1 of 2
Plan for Action
Posted: 24 December 2004 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2004-12-21

I see many post by those concerned and alarmed by the intusions by the religious right into everything from the constitution, to the courts, to the wallet, to the bedroom. A mentality of hopelessness and dispair seems to be common. I still maintain the Secular Humanist is the somewhat silent, but predominant religion, no matter which church they attend.

On positive action that can be taken is to become acquainted with American United for the Separation of Church and State - au.org. Maybe even send them some bucks to support the cause.

Better to light one candle than to curse the darkness
(excese the biblical quote)

Blessed Yule

Posted: 24 December 2004 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2004-12-21

I agree. Americans United is highly worthy of support.

Posted: 24 December 2004 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2004-12-21

Wutang:

You said:

Sorry to say, this is not a Bible quote.  It is a shallow and powerful cliche, to be sure, but not from God’s Word (Yo!)

Check it:

Dressed Mule

smile

Posted: 24 December 2004 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1229
Joined  2004-12-22

are you sure its not from gods word?

hmm check the Torah !!

Posted: 25 December 2004 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-12-25

I agree, I am participating in our democracy with my wallet.

Posted: 26 December 2004 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Dressed Mule is quite correct as I cannot find my qupte in the KJ bible - my apolgy. I don’t know where I got it from but I still consider it valid and useful and not shallow at all.

Wotansson

[quote author=“child”]Wutang:

You said:

Sorry to say, this is not a Bible quote.  It is a shallow and powerful cliche, to be sure, but not from God’s Word (Yo!)

Check it:

Dressed Mule

smile

Posted: 26 December 2004 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“Wotansson”]Dressed Mule is quite correct as I cannot find my qupte in the KJ bible - my apolgy. I don’t know where I got it from but I still consider it valid and useful and not shallow at all.

I agree.

Maybe child meant simple rather than shallow?

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 26 December 2004 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

I meant something more like facile—-shallow, as in easy to get to, though I admitted it is powerful.  I like it as far as maxims go.

Posted: 27 December 2004 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

God’s Word, by child

huh?

are we not still trying determine what is “god’s word”, if any, or not?, such as the correct sources of bible passages, or correct translations of the ancient texts

and what about other books, such as the egyptian book of the dead, the vedas, or the koran - are these not also “words of ‘god’” and might they also contain the phase in question by Wotansson? or are we being choosy?

moreover, if we are all children of god, as many “believers” believe, then whatever words we say are, in effect, words of “god” as well

and, Wotansson, maybe Thor or even Tewes said it, which is also a “god’s word”?

- a godly quote nevertheless

Posted: 27 December 2004 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  106
Joined  2004-12-21

[quote author=“fjlomnix”]

God’s Word, by child

huh?

are we not still trying determine what is “god’s word”, if any, or not?, such as the correct sources of bible passages, or correct translations of the ancient texts

and what about other books, such as the egyptian book of the dead, the vedas, or the koran - are these not also “words of ‘god’” and might they also contain the phase in question by Wotansson? or are we being choosy?

moreover, if we are all children of god, as many “believers” believe, then whatever words we say are, in effect, words of “god” as well

and, Wotansson, maybe Thor or even Tewes said it, which is also a “god’s word”?

- a godly quote nevertheless

See my thread here:

http://www.samharris.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

JL

Posted: 27 December 2004 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

from now on, I’ll make sure to mark my sarcasm in bold so that nobody misses it

Posted: 28 December 2004 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2004-12-24

[quote author=“child”]from now on, I’ll make sure to mark my sarcasm in bold so that nobody misses it

It’s understandable that being misunderstood can be annoying, but you can’t blame people for not catching your textual “inflections” as intended—eh?

You have to accept the risk of being misunderstood when you post sentiments that work largely by inflection and expression when communicated live and in person. More importantly, you certainly can’t reasonably blame readers for not assuming such things when there’s no real cue by which to interpret them (and emoticons are pretty crude facsimiles, so they may help, but they certainly don’t eliminate the problem).

Just a note of online diplomacy.

Byron

Signature 

“We say, ‘Love your brother…’ We don’t say it really, but… Well we don’t literally say it. We don’t really, literally mean it. No, we don’t believe it either, but… But that message should be clear.”—David St. Hubbins

Posted: 28 December 2004 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2004-12-23

seems to be a chinese proverb

Posted: 08 January 2005 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-12-26

I was unable to find any website as described in your e-message

Posted: 09 January 2005 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-12-21

Here is the correct URL from my bookmarks

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer

Posted: 05 April 2005 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2005-01-27

Thought I’d revive this topic as it may just be the most important one here. 

We can debate and consider our fascinating ideas and personal opinions forever, but if we never turn our convictions into action, what’s the point? 

I remember Mother Theresa saying once, when asked what she suggested people do to change the world, and she said people should start with making changes at home.  So how about we narrow our goals.  Instead of planning from the start to convert the country away from religion, we could focus on something smaller, say our families or schools, or work to have your thoughts published, if not as a book, then as a newspaper or magazine article or letter to the editor. 

I wrote a short little blurb a couple of weeks ago to the Montreal Gazette in reference to the Salman Rushdie article, “The dangers of believing God is on your side,” and I received two phone calls of support, one from a former Jewish friend of my father’s and some other guy out of the blue, who were both interested in discussing the problems of religion.  I am in the process of organizing a group which I envision working much the way this forum does.  The first meeting is planned two weeks from now. 

Who knows if the group will go anywhere or end up being helpful, but since I’ve been thinking about it for a couple of years now, I take those two phone calls as my encouragement and push to take the risk. 

If you never hear from me again ... send help smile !

Susan

[ Edited: 05 April 2005 03:52 AM by ]
 Signature 

“Believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who find it.”  Andre Gide

1 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed