3 of 3
News Items
Posted: 25 April 2005 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]But I think Christianity has by far the biggest impact of the thing you’ve mentioned. So I think it should be given special treatment, extra time, or whatever.

Of course you do.

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Bottom line is that we as believers have to show the love of Jesus to our fellow man.

Absolutely. When do you think the christian right plans to start doing that?

I don’t have any issue of discussing any religion in a historical context as long as it isn’t edited to hide the unpleasant aspects of that religions influence on history. It’s religious proselytization and recruitment in government institutions that I oppose. And lesson one is, the bible is part of history, but it is NOT a history book.

Posted: 25 April 2005 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2005-04-25

Ok…ok, I’ll take what you’re giving and we’ll savor it. Maybe we can move forward from this point in the future.

One thing, you said: “When do you think the christian right plans to start doing that”

Let me ask you, what has the Christian right not done? Generally, who is out there doing good works? Few people go out of their way to do good works. But Christians are commanded to do so. Who’s out there manning the Salvation Army depots, the Good Wills, the Soup Kitchens, etc. Who’s out there in Africa sweating and freely risking everything to educate and help the downtrodden? Who’s criss crossing South America in old trucks laden down with cloths, rice, food stocks, etc, for the poverty stricken in the 3rd world? Who are all these Priests and Nuns in India and poverty stricken areas of the far east, the middle east, Africa, Eurasia, the 3rd world, and yes….poverty stricken zones within the major cities of the USA? Who are the people doing these things?

Well, not all of them are Christians, but I would say that the vast majority are. But why? “Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven….”

The question is, when are you non believers going to start getting in on the action? You’ve got a tiny fraction out there doing good works and the rest of you send checks. Hey, thanks for the checks, God can’t cash out of state checks in heaven. He needs you…..

(speaking to myself as well…as always)

Signature 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matt 11:28-29

Posted: 25 April 2005 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2005-04-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Let me ask you, what has the Christian right not done?

They have not stopped trying to turn the world into hell on earth for homosexuals or anyone else who doesn’t agree with their world view.

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Generally, who is out there doing good works? Few people go out of their way to do good works. But Christians are commanded to do so. Who’s out there manning the Salvation Army depots, the Good Wills, the Soup Kitchens, etc. Who’s out there in Africa sweating and freely risking everything to educate and help the downtrodden? Who’s criss crossing South America in old trucks laden down with cloths, rice, food stocks, etc, for the poverty stricken in the 3rd world? Who are all these Priests and Nuns in India and poverty stricken areas of the far east, the middle east, Africa, Eurasia, the 3rd world, and yes….poverty stricken zones within the major cities of the USA? Who are the people doing these things?

Well, not all of them are Christians, but I would say that the vast majority are.

The question is, when are you non believers going to start getting in on the action? You’ve got a tiny fraction out there doing good works and the rest of you send checks. Hey, thanks for the checks, God can’t cash out of state checks in heaven. He needs you…..

I don’t know what proportion are christians, either. Perhaps you should scrounge up some evidence before you start patting yourself on the back and throwing stones. People who do those things deserve gratitude for their actions. But I’ve known a lot of christians and very few of them do much more than send checks.

But I don’t see how that mitigates other horrendous behavior. Why do they feel like they have the right to take god’s vengeance into their own hands.

Posted: 26 April 2005 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2957
Joined  2004-12-02

[quote author=“TheChampion”]Generally, who is out there doing good works? Few people go out of their way to do good works. But Christians are commanded to do so. The question is, when are you non believers going to start getting in on the action? You’ve got a tiny fraction out there doing good works and the rest of you send checks. Hey, thanks for the checks, God can’t cash out of state checks in heaven. He needs you…..
(speaking to myself as well…as always)

Champ, I’ve been meaning to ask you this for quite some time.  You’re always beating the drum of good works.  Enlighten us.  Just what do YOU do????

3 of 3

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed