3 of 4
10 Reasons For Apostasy on Christmas: Inspired by Sam's book
Posted: 13 January 2007 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“FaixaPreta”][quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Your prophecy is hillarious actually.  You draw comparison between that and Biblical prophecy?  Tell me the exact date and time I will be removed from this forum, down to the nanosecond, and that might validate your argument.  You know those were made 800-1200 YEARS before they happened.  How do you explain that exact luck???  About as probable to be luck as us coming from nothingness.

I couldn’t help but noticed that you didn’t bother to even attempt an answer to the relevant question: Why should I believe in god? Typical faith-head.

Can you argue with the prophecy?  Tell me, is this luck?  You won’t ever believe in God unless he calls you, but I do pray that He will.  I could show you the nail scars on the hands of Jesus and you would not believe.  You may be here to witness the rapture and you will find some way to explain away as just a weird happenstance in science.

Posted: 13 January 2007 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

One more question to.  Since I have read Harris and Dawkins, Hume and Darwin, what books have you read that are apologetic about Creationism that so convinced you to believe the opposite.  I want compelling evidence now.

Give me compelling, 100% without a doubt evidence that God doesn’t exist.  You can’t.  Just as I can’t give you 100% evidence that He does exist, except to tell you that He lives inside of me.  Maybe he will call upon you someday.  I sure pray that He will.

Posted: 13 January 2007 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2006-03-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Can you argue with the prophecy?  Tell me, is this luck?  You won’t ever believe in God unless he calls you, but I do pray that He will.  I could show you the nail scars on the hands of Jesus and you would not believe.  You may be here to witness the rapture and you will find some way to explain away as just a weird happenstance in science.

Yeah.  The rapture will occur about the same time Santa lands on my roof.  You worship a fairy tale my friend.  You can quote the Bible until you’re blue in the face just as I can quote Mother Goose.  The evidence for God/Jesus and Santa is the same.

Once again you’ve ignored the relevant question.

[ Edited: 13 January 2007 04:33 PM by ]

Posted: 13 January 2007 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

No, once again YOU HAVE ignored the relevant question.  How can you argue with prophecy that is fulfilled to such a fine degree of accuracy? 

Lets hear some fulfilled prophecies from 800 years ago about Santa.  Absolutely no water in your argument.  It really falls right in between delusion and denial.

Posted: 13 January 2007 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

[quote author=“FaixaPreta”][quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Can you argue with the prophecy?  Tell me, is this luck?  You won’t ever believe in God unless he calls you, but I do pray that He will.  I could show you the nail scars on the hands of Jesus and you would not believe.  You may be here to witness the rapture and you will find some way to explain away as just a weird happenstance in science.

Yeah.  The rapture will occur about the same time Santa lands on my roof.  You worship a fairy tale my friend.  You can quote the Bible until you’re blue in the face just as I can quote Mother Goose.  The evidence for God/Jesus and Santa is the same.

Once again you’ve ignored the relevant question.

Back and forth, back and forth….............

A rough paraphrase of two poems by Jalauddin Rumi, the 13th century sufi teacher and poet.

Crosses and Christians, end to end I examined
He was not on the Cross
I went to the Kabba, that ancient place
and did not find Him
Resolutely, I travelled to the ends of the Earth,
He was not to be found
I went to the temple of the fire worshipper
He was not there.
I looked into my own heart
In that, His place, I found Him
He was in no other place.

Love and fancy are the greatest magicians
Together they raise up before you the phantom of the Beloved
You are enraptured with it and tell it all of your secrets
Lo, the rapture wrought by Love.
It is like a mother, crying at the grave of her child, newly dead.
See how she weeps, see how her tears flow
see how she talks to him and presses her lips again and again
to the fresh earth of the grave
as, while he yet lived, she never pressed them
to the face of the son who was so dear to her. 
But love for the dead does not last
in a few weeks her sorrow will have gone
the fire is out and only ashes remain.

Posted: 13 January 2007 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2006-12-04

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]
Give me compelling, 100% without a doubt evidence that God doesn’t exist.  You can’t.  Just as I can’t give you 100% evidence that He does exist, except to tell you that He lives inside of me.  Maybe he will call upon you someday.  I sure pray that He will.

This however, does not mean there’s a 50/50 chance either way.  I am glad for you that He inside of you.  If he calls upon me, I suppose I’ll hear him calling from your small intestines.  And as you “pray” that he does, please remember to sacrifice a goat or a virgin.  It will be just as effective.

Signature 

“The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray.”
          — Robert G. Ingersoll

Posted: 13 January 2007 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-23

[quote author=“HappyHeathen”]Thanks, FaixaPreta.

I was so blown away by the preposterousness of this poster’s posts, I was speechless.

I feel your pain.  NBTBOJ is one who favors the shotgun approach to argument.  Fire off a plethora of loosely related topics, hoping something sticks while completely ignoring the a priori supposition(s). 

Why would someone write that the cow jumped over the moon if it didn’t really happen?  :D

[ Edited: 13 January 2007 09:41 PM by ]

Posted: 13 January 2007 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Give me compelling, 100% without a doubt evidence that God doesn’t exist.  You can’t.  Just as I can’t give you 100% evidence that He does exist, except to tell you that He lives inside of me.  Maybe he will call upon you someday.  I sure pray that He will.

Santa exists and my only proof is that He lives inside of me.  But you can trust me because I really really believe and I’ve seen the evidence.  I can actually feel His presence. If you don’t believe me then you must give me 100% proof that Santa doesn’t exist.

Do you see how childish your argument is NBTBOJ?  This is how you come you across to people who haven’t been infected with the Jesus virus.

How about attempting to view the world through our eyes?  Try to imagine if you will, that almost everyone you deal with in your day to day life, believes in the metaphysics of Santa Clause.  Their life ambition is to not end up on the naughty list.  Elf culture is everywhere, including politics.  People are genuinely taken aback if they discover that you are not a “believer” and they tell you they will pray for you . It’s hard to fathom sometimes just how delusional your neighbors truly are.  This is what it’s like to be an atheist in today’s Christian America.

We don’t believe in God for the same reason you don’t believe in Santa Clause NBTBOJ. Both are absurd descriptions of the universe and the evidence for both is the same. We’re very thankful people like Harris and Dawkins have finally brought the issue to prominence.

Posted: 14 January 2007 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]2 Sam 21:8 says ...together with the 5 sons of Sauls daughter MERAB

I guess you think the names Michal and Merab are the same huh?

It was nice of the NIV editors to fix that little problem in 1965. I suppose the people who put together the King James version in 1611 were working off the wrong Hebrew transcript.
[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]No, once again YOU HAVE ignored the relevant question.  How can you argue with prophecy that is fulfilled to such a fine degree of accuracy?

So far you have failed to offer any collaborating evidence that your Bible is 100% accurate. Even your claim that man originated near the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers doesn’t correlate with accepted scientific theory. Please don’t refer back to the Bible for proof since every version was written long after the events occurred and you cannot show that the NT authors were not influenced by the OT.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 14 January 2007 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

Okay SamHarris.org forum users.  I can understand completely why you don’t want a person like me coming to your forum.  I certainly didn’t want to come here with any maliciousnous towards your beliefs, and if I was, then I owe everyone an apology. 

I will leave the forum, as I suspect all of you want me to.  I want to leave you with this though, and it’s not an argument for Christianity, nor is it an attack against atheism.

My beliefs teach us to love others, not to hate.  And whether you feel that the God of the OT is a “malelovant bully” or not makes no difference here.  I understand you are firmly routed in whatever it is you see as most probable, but I only ask that you not put forth your idealogy on other people with such intellectual assent that you call the “elite.”  It comes across as extremely arrogant, and not unlike Rush Limbaugh, Bill O’reilly, and Michael Moore, the extreme sides of both ends of an argument, whether a political party, or reason vs. faith, get us nowhere.  I cannot stand listening to Bill O’reilly, even though I am a conservative.  He is an elitist control freak on his show, and he will cut you off so fast that you won’t even be able to set forth your opinion.

The Sam Harris interview with him was actually very good for Sam.  His calm, tender nature about him is at the very least heart felt. 

Thank you for the opportunity to post here, although I am not wanted.  I appreciate your rebuttals. 

If there is one thing that you can take from Christianity it is this:  “Love your neighbor as yourself.”  And while you will make arguments on how we contradict this in the Bible, etc etc, this is what all true Christians believe.

We are called to love. 

Thank you again.

Posted: 14 January 2007 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]Okay SamHarris.org forum users.  I can understand completely why you don’t want a person like me coming to your forum.  I certainly didn’t want to come here with any maliciousnous towards your beliefs, and if I was, then I owe everyone an apology. 

I will leave the forum, as I suspect all of you want me to.  I want to leave you with this though, and it’s not an argument for Christianity, nor is it an attack against atheism.

Only 21 posts and you’re giving up already? The last apologist made it to 500 posts before bailing out. If you feel unwanted here all I can say is don’t take it personally. It’s not you we don’t like, just your arguments. After all, you didn’t come here expecting anyone to accept your assertion that the Bible is 100% accurate without question, did you?

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 14 January 2007 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1243
Joined  2006-12-26

Next time, consider for example your username.

Are you fascinated by gore?

Do you get an emotional kick out of torture?

Why should we respect blood&torture; worship in this world, as your username suggests we should do?

Posted: 14 January 2007 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2006-12-16

Wonderful to encounter Rumi in the middle of this….
Burt, could you give me a reference for the poems you quoted? Might be something good for the Islam thread.

Posted: 14 January 2007 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“arildno”]Next time, consider for example your username.

Are you fascinated by gore?

Do you get an emotional kick out of torture?

Why should we respect blood&torture; worship in this world, as your username suggests we should do?

Absolutely not.  Its an old gospel hymn, but I am sure you know that.  Yeah, I get an emotional kick out of torture.  Of course not, as you know, we believe that the blood of Jesus is what saves us.  No not literally the “blood” of Jesus, but His sacrifice.  You have to know that we believe that His sacrifice is what saves us, and I would expect you know that my username is a song.

Posted: 14 January 2007 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2927
Joined  2006-12-17

[quote author=“Pat_Adducci”]Wonderful to encounter Rumi in the middle of this….
Burt, could you give me a reference for the poems you quoted? Might be something good for the Islam thread.

The first poem was quoted in one of Idries Shah’s books, I think it was The Sufis, but am not 100% sure about that.  The second was in a set of translations by Nicolson (I think his initials are R.A.) that I came across about 25 years ago and copied out.  Apologies for my poor recall.

3 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed