2 of 2
DAWKINS HARRIS 08
Posted: 31 December 2006 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“frankr”]You seem to think of god as some old man who created the universe. It is a childish image of God.

Maybe you could fill us in on your concept of God. If it is not the creator of Judeo-Christian belief who takes a personal interest in our actions then why do we need religions to worship it? If it is merely your explanation for why and how we are here, then there are other, more reasonable explanations.

[quote author=“frankr”]Answer this simple question and maybe you can discern what I mean by saying that the universe points to God but one could never get definitive proof of God’s existence. Could you study a footprint and find in that footprint definitive proof that it was created by a foot.

Again, evidence does not equate to proof. A footprint would not be definitive proof of a foot but it would be good evidence of one. Maybe you could give us some examples of God’s footprint to discuss.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 31 December 2006 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5404
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“frankr”]Answer this simple question and maybe you can discern what I mean by saying that the universe points to God but one could never get definitive proof of God’s existence. Could you study a footprint and find in that footprint definitive proof that it was created by a foot?

Suppose I am Donald Duck, and suppose I’m in a cartoon populated by no sentient characters except cartoon ducks and perhaps a few cartoon squirrels. Further suppose that several of the cartoon ducks are fraudulent duck archaeologists who go around not-so-secretly scooping out patterns in cartoon ground in the shape of cartoon-style human footprints and calling attention to the patterns as evidence of a a “supernatural” human being called a “Cartoonist”. These exploits are well known to the squirrels, who explain this to Donald. Only a plot twist requiring Donald to become an adherent of the Phony Foot Fetish religion would ever compel Donald to believe in an actual “Cartoonist”.

[ Edited: 31 December 2006 06:34 AM by ]
 Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 31 December 2006 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2338
Joined  2006-02-19

I am but a simple duck who has learned over the years not to trust squirrels. They have a nutty agenda.

Posted: 31 December 2006 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27
[quote author=“frankr”]They have a nutty agenda.

:D

The other ducks let you “down”. Feather, forgive them…

Thy quill be done.

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 31 December 2006 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2006-03-23

Take my wife………………please.

You guys are quacking me up.

Posted: 31 December 2006 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-27

Don’t laugh. You haven’t gotten our Bill yet.  rolleyes

I should have used cats in my example, instead of squirrels. I think the cat-and-duck method still works, doesn’t it?

Signature 

INVEST in cynicism!

Posted: 31 December 2006 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2006-03-23

Oh yes.  It’s purrrfect.

Posted: 31 December 2006 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

I refuse to waddle through this nonsense

Posted: 01 January 2007 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-24

While we’re on the subject, Dawkins does inform the readers of The God Delusion that many of the founding fathers were deists and agnostics, without any trace of Christianity. Jefferson was his case in point.

Posted: 06 January 2007 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-01-06

Sam should run for office, oh yeah, i forgot blue laws prohibt atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers from running from office. Oh yeah, this is America year 2007, and unbelief in fairy tales means no civil rights.

Posted: 06 January 2007 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19
[quote author=“PURE,POWERFUL,THINKER”]Sam should run for office, oh yeah, i forgot blue laws prohibt atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers from running from office. Oh yeah, this is America year 2007, and unbelief in fairy tales means no civil rights.

What civil rights has he been denied? He can run for for office. If we do not elect crackpots does that mean their civil rights are denied?

Posted: 06 January 2007 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  467
Joined  2006-04-16

Does Donald Duck have anything to do with the Web?
Our country isn’t ready to elect an atheist. They’d rather vote for a guy who follows scriptures read out of a hat.

Posted: 06 January 2007 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-01-06

“What civil rights has he been denied? He can run for for office. If we do not elect crackpots does that mean their civil rights are denied?

I watched a documentary on youtube about blue laws, and it’s fact that Atheists cannot hold office because they won’t swear oaths. This is a travesty. Women have been able to vote for a hundred years, but a freethinker is forbidden from using knowledge to help his country.

Posted: 06 January 2007 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-19

[quote author=“PURE,POWERFUL,THINKER”]
I watched a documentary on youtube about blue laws, and it’s fact that Atheists cannot hold office because they won’t swear oaths. This is a travesty. Women have been able to vote for a hundred years, but a freethinker is forbidden from using knowledge to help his country.

Well, if you got it from youtube then it has to be true. I’m glad you are on the other side.

2 of 2

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed