The next pope, a black man?
Posted: 02 April 2005 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-03-21

My Grandmother (who happens to be Catholic)strongly believes the next pope may be Cardinal Arinze. Arinze is an alledgedly popular black,Nigerian-born Cardinal I told her I would bet the bank that ain't
happing anytime soon!! I cannot imagine the Cardinals making this choice.
They would risk alienation among more "traditional"(read: closet/ not-so-closet racists) entities religious and layman alike. That would be a risk the Cardinals would probably not take at this time.The church is
in too much Chaos for them risk further disunity and strife("a house divided"). I mean anything is possible, but consider the present status of the church. Anyone out there think this is even a remote possibility? Don't
some of these extreme right-wing, anti-vatican two, P2-type forces still have alot of pull? There is still speculation regarding the untimely death of the supposedly liberal John Paul I (the pope right before John Paul II). It is rumored that the infamous "P2 lodge" had him murdered. Anyway,I just wanted to see if anyone feels differently and why.

Posted: 02 April 2005 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

When you consider that most of the growth in Catholicism is in the third world countries, the selection of an African pope could be a powerful recruiting and growth strategy. I don’t think it will happen but I would not bet the bank against it.

Stay Well

Wot

Posted: 03 April 2005 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

By a similar coincidence, most of the growth in other Christian religions is also in third world countries.

Posted: 05 April 2005 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

Iisbliss said:

By a similar coincidence, most of the growth in other Christian religions is also in third world countries.

Then the RCC could gain an advantage by selecting a black pope. Sounds like a good strategic move to me. The ideal candidate, from a perspective of recruiting advantage, would be a South American of African ancestry.
Never ignore what granny says.

Stay Well

Wot

Posted: 08 April 2005 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

On second thought,I agree with you Wotan regarding the tact of such a move. I just have a hard time believing the cardinals will abandon or set aside some of their own prejudices which i’m fairly certain atleast a few of them have. Also,whether they have prejudices or not, I think many would
simply fear the consequences of such a choice. However, if the outside pressure from powerful individuals and groups such as the opus dei is strong enough, they very well may be compelled to vote for Arinze or another “unorthodox” figure. I am sincerely hoping they don’t elect Arinze or someone like him,not because I am in any way racist. I just think such a move would placate many progressives and convince them the church
is evolving. If they simply elect another stodgy white european,the church’s position in the western world will probably continue to grow more and more untenable. Arinze is no reformer and anyway, it does’nt matter if he was. Like I’ve said in other posts,what really is pope but a figurehead. All the real power comes from behind the scenes. I doubt
the most liberal-minded pontiff could change the church’s positions on
birth control and other issues. Like everything in nature,the church will respond best to that great motivator,fear. If enough western progressives finally stop calling themselves Catholics,since their beliefs are often diametrically opposed to that of the official church,then we may see some
change.I hardly believe the church can make up the difference in the third world. Statistics show that a large percentage of american catholics disagree with the church’s teaching on many issues. I would suspect the number is atleast as high among europeans and other westerners. Many of the conservatives are old and have one foot in the grave. That said,if a substantial number of people grow some B***S and defect the church will either evolve or wither with litttle more than developing world support.

I think the days of the religious like JP II and the laity like Patrick Buchannon are numbered no matter what. If they at all value their
2000 y/o institution they better recognize this. If history and human
nature are at all good indicators I fear they will not. If the church
eventually either perishes or becomes a shell of it’s former self,it’s
no skin off my a**. However, it would be a shame to see an institution that could have been such a positive force in the world fail outright.
I cannot believe with all my loathing of the Catholic Church, that even
I would be happy that 2000 years of bloodshed,bad policies, etc…has
come and gone without some far more worthy accomplishments to it’s
credit. I won’t say the church has never acheived anything worthwhile,far
from it. But I sincerely think unless the church changes significantly and rapidly,that history will not be too kind to the Roman Catholic Church.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed