will fade, just like my last grandmother.  I also loved her deeply and she died about 30 years back.  When people die, any number of things may happen to their physical bodies, and it makes sense that what happens to their bodies happens to their minds (being a function of the brain).

When I die, I am finished as HappyHeathen.  “I” simply cease.  Someone on this forum will hold me accountable here for semantics, as I am using “know” statements instead of the more pc critical thinking-based inferences.  Sorry.

I have never seen any evidence of eternal life, just lots of wishful thinking and blind faith.  Oh, and really bad programming on 20/20, the FOX network and even on PBS that all examines life after death. 

Bullshit, all.  Infinite non-existence surrounds us on both sides.  Live like you mean it.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed