1 of 9
god/energy
Posted: 14 April 2005 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

As far as we know, the only thing that exists that can neither be created nor destroyed is energy. Could God simply be energy? Sure, He may be the "light", a form of pure energy, but could He be energy (period).

Posted: 14 April 2005 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

I dunno, but I usually call that . . . energy.

Eh?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 14 April 2005 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“SkepticX”]I dunno, but I usually call that . . . energy.

Eh?

Byron

Perhaps we should call it God

Posted: 14 April 2005 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

‘Scuse me while I plug my laptop into the wall plug to connect with God. 

My battery God seems to be running down .....seems to be pretty un-God-like to me! ;>)

Maybe God is just a super “energizer bunny”?

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 14 April 2005 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

nuff said

Posted: 14 April 2005 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

While spending your time atop the fence, wavering in your faith to and fro, you asked the question, What is God? I found something that might help you. This may be of use to you if you so desire to know what Christianity says about who God is:

Q: What is God?
A: God is a Spirit,1 infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being,2 wisdom,3 power,4 holiness,5 justice,6 goodness,7 and truth.8

1) John 4:24. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
2) Psalm 90:2. From everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
- Malachi 3:6. For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore are ye sons of Jacob not consumed.
- James 1:17. The Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
- 1 Kings 8:27. But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?
- Jeremiah 23:24. Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? Saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? Saith the Lord.
- Isaiah 40:22. It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in.
3) Psalm 147:5. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
- Romans 16:27. To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
4) Genesis 17:1. And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
- Revelation 19:6. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
5) Isaiah 57:15. For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
- John 17:11. And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
- Revelation 4:8. And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they werefull of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
6) Deuteronomy 32:4. He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
7) Psalm 100:5. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
- Romans 2:4. Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
8) Exodus 34:6. And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth.
- Psalm 117:2. For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the Lord endureth for ever. Praise ye the Lord.

Posted: 14 April 2005 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Champ, dude, I’ve already been told all that. We could go over every passage in the bible, word for word, syllable for syllable, letter for letter, over and over. It will not make me believe, nor will it make me accept Jesus as my personal saviour. I just do not have the flock mentality.

Posted: 14 April 2005 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2005-02-28
[quote author=“fencesitter”]As far as we know, the only thing that exists that can neither be created nor destroyed is energy. Could God simply be energy? Sure, He may be the “light”, a form of pure energy, but could He be energy (period).

The folks in Nagasaki and Hiroshima would probably disagree with that.

E=mc^2

How can you destroy matter without creating energy?

Maybe God is mater and energy. Or maybe the equality?

Posted: 14 April 2005 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

How can you destroy matter without creating energy?

You can’t. Isn’t matter potential energy? Destroying the matter releases the energy, hence it it neither created no destroyed, just transformed from one form to another. So it stands, energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but it can both create and destroy, kinda like God. Just thought it was an interesting analogy.

Posted: 14 April 2005 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Why stay on the fence? Go your way and sin to your hearts content. Or, is there something in the back of your mind that keeps you on the fence? Conviction maybe?

Posted: 14 April 2005 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Why stay on the fence? Go your way and sin to your hearts content. Or, is there something in the back of your mind that keeps you on the fence? Conviction maybe?

Champ, I’m not on the fence that separates Christianity and, oh I dunno, Heathenicity. I’m on the fence that separates all possible explanations as to why we are here. I have no convictions, and since I don’t believe in the Christian God, sin does not exist as it is a product of the Christian God. In fact at the moment I’m leaning towards the God=Energy theory.

Posted: 14 April 2005 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-01-27

Fencesitter wrote:

I’m on the fence that separates all possible explanations as to why we are here. I have no convictions, and since I don’t believe in the Christian God, sin does not exist as it is a product of the Christian God. In fact at the moment I’m leaning towards the God=Energy theory.

I agree with you on two counts here.

1.  That sin does not exist
2.  God might be partly described as energy

Sin doesn’t exist for me because I see every human interaction as a question of cause and effect.  I see that we make either healthy/constructive choices when we are adequately and properly prepared or we make unhealthy/destructive choices when we are lacking proper nourishment (physical, mental, spiritual).  For me, what others might call sin, is more a sign that whoever made the destructive choice is sorely missing the proper input (such as the right information, right food, enough sleep, enough love, the list goes on ...) to have made the constructive choice, or conversely, has received too much harmful input (neglect or abuse of any kind.)  Your upbringing, all that went into making you the person you are today, would be the cause and now you’re running around effecting the world as a reflection of that upbringing, either to the betterment or detriment of society.  Much too simple to label bad decisions or bad behaviour as sinful.  Takes out all the gray and colours life black and white. 

As for God = energy, that makes more sense than the definitions religion provides for us as there is evidence atleast that energy is seemingly infinite.  At this point, I organize my thoughts around the idea that God could be a creative force that demands respect, in the same way gravity does, and if you are truly working towards something constructive - repairing a relationship, working through a tragedy, working towards whirled peas - then that creative force will support your efforts.  If you are off on a tangent and your line of thought is headed for destruction, you will experience pain and suffering, not as punishment but as a sign that you or something about your situation is way off track. 

I don’t know how much sense this idea makes, but I find I don’t need it to be the Truth because it still works to provide a non-judgemental way of viewing the world.  Makes me see that we’re all just doing the best we can with what we’ve been given/taught so far and, if you’ve been given enough love to have some level of concern for your fellow man, you’ll be trying to figure out whichever are your lessons in life for everyone’s benefit.

Amen.  smile 

Susan

Signature 

“Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it.”  Andre Gide

Posted: 14 April 2005 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2005-02-23

. . . since I don’t believe in the Christian God, sin does not exist as it is a product of the Christian God. In fact at the moment I’m leaning towards the God=Energy theory.

Champion, Fencesitter seems to be trying to tell you that your efforts have so far convinced him of the opposite of what you preach.

How old are you, Champion? For how many years have you contemplated reality? What have youy read? At the age of 49, I only wish I had your confidence. I promise not to mock your answer.

Dave

Posted: 14 April 2005 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

I guess the fencesitter will take his/her time making up their mind. No problem with that, no rush. I’m just planting seeds.

I am in my mid 40’s, a WASP, have attended no less than 6 colleges and universities, that I can remember (who’s counting anyway). I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to major in. Settled on the ministry (had preacher’s itch..), switched to business administration, switched to English, switched to Computer Science, then back to English. Enjoyed every minute of school, wish it didn’t have to end, but had to get a job and get in the real world.

I like to think I am well rounded socially, mentally, spiritually, and physically. I lead a simple life. I am well grounded in the word of God, but I have many atheist and agnostic friends. The older I get the more firmly I believe in my Christianity. I guess you could say that in my life I have been on the mountaintop and have also been in the lowests valleys. Lost close personal friends to a motorcycle accident, cancer, car accidents, and other situations. Something like that shakes you to your core. You have to really think about what you believe, how you will act on it, and what you will say when you face your maker.

Additionally, I would have to say I have been accused many times of being aloof, arrogant, and haughty, but at the same time, the flip side of the coin is that most would accuse me of being a pushover, too nice for my own good, a true friend, very likable, somebody who is on everybodies list of friends. So I am difficult to read and depends on my mood. God has a lot of work still left to do with me.

My heros are John Wayne, President Bush, General George Patton, Phil Jackson, John Elway, Shaun Hannity, George Stephanopoulos (too bad we couldn’t get him to swith parties), and an unknown named Keith Green, to name a few.

Most important in my life has been the cultivation of the belief in the gospel of Christ. Raised Catholic in Chicago. I was on a ranch in Colorado that my folks had purchased when I woke up early one morn. There was an open bible laying on the table. I began to read and got consumed with it. Actually reading it was different as I had only done cursory readings in Church. From that point on, having first hand information, life would be different. Though I have pushed it all away, one time for a 14 year period, it never leaves you. God faithfully continues to draw you to himself, and that is the story of my life. Though I have wishy washy time and time again, he is faithful to restore my soul. Now I count on it.

Well, enough personal information. Let the mocking begin….

Posted: 14 April 2005 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

If god=energy, then we can redo Einstein’s equation:

God=MC^2

Now, that makes a lot of sense. It explains how god is omnipotent (he is all matter) and omnipresent (he travels at the speed of light). The third law of thermodynamics explains his eternal life. Hell is clearly nothing more than a black hole, devoid of energy.

Jeez, that was simple. We’ve just developed a unified theory of physics and religion in one easy step. I think I’ll start a new religion…

Posted: 15 April 2005 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

My point is that there’s absolutely no viable reason to simply slap the term “god” onto something we have a perfectly good term for already. That only muddles things up.

Why not reapply the term to happiness? power? life? the cosmos? (that would be the best candidate I can think of) BF Goodrich tires (they make some excellent tires, after all)? your favorite food? “God” isn’t a magic word that’ll change something into something different.

When you look under the surface at the motivations for the “God By Means of Redefinition Plan” I think it’s pretty obviously pointless, and as I pointed out it’s problematic in any case.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

1 of 9

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed