1 of 2
Suggested reading for TheChamp
Posted: 10 April 2005 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

Champ, here is a way to get a glimps of the other side of the coin without having to argue to get there, "Socrates and Jesus" do it all for us. You may have already read the discourse, but in case you haven't I urge you to.
http://www.unm.edu/~humanism/socvsjes.htm

Posted: 10 April 2005 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

That was a silly piece of writing, putting words in Jesus mouth, giving Socrates more credit than he is due. Silly…silly.

Every knee shall bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (that includes Socrates).

Posted: 10 April 2005 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]That was a silly piece of writing, putting words in Jesus mouth, giving Socrates more credit than he is due. Silly…silly.

Of course it was silly Champ, it wasn’t the word of God.
Oh silly me :wink:

Posted: 10 April 2005 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Hay Champ,

The gospels, written hundreds of years after christ is alleged to have lived, also put words into his mouth. And between them, they put a lot of inconsistent words in his mouth, so by definition most of them cannot be the actual words he is said to have spoken.

Why should we pay any attention to them? And how do we know which gospel is the correct one?

I thought Socrates tied poor Jesus in knots and exposed his lack of a message that makes any sense. How do you christians live with the inconsistency of the message? Do you just repeat it enough times so that you eventually erase its meaning?

Posted: 11 April 2005 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

TChamp, it seems that in the dialogue between Socrates and Jesus, the obvious winner (the one who actually makes sense) is Socrates.  Yet you respond with the comment that it is silly to “put words in the mouth of god” - but that is what you do all the time, in fact you are always giving us your version of your god’s “wisdom” (and many scriptural quotes as well, which don’t do a hell of a lot of good except to offer more confusion and contradiction). 

My challenge to you is to change some of the dialogue attributed to Jesus in that piece so that it would make more sense out of your religion/beliefs?  Socrates shows emphatically that the christian religion is a complete hoax - how would you, a devout christian, answer any of the questions that Socrates poses to better express or elucidate the meaning of the christian cosmic view?  Can you answer just one of those questions any better?

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 12 April 2005 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

The day Socrates can outwit, out talk, out think God, that is the day I’ll eat my hat. Capice?

Sheez, Paul would have pinned him to the mat intellectually, gently I might add. The whole premise of that website was laughable…..

Posted: 13 April 2005 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I remember on day I was talking to a pastor at a church I was attending (or going through the motions at). We were having an argument about the existence of god. Besides the fact the he flat out denied evolution, and explained the existence of dinosaurs as a chapter missing from the bible, he had a rather peculiar answer for on thing in particular. When he asked me weather I believed in God, I said yes, in a sense that something can’t come from nothing. I then proceeded to mention something that plato or socrates might have once concluded, and before I could say any more, he jumped, turned red, and laughed in my face saying, “Plato and Socrates weren’t saved!”  raspberry So I just kind of rolled my eyes at myself and thought of a way politely excuse myself from this person. That incident always begged the question; Was he implying that one has to be saved to have any valid opinion whatsoever? Was he saying that even if someone is speaking the truth, unless they are saved, then what they’re saying is worthless? Or just what was he saying?

Posted: 13 April 2005 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Man often fails, mankind is not perfect. Go to the Word of God yourself and investigate the answers.

Posted: 13 April 2005 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02
[quote author=“TheChampion”]Man often fails, mankind is not perfect. Go to the Word of God yourself and investigate the answers.

What about mankinds interpretations of the bible, or even the authors/translators of the bible, could they be imperfect as well?

Posted: 14 April 2005 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-23

Was [the pastor] implying that one has to be saved to have any valid opinion whatsoever?

Fencesitter, your instincts were correctly informing you. This is typical of fundamentalist thought process.

When [the pastor] asked me weather I believed in God, I said yes, in a sense that something can’t come from nothing.

This dillemma ties in to Intelligent Design theory. What came before the universe got created? God. But what came before God? God. And before . . . .

I.D. provides exactly the same answer to scientifically posed problems that seem to have no answer. It amounts to a mental block, but an entirely understandable one.

Dave

Posted: 17 May 2005 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

MALACHI 2:3 “Behold I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung on your faces.”

Posted: 17 May 2005 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Sorry.  that’s the sound of rational person trying to discuss anything reasonable with any fundamentalist/Right-Winger (here played by Champ).

Stay tuned for “THUMP!  THUMP!”
That’s the sound of banging one’s head against a wall.

Posted: 18 May 2005 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

yep, champ is really not “normal”, but at least “he” is identifiable

however, why not become someone identifiable, Mr. or Mrs. “guest”? - that way we don’t need to figure out which “guest” your threads pertain to

Fran Lorin

Posted: 23 May 2005 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  707
Joined  2005-05-16

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/talkingsnake.html

Posted: 23 May 2005 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1453
Joined  2005-01-22

Just reading the blurb was enough to turn one’s stomach, it must be a good read. The idea of Adam and Eve having to copulate with their children and grandchildren and every other combination of incest possible gives the command to “populate the Earth” an erie sort of immorality.  God’s plans are so neat, aren’t they?

Bob

Signature 

It’s definitely a moon! . . . and now it’s become a sunflower!

Posted: 23 May 2005 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

yep, CanZen, this society is quite crazy…

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed