Contempt for religion costs Democrats more than votes
Posted: 14 April 2005 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

A review by Mike Gecan of the Boston Review:

http://bostonreview.net/BR30.2/gecan.html

Is this guy something or what???? Who is this guy???

"On the most basic level, the contempt of the progressive elite for ordinary people—for their faiths, their speech patterns, their clothes, their hobbies, their hopes, and their aspirations—has driven scores of millions of Americans out of the Democratic Party and into either the Republican Party or a no man’s land between the two. The willingness of many Republicans to simply show respect for the habits and interests of these mixed and moderate Americans has paid growing political dividends. The Republicans have understood that communicating respect is more important than offering programs or incentives. The Democrats have failed to realize that multiplying programs or policies designed to meet people’s needs is doomed to fail unless and until those people sense a fundamental level of recognition of who they are, not just what they need. The medium may not be the message. But a medium of respect and recognition is what makes the reception of the message possible."

Posted: 15 April 2005 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2005-02-24

I hope you don’t believe for a minute that the Republican party has any kind of respect for the American people! This is a cynical bunch of politicians with a hidden agenda that has spent zillions on research to determine exactly which buttons to push to get the public to react the way they want. They know exactly how to pander to our worst emotions; hate, fear, bigotry, and greed. The sad truth is they’ve made the public become as corrupt as they are.

Now, how would I know that? My father-in-law was assistant secretary of the army. Because of that, the assumption was always that I was on their side, I’ve been included in plenty of discussions that wouldn’t otherwise be public, from cocktail party “chatter” to lunches at the Pentagon. Somehow I managed to never throw up!

Posted: 15 April 2005 02:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

This is a cynical bunch of politicians with a hidden agenda that has spent zillions on research to determine exactly which buttons to push to get the public to react the way they want.

Yes, Champ, one word, STRATEGY. Never trust in anything a politician has to say, anytime, anywhere. One might say, “in that case who would even bother voting?” People just have to end up voting for the asshole they like best, as there are no others.

Posted: 15 April 2005 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Thank you for editing the inappropriate word that I posted above. I should have known better.

Posted: 15 April 2005 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2005-02-28

Hey Champ,

In light of a push by GWB to repeal the Estate Tax for those estates with assets over $7 million, do you find the below an effective counter to the government’s guarantee to safeguard the wealthy?

====
[Jesus said] “A new commandment I give unto you: That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love on another.” This was the pith and core of all his pleading, all his preaching, and all his teaching - love on another, be brethren, make common cause, stand together, ye who labor to enrich the parasites and are yourselves in chains, and ye shall be free!

These words were addressed by Jesus not to the money-changers, the scribes and the Pharisees, the rich and respectable, but to the ragged undesirables of his own enslaved and suffering class.

He himself had no fixed abode and like the wretched, motley throng to whom he preached and poured out his great and loving heart, he was a poor wanderer on the face of the earth and “had not where to lay his head.”

“The economic basis of Jesus’ doctrine of brotherhood and love is clearly demonstrated in the fact that under his leadership and teaching all his disciples ‘sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need,’ and that they ‘had all things in common’.
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart.”

========

Bonus points if you can name the author without use of Google.

Posted: 15 April 2005 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  754
Joined  2005-01-03

[quote author=“MJ”]I hope you don’t believe for a minute that the Republican party has any kind of respect for the American people! This is a cynical bunch of politicians with a hidden agenda that has spent zillions on research to determine exactly which buttons to push to get the public to react the way they want. They know exactly how to pander to our worst emotions; hate, fear, bigotry, and greed. The sad truth is they’ve made the public become as corrupt as they are.

Do you believe for a minute that the Democrats are any better?

Both parties shamelessly pander to the “emotions of hate, fear, bigotry and greed” of the specific voting blocks that they want to attract.

In recent times, the Republicans have been just barely enough better at it than the Democrats to win.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful…..Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Roman (3 BC - 65 AD)

Posted: 15 April 2005 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-02-28

Let’s say an alien came to our planet just to observe the ACTIONS of our leaders. Now, this alien could not understand our language. She could only observe the ACTIONS of our leaders.

Do you think this alien would believe GWB represented the greatest example of a world leader committed to the teachings of Jesus?

Exactly what ACTIONS would balance out that war business?

Posted: 15 April 2005 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2005-02-28

[quote author=“Conservative Atheist”]

Both parties shamelessly pander to the “emotions of hate, fear, bigotry and greed” of the specific voting blocks that they want to attract.

In recent times, the Republicans have been just barely enough better at it than the Democrats to win.

I must bow to the esteemed CA.

The Republican Party has completely lost its moorings when it has difficulty throwing its complete support behind CAFTA, but can get the Terri Schiavo bill passed in 24 hours.

What a joke.

Posted: 17 April 2005 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2005-02-28

[quote author=“Conservative Atheist”]
Do you believe for a minute that the Democrats are any better?

Yes I do believe the democratic party is better.  Less corrupt, perhaps not, but better?  Undoubtedly.  The dems are concerned about the MOST important issues: Global warming (or respect for the environmnent in general), separation of church and state, and calming the global anger and fear we have created by our fruitless invasion of Iraq.  The neocons have corrupted the core issues of the republican party, it’s time everyone owned up to this and voted these assholes out of office.

Posted: 17 April 2005 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

The neocons have corrupted the core issues of the republican party, it’s time everyone owned up to this and voted these assholes out of office.

a**h***s????  Where’s the moderator?

Posted: 18 April 2005 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-04-12

Where’s the moderator?

The fellows occupation is ‘spreading the good word’. wink

As an atheist who is a conservative (a rarity, I understand) I believe more of the things the Conserative party believes in, on balance, than the Democrats. But I personally do not believe either party is ‘better’ than the other, aside from what they stand for.

Posted: 18 April 2005 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

This quote comes to mind:

“No matter how lavishly overpaid, civil servants everywhere are convinced they are horribly underpaid-but all public employees have larceny in their hearts or they wouldn’t be feeding at the public trough.”
—Robert Heinlein

Posted: 24 April 2005 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Politics is usually just one big auction and little else. They
pander to those they know that they need to in order to maintain
their own power and the party’s. They then “sell” to the highest
bidder/s (those with the most power and influence). The rest
are for the most part,ignored despite all the sentimental horse-
hockey they dump profusely.This is why many issues of “social/enviro/
economic” justice never really get the attention from the democrats
that they should. For all their lofty talk,most wine and cheese liberals-of-
influence, like the marin county/hollywood set only really give a half-hearted hoot at best. The ones that are more genuine have limited influence,thus we see limited results. If all the religious folk/organizations
were poor,marginalized and uninfluential, you would see mostly the same
thing from the republicans.Like it or not,selfish motivations are pretty much at the heart of everything humans do. Morality,unconditional love and all that sauce, play scant roles in human affairs,if any at all. I don’t
like it anymore than anyone else,but I did’nt make the rules and my power to change them is limited,at best.

Posted: 03 May 2005 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-02-17

The ‘Patriotic’ Beliefs of George W. Bush

• Iraq has weapons of mass destruction
• Iraq is an imminent threat
• The United States should NOT involve itself in nation building
• Withdrawing American support for the following will not negatively effect the United States ability to function as a World Leader
  o the Climate Change Treaty
  o the International Court for war criminals
  o the ABM treaty
  o the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
  o the United Nations
• Iraq will be a democracy (NOT a Muslim Theocracy)
• Global warming isn’t a crisis to be taken seriously
• Social Security is a crisis
• The United States will have a operational ABM System this year
• Fiscal conservatism means lower taxes rates – period (and W is one).
• Trade deficits and a weakening dollar will not have negative consequences
• Drilling for Oil in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge reserve is sound energy policy and will have no environmental consequences and will help the economy.
• Conservation and real alternative fuel initiatives are not sound energy policy.
• Similarly, developing a clean fuel alternative does not present an opportunity to create a real industry that the U.S. any interest in leading.
• Affirmative action for the disadvantaged is unfair (and not ultimately good for society)
• However, affirmative action for the “fortunate son” types (like W himself) is not unfair (and is ultimately good for society)
• The potential benefits of stem cell research are not worthy of adequate funding and provisioning of resources
• Stem cell research is immoral (murder) because it destroys artificially created ‘embryo’ in a petri dish
• In vitro fertilization clinics that routinely create and dispose of these unneeded early-stage embryos by the thousands are a topic to be avoided.
• A Constitutional amendment to ban marriage between same-sex couples is necessary
• The Easter Bunny and Santa are the only true religious holiday heroes besides Jesus.
• Literal belief in Biblical prophesies and stories is a requirement of faith and is more important than symbolic significance
• It doesn’t matter what I do because my religious friends who believe in God, are fervent about Jesus—but not his teachings, and wholly blind to the machinations of Satan will always support me.

Posted: 04 May 2005 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-02

Apparently, “contempt for religion” is worse than contempt for actual people.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed