5 of 13
The Cult of Evolutionists
Posted: 22 May 2006 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-04-17

It is easy to get involved in the back and forth of argument (or simple assertion in some cases) about the basis for this belief or that faith.  The most important point (to me, anyway) derives from WHY science exists. 

Frankly, no one has ever seen Brownian motion (not without a number of instruments and a number of steps between the alleged phenomenon and our observance of it).  No one has ever seen Einsteinium….  And one could say, no one has ever seen god.  So, its all about faith.  Right TC? 

Here is my point of view:  science works on explaining the world in a way that helps us understand it and move forward.  Religion explains the world by not explaining it:  we give over the way the world is to god, and god makes the decisions, it is not ours to question why, god works in mysterious ways, sometimes the answer to a prayer is no…. 

Science could work like that:  we could “believe” that Brownian motion is really caused by a bunch of little space ships buzzing around, and no one could really prove that molecules weren’t really tiny space ships.  But, assuming that molecules are space ships does not allow us to use that assumption in building other assumptions (it does not allow us to solve any real problems).  If molecular motion is the random occurrance of the whims of tiny space ship commanders, then there is no way to predict what this little madmen may do.  There is no way to use that knowledge, aside from a few potential Jepordy questions.  To shorten this somewhat, if we assumed molecules were space ships, we could never have invented the computer - because we would never have had a working basis for understanding how electricity works to start with. 

How do you invent a toaster from a belief in god?  Sit around at a table with a loaf of bread and hope that the divine presence will grill that dough? 

I may not have explained my point as clearly as I would have liked, but ultimately, this is it:  I know WHY we need science and a scientific approach to the world.  I’m still trying to figure out WHY we need religion. 

I’m pretty happy as I am.  What delusion do you need?

Posted: 03 July 2006 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

The power of the evolutionists is growing…..they’re getting power by the hour….they’re falling by the score (the faithful)....but who’s their boss?

Oh, my job keeps getting easier, as time keeps slipping away,
I can imitate your brightest light and make your night look just like day, I put some truth in every lie, to tickle itching ears, You know I’m drawing people just like flies, cause they like what they hear,

I’m gaining power by the hour, they’re falling by the score, You know, it’s getting very simple now cause no one believe in me anymore.

Oh, heaven’s just a state of mind, my books read on your shelf, And have you heard that God is dead, I made that one up myself, They dabble in magic spells, the get their fortunes read,

You know they heard the truth, but turned away and followed me instead, I used to have to sneak around, but now they just open their doors,

You know, no ones watching for my tricks because no one believes in me anymore.

Everyone likes a winner, with my help, you’re guaranteed to win, And hey man, you’re ain’t no sinner, you’ve got the truth within, And as your life slips by you believe the lie that you did it on your own, But don’t worry, I’ll be there to help you share our dark eternal home.

Oh, my job keeps getting easier, as day slips into day, The magazines, the newspapers, print every word I say, This world is just my spinning top, it’s all like childs-play, You know, I dream that it will never stop, but I know it’s not that way,

Still my work goes on and on, always stronger than before,
I’m gonna make it dark before the dawn since no one believes in me anymore,

Well now I used to have to sneak around, but now they just open their doors, You know, no one watches for my tricks since no one believes in me anymore, Well I’m gaining power by the hour, they’re falling by the score,

You know, it’s getting very easy now since no one believes in me anymore,

No one believes in me anymore.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 03 July 2006 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Jason Rosenhouse, author of EvolutionBlog ”]Stephen Jay Gould once observed that creationists are “singularly devoid of shame” in their willingness to use any argument, no matter how vacuous or frequently refuted, in making their case against evolution. He might have included right-wing demagogues alongside creationists. The tautology objection cannot survive the scrutiny of anyone versed in even the most basic elements of evolutionary theory. That Coulter would raise the issue so snidely, and have her book sell very well as a result, proves that knowing what you are talking about has no value for many on the political right.

Ironic that Creationists still like to use some of Gould’s comments as if he suported their cause, thus confirming his above observation. The rest of the article is a good intro (or a reminder, I guess) to the dishonest and willfully (strategically) ignorant mentality behind Creationism.

Also, there’s the video on the Atheist’s Nightmare which was posted somewhere else on this forum recently. It’s hilarious! And it illustrates the CPP (Creationist Parody Principle); “It has now become nearly impossible to discern the difference between actual creationist thought and parodies thereof.” And as my friend George Felis said in response, “The necessary corollary of this law is that there’s pretty much no point in mocking creationists - just point to what they actually say and do, and they do a great job mocking themselves!”

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 04 July 2006 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  222
Joined  2006-07-03

The atheist’s nightmare was indeed funny. I sent it to a friend of mine. I was left wondering if the creationist on that video already knew that bananas were domesticated by humans or if he thought that God created them that way.

I came across Ann Coulter’s “Godless” a few days ago at a local book store. I posted about it somewhere here. While I’m sure she believes what she writes, this book smacks of an attempt at breaking into the profitable Christian book industry. Maybe she is planning for the inevitable end of her career as a political pundent?

That said, Ann Coulter reminds me of someone I know quite well who is mentally ill, although not severely so, but enough to make me and many others avoid her. This person is actually very talanted and creative (she can play several instruments and is fluent in several lanquages), but she is afflicted by a combination of emotional instability and a complete lack of analytical thinking. She can’t synthesis information into her own ideas, but rather parrots more or less what she hears that already conforms to her preconceptions about the world. This combined with her upbringing has made her fanatically right wing and religious. Needless to say, this all makes it very difficult to talk with her about anything meaningful in life. My impression of the section about evolution in Coulter’s “Godless” was that she did not think much while writing it, but instead cut and pasted creationist arguments and filled in the rest with her opinion. It is a sloppy piece of right wing propaganda. Its only worth is the fact that, like all books, it initiates the act of reading- which is better for the mind than seeing or listening to her.

What is your take on Coulter? Do know anyone like her?

Posted: 11 September 2006 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

One thing is for sure, you best have your facts straight when talking to her, otherwise she will call you on it. Also, better be fast on your feet mentally. She’ll come at you with a mutifaceted attack. Ever watch how the other person debating her will look momentarily confused while trying to process what she says while simultaneously sweating a way to generate a comeback without looking foolish. Ever notice that…..all the while Coulter is in mid stroke, putting the finishing touches on her toughts, ending with a question of sorts that you probably should answer….and you don’t want to because either direction you go a hammer is waiting…....

Nah, don’t mess with her. Certain people are too good at what they do. When it comes to punditry, Coulter is one of theeeeee best.

I go out of my way to watch her in action. Its poetry in motion. I love it that she’s so conservative. She’s speaking my language and I almost never disagree with her.

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 11 September 2006 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

What does Ann Coulter know about facts? Remember when she tried to tell Canadians that they helped us in Vietnam?

What you call a multifaceted attack other call attention defict disorder since she apparently has problems holding a train of thought for more than one sentance.

And that look you think is confusion is really disbelief, as in “did she really just say what I think she said?”

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 12 September 2006 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2006-09-07

[quote author=“TheChampion”]It will cost. Yes, more than money. The cost will be huge. But the final victory will be sweet. It will be worth it in the end as we finally put to bed the crackpot theory, that is evolution.

How can you criticize evolutionary science if you are ignorant enough about it to post that “If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys” question? Its embarrasing to me just to listen to such a thing.

Signature 

“Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin. It doesn’t work.”—Alan Metzer

Posted: 12 September 2006 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Its really sad that those poor minkeys got left behind.

Did you say minkeys?
What?
You said minkey?
I know what I said.
Minkey….What’s a minkey?
(original Pink Panther….CAN NEVER RESIST, HA HA ....hee hee… HO HO)

So anyway, its really said that evolution allowed us to become so advanced and never took the time to help them as well. Minkeys everywhere must be terribly upset.

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2006 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-07

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Its really sad that those poor minkeys got left behind.

Who said they got left behind? They continued to evolve as well, just not in the same direction as humans. Since the human lineage split off from that of the restof the apes, something like 5-7 million years ago, monkeys have evolved into dozens, maybe hundreds of new species (How many I don’t know, I am no simian expert.)

Signature 

“Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin. It doesn’t work.”—Alan Metzer

Posted: 12 September 2006 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

[quote author=“SaulOhio”][quote author=“TheChampion”]Its really sad that those poor minkeys got left behind.

Who said they got left behind? They continued to evolve as well, just not in the same direction as humans. Since the human lineage split off from that of the restof the apes, something like 5-7 million years ago, monkeys have evolved into dozens, maybe hundreds of new species (How many I don’t know, I am no simian expert.)

“Since the human lineage split off from that of the restof the apes, something like 5-7 million years ago….”

Split off? Did you say….split off from the rest of the apes…..HA HA, you have GOT to be joking. No normal rational human being could believe such a thing. This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

So funny how mankind with its limited intellect and limited data can pinpoint a split about 5-7 MILLION….yes, that is MILLION years ago. Hey, do you know how much a million is? Its a whole lot of something. How many years of recorded history do we have?

If it is recorded….you might be able to convince me. If it is not recorded, don’t bother. You’re being ridiculous. MAN OH MAN….you guys are funny and don’t even know it.

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2006 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1763
Joined  2006-08-20
[quote author=“nyx”][quote author=“TheChampion”] But who will you listen to? The bible which is God’s word, or man? Who do you trust? (Listen to that still small voice inside you….)

In listening to that still small voice inside me, I am reminded of Emerson’s essay of “Self Reliance”.  I would recommend it as a true expression of wisdom.

Emerson:

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages.

He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore if it be goodness.  Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.

Nature suffers nothing to remain in her kingdoms which cannot help itself.  The genesis and maturation of a planet, it’s poise and orbit, the bended tree recovering itself from the strong wind, the vital resources of every animal and vegetable, are demonstrations of the self-sufficing and therefore self-relying soul.

So whom do I trust?  I have read what you perceive to be god’s word, and I have read the word’s of many men, including your own.  I refuse to insult my own intelligence.  I believe what Nature presents to me as true. 

I trust the integrity of my mind, and rejoice in it’s ability to expand and grow, as it perceives a physical and spiritual universe, with no gods or goddesses or dogma created by the minds of primative mankind.

Great Post nyx! Thanks.

Signature 

The ants are my friends, they’re blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind.

Dog is my co-pilot

Posted: 12 September 2006 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-07

Why is it ridiculous? You make fun of the idea, but offer no evidence why there is anything wrong with it. Sounds like you have the problem, and it is, you have no argument.

If it is recorded….you might be able to convince me. If it is not recorded, don’t bother. You’re being ridiculous. MAN OH MAN….you guys are funny and don’t even know it.

So anything that happened before recorded history is completely unknown? You are going to write off two centuries of paleontological research, geology, physics, astronomy and chemistry just because they say something about what happened before someone knew how to put pen to paper? Is being told about something by other human beings the only way you know to learn anything?

Signature 

Posted: 18 September 2006 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Since it takes a lot of faith to believe in evolution, and because it is a twisted faith that causes people to be powerless in this world, we have not registered a new cult with the world body of churches.

The new cult: Evolutionism!
This is a cult of believers…

Most of the youth of the country are not swayed by the cult’s use of twisted logic…

So far it is not illegal to be part of this cult…

For more information, see Cults under your dictionary.

so, have we FINALLY rid ourselves of “The Champion”? - the “champion” of whatever, mostly the “champion” of illogic - it seems that this person is now a mere “guest” in this forum - the #1 poster to this forum to date with over 2000 nonsensical comments may at last be retiring as this poster has no new comments to post

I suppose that the “champion’s” lack of sensible threads in their arguments, particularly those that supported the seditionist “Dr.” DJames Kennedy, showed how a person such as GWB could have been elected and how those same people that elected him (twice!) continue to support this president who has squandered the US treasury and military and seriously weakened the US position on this planet, all because this president pretends to be a “christian”

so long, “champ” - it’s been a dizzying ride reading your misguided comments and I’m sure glad they won’t be streaming in any more

adios! (Oh!, I forgot, you are against use of languages other than English, too, right?!) - ‘bye, then

Posted: 19 September 2006 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2006-08-18

I doubt we are rid of one of the three stooges, i think this one is Moe, based upon some of his endings.  Evolution is not a cult. The difference between a religion and a cult is the amount of real property they own.

Posted: 06 November 2006 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-25

Curses! The cult of Evolutionists has more fodder for their cause.

“Dolphin with four-wheel drive stuns the scientists”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=414678&in_page_id=1770

But this is just a one-time thing. This means nothing. Actually this completely screws up their theology that siggly things grew into fish and fish onto land and fish into minkeys and minkeys into humans. Here, the first was on land and goes back into the water. AH HA HA ha ha ha…..so much for the theory of evolution.

We got em now!!!

Signature 

5 of 13

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed