BECAUSE THEY HATE—BOOK TV
Posted: 02 November 2006 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-09-27

I urge everyone on this forum to watch a very powerful speech by Brigitte Gabriel that is currently on the Book TV website.  Her book is entitled "Because They Hate:  A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America".  I was very moved by her talk.  She supports Sam's position about liberal dogmatism/political correctness blinding us to the full extent of the threat posed by Islamic fundamentalism.

Here is the link:
Book TV—Click Here.

The author, a Lebanese Christian, relates her family's struggle for survival during the 1970's civil war between Lebanese Christians and Islamic fundamentalists.

I self-identify as a liberal, but find myself siding with conservatives over & over again on this particular issue.  To all liberal-minded people—we must squash the idea that Islamic fundamentalism is a result of the West's misadventures in the Middle East, that somehow we are to blame for all of this.  It is simply ludicrous to think that these people would behave nicely if only they were given economic opportunity, political freedoms, etc.  These people want to kill all of us, plain & simple.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's reactions to this talk.  For those who agree—what can we do to convince our fellow liberals to dispense with this political correctness and arrive at a realistic appraisal on this topic?

Posted: 03 November 2006 01:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2006-08-20

While Ms. Gabriel seems slightly hysterical (perhaps excusable considering her experiences) she nonetheless delivers an important message that should be seriously considered by politically correct, self congratulating liberals everywhere. Here is a posting I made on Aug. 30th which reflects the situation in my own city. Ms Gabriel estimates that 25% of Muslims are extemists. I use a much more conservative estimate.

[quote author=“dmcr35”]The BBC recently reported on a poll conducted in England and several other European cities in which Muslims were asked if they support the London Transit bombings.

Perhaps not surprisingly, 13% of UK Muslims answered in the affirmative. Results in other countries showed smaller percentages. Arguably, the UK result was influenced by England’s participation in the attack on Iraq.

I live in Toronto, Canada where, according to the 2001 census there live some 165,000 Muslims. If, for the sake of a conservative estimate, we suppose just 5% of them support terrorist activities, we come up with some 9,000 potential terrorists, male and female.

All it takes is one of these wackos to wake up one morning, decide that Allah has chosen him/her to smite the infidels, get together with his buddies and try to bring down the CN Tower. In the meantime, non-Muslims stand about congratulating themselves on the wonderful non-racist cultural mosaic.

We have already had one mildly disturbing episode a while ago where some 19 young Muslims we picked up for alleged terrorist activities.

I agree with Sam that Muslims pose one of the biggest threats to the West currently extant. At best, they work from within to destroy the culture. At worst, they could do incredible physical damage to a city and its population. The time for political correctness is over.

Dave

It’s time to wake up and realize what is going on around us. Our culture and way of life are being threatened.

Dave

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27

[quote author=“dmcr35”]It’s time to wake up and realize what is going on around us. Our culture and way of life are being threatened.

Dave

That’s fine, Dave. Just don’t be so selective and aim all your venom at a single religious denomination. They’re all bad actors.

Perhaps you are simply being careful not to offend the majority of people with whom you share your particular little plot of ground, and hope to live out your life with no great social upheavals.

But this “our culture and way of life are being threatened” crap is getting really old with me. Speak for your own ‘culture and way of life’, pal, and don’t necessarily include me in your rather selective but sweeping xenophobia.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 03 November 2006 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2006-08-20

[quote author=“Salt Creek”][quote author=“dmcr35”]It’s time to wake up and realize what is going on around us. Our culture and way of life are being threatened.

Dave

That’s fine, Dave. Just don’t be so selective and aim all your venom at a single religious denomination. They’re all bad actors.

Perhaps you are simply being careful not to offend the majority of people with whom you share your particular little plot of ground, and hope to live out your life with no great social upheavals.

No, I’m an equal opportunity offender and agree that they’re all bad actors.

But this “our culture and way of life are being threatened” crap is getting really old with me. Speak for your own ‘culture and way of life’, pal, and don’t necessarily include me in your rather selective but sweeping xenophobia.

I was speaking of the common culture and way of life of Western societies in general as opposed to that of the Middle East or Malaysia etc.  Have a look at what’s happening in the UK and France although the immiigrant situation is somewhat different in those countries. If you live in China,  you’re probably pretty safe, though.

Dave

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed