OR school system considers openly catering to the faithful
Posted: 08 April 2005 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

OR district aims to woo home-schoolers by, for example, "allowing discussion of creationism in biology class, or biblical literature in English courses," illustrating that it takes a pretty strong faith infection to maintian the popular conservative religious persecution delusion.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 08 April 2005 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2005-02-24

Has anyone done any kind of study of what happens to home schooled kids when they have to deal with the real world? How well do they do? Home schooling oriented towards the extreme religious right has always seemed to me to be about the worst idea around. Students should be educated to deal with the 21st century, not the 15th. Not to mention the need for socialization and for learning to deal with one’s peers.

So much of Western art and literature can’t be understood without some knowledge of what’s in the Bible that offering a course that teaches it as literature isn’t that bad an idea.

Posted: 08 April 2005 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

MJ said:

So much of Western art and literature can’t be understood without some knowledge of what’s in the Bible that offering a course that teaches it as literature isn’t that bad an idea.

Such a course was offered when I was at the university back around the time of the Civil War. It was actually titled “The Bible as Literature.” I don’t think it was uncommon.  I didn’t take it as I was too wrapped up in things like electro-magnetic theory, calculus and the like.

Stay Well
Wot

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed