3 of 3
On the Term Brights
Posted: 31 December 2006 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2006-03-23

[quote author=“Sander”]JC as a Borg.

Nerd mode: on :oops:

Yeah.  But only after an hour on the haladeck with 7of 9.  Resistance is fertile.

Nerd mode: off   :D

Posted: 31 December 2006 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“Sander”]I saw a cartoon of JC as a Borg.
The only term I can come up with for us would be The Unassimilated.

LOVE that one, and it might actually get those long-suffering Christians to crack a smile :D.

Label-wise, I am even reluctant to use ‘humanist’ lately—it isn’t inclusive enough. Maybe I’ll try on Counselor Troi’s label for awhile, and go with ‘Empath’ wink.

Signature 

Welcome to Planet Earth, where Belief masquerades as Knowledge!

This way to the Unasked Questions—->
<—- This way to the Unquestioned Answers

Posted: 01 January 2007 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2006-11-03

Has anyone here checked out the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Adherents are called ‘Pastafarians’  and they are sometimes ‘touched by His noodly appendage’ if they are sufficiently spiritual.  I believe they dress in pirate garb when celebrating.  Wouldn’t it be nice if all religions had a sense of humor and didn’t take themselves so seriously? I have decided, given the choice between fear and fun, I’m going for fun. 
And I do love pasta.
World without end, Ramen.

Posted: 01 January 2007 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

Pasta is good. . . but is there maybe a lower carb religious option available?

Seems to me that TFSM could only be considered a benevolent deity if he did everything in his power to eliminate suffering—MY suffering—like on the cardio machines.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2007 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

Mia—
    I know, right?!  If only carbs made you buff instead of chubby—I would be totally buff.  And not at all….well… what I am!  But hey, in my interpretation of the scriptures, FSM loves a wench with beaudacious curves! 
    That being said, tomorrow, I resume my love/hate relationship with the various WFDs (weapons of fat destruction) at Planet Fitness.  Another year, another cycle…  life is good…. bon appetit…

Posted: 01 January 2007 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2006-11-10

[quote author=“woofy”]Mia—
    I know, right?!  If only carbs made you buff instead of chubby—I would be totally buff.  And not at all….well… what I am!  But hey, in my interpretation of the scriptures, FSM loves a wench with beaudacious curves! 
    That being said, tomorrow, I resume my love/hate relationship with the various WFDs (weapons of fat destruction) at Planet Fitness.  Another year, another cycle…  life is good…. bon appetit…

Oh boy, giving diet tips is a tricky thing, especially when you are a skinny guy like me, but perhaps this is of some use to you.
I am sure you’ve heard of the ‘French dilemma’, i.e. French people eat rich foods but they don’t have serious weight problems.
Some genius studied his phenomenon and their conclusion was: (surprise, surprise) French people eat less than we do.

I travel to France on business regularly and my French colleagues told me something that amazed me.
They cherish their food and have no guilt associated with eating. Half their culture is based on cooking and eating (and drinking).
To them eating is something to be celebrated and they (usually) don’t finish their plate
Their motto seems to be:  Love food, don’t battle with it.

Perhaps related, I remember someone saying that people should elevate their addictions to the status of preference. (And what is a more primary addiction than food.)

So sayeth the thin one who hath no business commenting on this psot.  :D

PS Suggested reading: French girls don’t get fat.

Signature 

“You know I’m born to lose, and gambling is for fools.
But that’s the way I like it baby, I don’t want to live forever.”

From the autobiography of A.A.Mills, ‘The passage of time, according to an estranged, casual tyrant.’

Posted: 01 January 2007 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-15

[quote author=“Sander”]
So sayeth the thin one who hath no business commenting on this psot.  :D

PS Suggested reading: French girls don’t get fat.

Sander. . . kindly step away from the keyboard, and woofy and I will refrain from pummeling you :D.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2007 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2006-12-14

Thirty years ago, would you tell a homosexual that it was stupid and arrogant to call themselves “gay” as it would imply they are happier than other people?

Posted: 01 January 2007 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-11-03

—>  (giving Sander 20 lashes with wet carb-loaded noodle…)

Actually, I will listen to diet advice from any and all.  It is an on-going struggle with me, although this past year has been pretty successful.  I have lost 50 lbs., am getting ever closer to a reasonable and healthy weight.  After being fit and athletic most of my life, the last 6 or 8 years were a death spiral of bad food (sugar, salt, fat, carbs… the four basic food groups?) and overeating.  I do love food.  Knowing when to say when is an art that the French have mastered but I am still working on.  And just to add some petty jealousy… damn those skinny French women and their rich delicious foods and wines.  They can kiss my big fat American ass!  And plus, they smoke like chimneys.  (or “comme des pompiers” if I remember my seventh grade French properly)  But yeah… grudgingly I must admit (and I read the book for about 15 minutes in the bookstore before I put it down in a fit of petty jealousy) (see above)—French women generally don’t get fat, and do eat great food, and walk alot (which is excellent quality of life advice).  But they smoke like chimneys! 
    Okay—clearly I cannot get past the petty jealousy thing.

To address the topic of this thread—which, I don’t think I have yet—I don’t like the term Brights because, like other denominations, it tends to divide, and isolate and create a notion of “chosen ones.”
    We’re all chosen ones, aren’t we?  Isn’t that what natural selection does?  It selects.  It chooses. 
    Wait…. I feel a quote from the Desiderata bubbling up…. yes… wait for it….
    Okay, here it is…who remembers? 

You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here.  And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should…..

I am not a Bright.  I am a Child of the Universe.  I am also a Red Sox fan, a Leo, a college graduate, a stay-at-home mom, an Acura driver, a pasta eater, a hockey player, a coffee drinker, a crossword puzzle fan…I am many things.  We are all many things.  And—tip of the hat to Dr. Bronner—we are all one.

Posted: 02 January 2007 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-12-17
[quote author=“B.Dewhirst”]Thirty years ago, would you tell a homosexual that it was stupid and arrogant to call themselves “gay” as it would imply they are happier than other people?

Yeah, probably I would have, and even if I were gay - which I’m not - not that there is anything wrong with that.

But using a word that implies one is happier than others is less of an insult than using a word that implies one is smarter or more intelligent than others. 

Let’s say you were at a social gathering and at one point Bill announced to the crowd “I think I am generally happier than most if not all other people” and a few minutes later Ted was heard to remark “I think I am smarter than other people.”.

I think you and most people would react to Bill’s statement with amusement and wonder and even curiosity, but would probably suspect Ted of being an elitist snob at best and an a-hole narcissist at worst.

The word “gay” is used by so many people now in a flippant manner, as in “That is so Totally gay!” that it is not even considered politically incorrect except by a tiny minority of the majority “straights”.  So, the word “gay” is infinitely better than queer or fag, sure, but it’s basic use turned out to be a less clinical word for the news media to use instead of “homosexual”.  I doubt it really helped to make gay people more socially acceptable - straights are generally either bigots or they’re not.

Any which way you cut it the word “Bright” is a propaganda nightmare.  It is seen and will be seen by the majority of both atheists and non-atheists as self-aggrandizing intellectual snobbery.  It is the proverbial load of fresh manure that can never be made to smell pleasant, or even acceptable, no matter what amount of perfume you pour on it.

Other than that, I have no problem with the label “Bright”.  LOL

Posted: 03 January 2007 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2006-12-14
[quote author=“JGL57”][quote author=“B.Dewhirst”]Thirty years ago, would you tell a homosexual that it was stupid and arrogant to call themselves “gay” as it would imply they are happier than other people?

Yeah, probably I would have, and even if I were gay - which I’m not - not that there is anything wrong with that.

But using a word that implies one is happier than others is less of an insult than using a word that implies one is smarter or more intelligent than others. 

The word “gay” is used by so many people now in a flippant manner, as in “That is so Totally gay!” that it is not even considered politically incorrect except by a tiny minority of the majority “straights”.  So, the word “gay” is infinitely better than queer or fag, sure, but it’s basic use turned out to be a less clinical word for the news media to use instead of “homosexual”.  I doubt it really helped to make gay people more socially acceptable - straights are generally either bigots or they’re not.

Other than that, I have no problem with the label “Bright”.  LOL

I’m not a Bright, not that there is anything wrong with that.

The purposes of their movement towards that label, however, are much the same. The -goal- is for the title ‘Bright’ to be tossed around roughly as casually as ‘gay’ in 30 years or so. It would certainly be an improvement on the position of atheists within American society.

I do think Brights would be served by expanding upon Dennet’s suggestion… they should call non-Bright non-freethinkers “Supers”

For Bright to be successful as a term to describe a group of people, Super must be successful as well.

Posted: 03 January 2007 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“bluejway”]As a theist, holding on for dear life to my out-dated, irrational, ignorant, immoral, and asinine beliefs, at least I don’t call myself something tacky and garish as the term “brights.” 

http://www.the-brights.net/

Garish is a good way to describe it.  We’re the bright ones!  We are the intelligent and quick-witted ones!  Good for you.  I’m glad that you are so impressed with yourselves and your ideas.

But I had better be more obsequious (oblong and non-clairvoyant) when I relate to you.  After all you are destined to take over the world and put us theists in the cultural zoos where we belong!

Long live the Brights—the Saviors of Humanity!

I can’t say I disagree with anything you said there. The “taking over the world” bit may be pretty seriously naive, or at the least rather optimistic, but aside from that ...

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 03 January 2007 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23
[quote author=“B.Dewhirst”]Thirty years ago, would you tell a homosexual that it was stupid and arrogant to call themselves “gay” as it would imply they are happier than other people?

But “gay” has a long history and was somewhat pejorative to begin with.  Gay men did sort of choose it but it was already associated with frivolous immoral sexual behavior (e.g. in the 19th century “the gay life” was a euphemism for prostitution).

I don’t think we can force the chosen word “bright” onto a theistic population.  I think it’s a better strategy to take over a word they’ve already applied to us in a negative way, like “queer” or “bitch” or “black”.  Perhaps “humanist”?  “Godless”?

Personally I like Unassimilated, but again I don’t think it will catch on.  We need to capture one of their words.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 03 January 2007 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-12-17
[quote author=“made_maka”]...Personally I like Unassimilated, but again I don’t think it will catch on.  We need to capture one of their words.

And then there were two. 

Don’t be so pessimistic.  Let’s see if we can convince a third person before we assume it won’t “catch on”.  Then maybe a fourth, then a fifth.

If we can get a sixth person to agree to use The Unassimilated as a preferred self-label, then I think we’ll have a “movement”.  Then we can recruit a seventh, and so forth.

Who can say for sure - in thirty years The Unassimilated may be kicking the *sses of both the Brights AND the Theists.  :D

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed