3 of 3
False dichotomy: conservative vs. liberal
Posted: 13 April 2005 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

You win, CA. I see now that defense contractors are the pillars of society. It is clear to me, from the self-reporting of the DoD, that every penny is clearly accounted for and absolutely necessary for the nation’s defense. If we paid a penny less for the equipment used by our military, or even started discussing an investigation into wartime profiteering or defense contractor malfeasance, then the terrorists will have already won.

- Bulldog

Posted: 13 April 2005 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

[quote author=“bulldog”]You win, CA. I see now that defense contractors are the pillars of society. It is clear to me, from the self-reporting of the DoD, that every penny is clearly accounted for and absolutely necessary for the nation’s defense. If we paid a penny less for the equipment used by our military, or even started discussing an investigation into wartime profiteering or defense contractor malfeasance, then the terrorists will have already won.

- Bulldog

Bulldog, although you are making a (poor) attempt at being sarcastic, I am pleased to inform you that you are actually pretty close to being right on the mark!

Few government, business or charitable organizations could (or would choose to) match the degree of internal and external audit, elaborate checks and balances, vulnerability to “whistleblowers”, and contract, political and/or press scrutiny as defense contractors undergo in order to ensure that they practice the highest levels of ethical behavior and are fully accountable for every aspect of their performance on government contracts.

Both the corporate and individual penalties for fraud and/or abuse with respect to government contracting are so severe that it is almost inconceivable that any defense contractor or one of their employees would attempt to deliberately defraud the government.

Occasionally, as in any large and complex activity, mistakes are made.  However, in almost every case, those mistakes are caught and self-reported to the government by the contractors themselves as soon as they are discovered.  This is the case with virtually every defense contracting “scandal” that you have ever heard or read about in the media. (Somehow, the media never seems to get around to reporting that fact.)

Since, I doubt that this topic is of much interest to others on this forum, unless you post something truly outrageous, this will be my last comment.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 13 April 2005 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

I have been lurking some watching the exchages here and nodding some at CA’s comments and even snickering some having been there.  I think the one thing that never got fully addressed is the outrageous costs involved with just doing business with the government becuase of the system they dictate.  This is the major element that precipitate the high overheads and correspondingly high cost of both development and production programs.  Contractors are required to create hugh infrastuctures to deal with government procurement, reporting and audit requirements.  Confomance to obscure and unnecessary specifications futher complicates the infrastructure and increases costs.  Some lip service was given to streamlining the process back when William Perry was Sec. of Defense which became known as the Perry Iniatives. Unfortunately, there was little or no impact on procurement costs.

Although some contactors can and do make a profit, defense contracting pretty much sucks from a business perspective and does not present a very pleasant career to those involved.

Stay Well
Wot

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed