1 of 2
Define Spirituality
Posted: 31 March 2005 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-02-09

Harris makes references to spirituality in his book.  I do not recall Harris defining the term.

I'm curious to hear peoples' own personal definitions.

Define spirituality?

Posted: 31 March 2005 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2005-02-23

spir-i-tu-al-i-ty

n. An umbrella term used to describe the set of inquiries by which mankind seeks to advance its understanding of the meaning and purpose of human existence, and the revelations and beliefs that spring from these inquiries.

-Matt

Posted: 02 April 2005 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-23

My take on spirituality includes some aspect of supernatural—for instance, common connotations within “the spirit world,”  “Holy Spirit,”  “a ghostly spirit.”

Dave

Posted: 02 April 2005 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-03-21

trekking through the cloud forests of New Guinea while listening to Enya’s “watermark” album defined the term for me. It is simply ineffable, from whence it comes is a entirely different matter.

Posted: 02 April 2005 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

I thought about this for a few days.

I disagree spirituality is “supernatural” or outside nature.

I think its very natural.  I think if you look at most religions, even old pagan ones, the most common usage of the word is to define that feeling of being “connected” to something greater than oneself.

It’s this feeling that I think is related to religious ecstasy.  Also to meditation.  I also think dogma has a tendency to try to “define” this feeling with words, that in effect destroy the feeling.  While I personally think there is something “real” to this feeling or emotional state, I also think science needs to think about it too.

Posted: 07 April 2005 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2005-02-09

[quote author=“Iisbliss”]I thought about this for a few days.

I disagree spirituality is “supernatural” or outside nature.

I think its very natural.  I think if you look at most religions, even old pagan ones, the most common usage of the word is to define that feeling of being “connected” to something greater than oneself.

That’s not a bad attempt at a definition but to me it’s sort of vague.  Could that definition be also called ‘love’ or even ‘culture’?

Posted: 08 April 2005 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“Castaa”]That’s not a bad attempt at a definition but to me it’s sort of vague.  Could that definition be also called ‘love’ or even ‘culture’?

As a first attempt, I would define spirituality as “that which is common to all beings”.

- Bulldog

[ Edited: 08 April 2005 06:16 AM by ]

Posted: 08 April 2005 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“bulldog”]
As a first attempt, I would define spirituality as “that which is common to all beings”.

Actually, this seems more like a definition of “spirit”, so I would amend as follows (attempt #2, if you’re keeping score):

Spirituality is a set of beliefs about what is common among all beings.

- Bulldog

Posted: 08 April 2005 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“Iisbliss”]I I think if you look at most religions, even old pagan ones, the most common usage of the word is to define that feeling of being “connected” to something greater than oneself.

I would tend to elaborate on that a bit and say “connected” in such a way that makes one feel or believe that they somehow belong and whatever happens, happens for a reason, and that everything is going to be OK.

Anyone go for that :?
Supernatural indeed. I think I know how to experience it. Go for a long hike alone in a part of the woods that is that is totally unfamiliar to you, and don’t tell anyone where you are going. Do take a compass though.

Posted: 08 April 2005 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Don’t get caught up in all the intellectual hubris. The gospel is simple and liberating. Take it for what it is….

Posted: 08 April 2005 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Don’t get caught up in all the intellectual hubris. The gospel is simple and liberating. Take it for what it is….

I do sense a tad bit of intellectual pride on this forum, yet I’m far from being convinced that I should “take it for what it is”. These “intellectuals” have done much critical thinking and what they have to say should be considered by the believers and non-believers alike. Not considering them would be a sure sign of intellectual laziness. If we are going to be intellectually lazy, is is back with the herd we should stay.

Reminds me of a cartoon where a bunch of sheep are unaware that they are being herded over a cliff except for one black sheep that escapes out the back of the line saying, “excuse moi! excuse moi!” on his way out.

Posted: 08 April 2005 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-23

Here’s a definition no dictionary will print:
Spiritual: That human quality that people love to claim they have, yet can’t agree on what it is or why it’s so great; usually associated with what is considered “good” and “right.” Don’t admit you’re not spiritual, or else those around you will look at you funny, as though you’re lacking something essentially human. Take heart; they are unworthy of your friendship.

Dave

Posted: 08 April 2005 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Don’t get caught up in all the intellectual hubris. The gospel is simple and liberating. Take it for what it is….

If you really take it for what it is, then why aren’t you out stoning people to death? Why aren’t you sacrificing farm animals?

- Bulldog

Posted: 08 April 2005 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Ok, let’s say you’ve contemplated the views of atheists, intellectuals, liberals, and progressives. Let’s say that their views left you empty spiritually and left you yearning for something else. Let’s say that something was missing from all their poppycock.

So how about you stick with the intellectual theme, but let’s take a Christian intellectual. I’ve been saving this for a while, but I guess I could let you in on it. If you have a need for mental stimulation as well as the spiritual, then pass over all the religious characters you know right now (yes, God has activists in many places, and here is one). Those folks may not be watering the vine, so to speak. But here is another angle for the brainy intellectual who thirsts for integrity, reliability, and spirituality, without denigrating Christ’s holy name and holy mission.

http://www.ankerberg.com/

More on this later.

Posted: 08 April 2005 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

http://www.ankerberg.com/

More on this later.

Sorry Champ, but I went to the site and the first thing that popped up was the following solicitation: “Would you consider making a gift to the ministry at this time?” and beside it were two bottons labelled: “view cart” and “checkout”, so I immediately “checked out” of the site entirely. Maybe I’ll go back to it once the hoakiness has left me.

More on that later

Posted: 08 April 2005 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I went to the site, and a video starts playing with Christians arguing about fine points of scripture, and whether or not Christ appointed Peter the head of the church.  The Catholics say yes, the fundies say no. 

What kind of a religion is this, that two of the major sects can’t agree on a simple point like that.  The Greeks didnt have that problem, everything makes sense.  I just dont understand why you Christians cant get along with one another.  How do you expect to convert the rest of us?

William

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed