1 of 4
Ten books Sam Harris recommends
Posted: 08 December 2006 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-10

I found it interesting that Sam included a list of books. Is this list for the atheist or the Christian? His list inspired me to read The God Delusion and Atheism: The Cae Against God. The only book on his list that I had already read was Why I am Not a Christian.

Posted: 08 December 2006 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-06-01
[quote author=“dcorson”]I found it interesting that Sam included a list of books. Is this list for the atheist or the Christian? His list inspired me to read The God Delusion and Atheism: The Cae Against God. The only book on his list that I had already read was Why I am Not a Christian.

Presumably it is a list for all readers, whatever their creed…

Signature 

Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, and a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me… Who notices?
-Vincent

Posted: 08 December 2006 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-10-13
[quote author=“dcorson”]I found it interesting that Sam included a list of books. Is this list for the atheist or the Christian? His list inspired me to read The God Delusion and Atheism: The Cae Against God. The only book on his list that I had already read was Why I am Not a Christian.

Another book on his list was Susan Jacoby’s Freethinkers. Everyone should read it, whatever their creed.

Posted: 11 December 2006 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-09-18

Yeah I’m getting most of the books for the holidays.

Posted: 12 December 2006 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-11-03

If you have not already, read, The Intelligent Persons Guide to Atheism, despite the arrogant title, the book has a great central thesis.  The writing can be a bit stuffy and convoluted, but dig through that for the great ideas.

There are also some good Atheist books put out by independent press publishers.  Philosophy of Atheism, by Kai Nielsen, and Atheism: A Reader, edited by ST Joshi, are filled with great information.  The Nielsen book is philosophically heavy, so familiarize yourself with some concepts if you are unfamiliar with some of the ideas in the writing.

Posted: 13 December 2006 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-18

Thanks, I’ll probably check some of those out with the gift cards I get for Christmas.

Posted: 17 December 2006 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2006-12-17

I read “Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds” years ago and remember it to be quite amusing, enlightening, and scary - regarding how much people and sheep are similar.

Also, again many years ago, I read “Atheism: The Case Against God”.  Quite a good book, though somewhat pedantic.  My only objection to it is that the author, George Smith is into Ayn Rand objectavism.  That crap gives me the creeps, just like Marxism. LOL.

And, of course, Bertrand Russell’s “Why I Am Not a Christian” is a classic and a very easy read.

Posted: 29 December 2006 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-18

So I got Atheism:  The Case Against God and Freethinkers:  A History of American Secularism.  I already had Breaking the Spell, The God Delusion, and Why I Am Not a Christian.  I still want to get Misquoting Jesus, and maybe some of the others.

Plus I’m going to check out the other books you guys recommended.  Thanks for the tips.

Posted: 30 December 2006 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-06-10

There is also Natural Atheism by David Eller. I plan to read it right after the holidays.

Posted: 07 January 2007 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-18

yannickt, thanks.  I’ll check that one out too.

Posted: 07 January 2007 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-01-06

If you need books to convince yourself of gods non-existence, then you’re not really living, i use my eyes to see, and i use my ears to hear, and use my nose to smell, and all of my senses report the twisted wreakage, the painful screams, and the pungeant stench of a society on the edge of obilivian, proverbially drinking themselves to death with illogic.

Get a logic book, get a math book, learn to speak spainish, play magic, but you don’t need to read atheist books. Just observe the natural world.

Posted: 15 January 2007 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-18

PPT, I don’t need to read them.  I’m already an expert on the subject.  I just like reading them.

Posted: 15 January 2007 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“PURE,POWERFUL,THINKER”]If you need books to convince yourself of gods non-existence, then you’re not really living, i use my eyes to see, and i use my ears to hear, and use my nose to smell, and all of my senses report the twisted wreakage, the painful screams, and the pungeant stench of a society on the edge of obilivian, proverbially drinking themselves to death with illogic.

Get a logic book, get a math book, learn to speak spainish, play magic, but you don’t need to read atheist books. Just observe the natural world.

I agree with the “get a logic book” part.  I’ve just ordered Origin of the Species, and am enrolled in my 1st anthropology course.  But please understand that it was due to my reading of atheist books that my fascination with science has emerged.  Everything you “sense” resonates with me.  On some level, I was always an atheist, but it did take reading Dawkins and Harris to really open my eyes fully, to “activiate” my brain.  And what a powerful activiation!  It’s true that I’m learning how sad a shape our culture is in due to it’s ludicrous skygod religions and their all-too-potent effect on my world.  But I’m also learning about many sciences and philosophies.  Just a great way to get into a subject area about which I know relatively little, and a great way to learn to be a critical thinker (a skill in which I’m sorely lacking).

Funny, the analogy works in so many ways.  For me, reading books on atheism gave me some sort of solid foundation on which to tread - a toolkit of sorts, maybe.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 15 January 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“PURE,POWERFUL,THINKER”]If you need books to convince yourself of gods non-existence, then you’re not really living, i use my eyes to see, and i use my ears to hear, and use my nose to smell, and all of my senses report the twisted wreakage, the painful screams, and the pungeant stench of a society on the edge of obilivian, proverbially drinking themselves to death with illogic.

Where did that pungent stench of a society on the edge of oblivion come from?  My guess would be the ‘60s.  How about you?

And while we are on the book subject, do any of you try reading books that actually make a strong, logical case for creation by design?  There are many of them out there, but I am sure I will get the generic, “lame,” or “intelligence and creation shouldn’t even collide in the same sentence” regurgitation. 

I have read Dawkins “The Blind Watchmaker,”  and “The God Delusion” as well as Sam Harris’ “The End of Faith” and “A Letter to a Christian Nation.”  So, my question is, do you allow yourselves to be open-minded enough to actually read a book on intelligent design? 

I say this so as to not sound hypocritical, having read these books on atheism.

Posted: 15 January 2007 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]And while we are on the book subject, do any of you try reading books that actually make a strong, logical case for creation by design?  There are many of them out there, but I am sure I will get the generic, “lame,” or “intelligence and creation shouldn’t even collide in the same sentence” regurgitation. 

If I thought they were making an argument I hadn’t heard before, I might consider it. Any recommendations?

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]I have read Dawkins “The Blind Watchmaker,”  and “The God Delusion” as well as Sam Harris’ “The End of Faith” and “A Letter to a Christian Nation.”  So, my question is, do you allow yourselves to be open-minded enough to actually read a book on intelligent design? 

I say this so as to not sound hypocritical, having read these books on atheism.

Since you like reading, how many different versions of the Bible have you read? I would like to know which one is 100% accurate as you claimed a few days ago.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 15 January 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2006-03-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]I have read Dawkins “The Blind Watchmaker,”  and “The God Delusion” as well as Sam Harris’ “The End of Faith” and “A Letter to a Christian Nation.”

And after careful deliberation you concluded that the real story is the universe was created by a single entity who raped a 13 year old virgin which produced a human son who was then brutally murdered but magically came back to life three days later.  This is the basis upon which you have chosen to rest your worldview.  Staggering intellect there NBTBOJ.  Just staggering.

1 of 4

‹‹ Kristof      DAWKINS HARRIS 08 ››
RSS 2.0     Atom Feed