Dawkins at his best…
Posted: 11 November 2006 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01

http://richarddawkins.net/article,303,Reading-of-The-God-Delusion-in-Lynchburg-VA,Richard-Dawkins—C-SPAN2

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 13 November 2006 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2005-11-22

I saw the program yesterday afternoon.  He was terrific!  Some of the students seemed unable to form their questions.  I believe that our young adults are missing their critical thinking tools.  Few slurred their words so badly I could hardly understand the question and Dawkins was having a problem as well.

Could it be that phonics are being overlooked in our schools?  Do these kids ever read orally?  Many of the students wanted to be convinced by Dawkins that there is no God instead of figuring it out for themselves.  His answers were great!  He threw the questions back at them but tossed out some clues on how to make the evaluation.

Posted: 13 November 2006 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2006-10-18

I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

Posted: 13 November 2006 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

Snapshot.  Did you notice how the audience clapped when he suggested they find another University?  Very enjoyable presentation.

Posted: 13 November 2006 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-09-18

It really was great!

Posted: 13 November 2006 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2818
Joined  2005-04-29

[quote author=“snapshot1”]I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

I recorded the lecture yesterday and watched it this morning, paying close attention to the questioners. Glaringly obvious to me was how poorly phrased and awkwardly read the questions were from students at Falwell’s charade of a university, with each of them unfortunately stuck at about a 3rd-grade reading/writing level. On the other hand, all of the questioners from the valid university were blessed with adult minds.

Signature 

Philosophy may in no way interfere with the actual use of language; it can in the end only describe it. For it cannot give it any foundations either. It leaves everything as it is.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Posted: 13 November 2006 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01

[quote author=“homunculus”][quote author=“snapshot1”]I especially liked the part where he told everyone at Liberty University to drop out and attend a real university.  raspberry

I recorded the lecture yesterday and watched it this morning, paying close attention to the questioners. Glaringly obvious to me was how poorly phrased and awkwardly read the questions were from students at Falwell’s charade of a university, with each of them unfortunately stuck at about a 3rd-grade reading/writing level. On the other hand, all of the questioners from the valid university were blessed with adult minds.

In the name of almighty Zeus. amen 8)

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 14 November 2006 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-22

I too was shocked at their lack of thinking before asking their questions.  They had little phonic training as their words tended to run together.  I didn’t realize this was a Christian college.  No wonder their critical thinking was missing. 

Imagine having to run all your thoughts and words through the Jesus Sieve before asking a simple question or making a simple statement.  It’s almost like having to translate from one language to another.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed