Media Coverage
Posted: 15 April 2005 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-04-15

New to this forum and on my second (rarely do I ever read a book twice) reading of the book. I am very upset with NPR at this moment. The pope coverage was extreme enough (an iterview in from the Vatican stated the history of the church as being 300 years old?) in it's coverage.

This morning, however, was the lowest of lows. They are "resurecting" a 1950's radio show called "This I Believe". It's apparently a chance for Americans to "talk to each other". You can bet what the major topic of "discussions" will be.  The 50's! Please! What a regressive time in America if you were non-white, non-male, non-America born, and in any other way different!

Please send them your essays at npr.org. Especially if you are a free thinker and as angry as I am about the dangers we face due to the world views most American hold, unquestioningly.

Thanks,

Posted: 15 April 2005 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-04-15

FYI: Here is what I posted to the NPR program:

My parents raised us to be free thinkers. We were encouraged to attend churches with friends, if we wanted to. My own convictions were set after attending a church teen lecture. The speaker said “You are like wild horses, of no use to god until you are broken and made pliant in his eyes”. Not a wise thing to say to a teenager, even a believer, I thought. Further reading proved that all religions are all about control of the human spirit and an inhumane way to live a life.

Writing this was very difficult due to the word limitation. I have such anger at the usurping of the Constitution by religious factions in America, it’s hard to limit myself. I was recently asked how I could exist without god. I have to question, how do you exist with him? These are dangerous times, made dangerous by the irrational belief that “my book is the only, true and right book”. We are still killing each other over them. We can destroy ourselves over them. Religion is the only area of human endeavor not open to scrutiny. Until we can challenge, question and hold accountable to reason our governments, we are at risk of destroying ourselves as never before in human history.

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed