4 of 4
10 Reasons For Apostasy on Christmas: Inspired by Sam's book
Posted: 24 January 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-10-30

nothingbutthebloodofjesus:
SA2 6:23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

SA2 21:8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite
==================================

Regarding the Bible and the New Testament, you have to look at the works of the historian Geza Vermes.

As far as the Bible goes, it has eliminated 2000 years from Jewish history.

The Jews fell asleep. I had to exit to wake up.

Posted: 24 January 2007 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]You see, you tell me these stories about the use of condoms in Africa being condemned by Christians, when in fact it is the Catholic Church only that does this.  And you say, aren’t those one in the same?  No they are not.  Some Catholics are Christians, but it is hard for me to endorse a church that makes claims like this.  And if you do some comparative religion, you will find some fundamental differences in the Catholic faith and the Christian faith.  The belief in a need for the Pope and the belief in the need to pray to Mary is not biblical. 

The thing that really gets me about atheism is that the vast majority of you group Christianity in with every other faith that exists out there.  This is the first err of your ways.

If it’s all so clear and all, how did the Catholics get it wrong?  Or for that matter, the several thousand sects of Christianity which consider YOURS to be equally deluded. 

We won’t even go into the majority of non-Christians on earth.

(Edited to correct a typo.)

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

(Dryden, St. Euremont’s Essays, 1692.)

Posted: 24 January 2007 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]
1500 years, 40 authors, 60 books on one single subject.  Christ.  And none of it contradicts itself.  Its amazing to me how you can read the Book of Daniel and not see that this is the keyhole to all biblical prophesy, and that the remarkable accuracy, 100% accurate in fact, of the prophesy in the book can be written by an uninspired human without the hand of God involved.

Well, I tried to read the Book of Daniel but at usual got caught up in the boring irrationality of it all.  I liked the repetition of “the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick,” though.  You gotta love that King’s English.

Please, if you’re still around (I realize I’m coming to this discussion late and you may indeed be gone), pick out just one prophecy in Daniel that has been fulfilled.

Signature 

“I will tell you with the utmost impudence that I esteem much more his Person, than his Works.”

Posted: 24 January 2007 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23
[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]No not literally the “blood” of Jesus, but His sacrifice.  You have to know that we believe that His sacrifice is what saves us, and I would expect you know that my username is a song.

I guess you didn’t see The Passion.

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2007 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“made_maka”][quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]
1500 years, 40 authors, 60 books on one single subject.  Christ.  And none of it contradicts itself.  Its amazing to me how you can read the Book of Daniel and not see that this is the keyhole to all biblical prophesy, and that the remarkable accuracy, 100% accurate in fact, of the prophesy in the book can be written by an uninspired human without the hand of God involved.

Well, I tried to read the Book of Daniel but at usual got caught up in the boring irrationality of it all.  I liked the repetition of “the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick,” though.  You gotta love that King’s English.

Please, if you’re still around (I realize I’m coming to this discussion late and you may indeed be gone), pick out just one prophecy in Daniel that has been fulfilled.

And the softball is thrown.  That is without a doubt the easiest question to answer.  In fact, Daniel is so accurate, that some liberals have long stated that the book was written after the events occured, even though we have dated copies of Daniel 200 years before Christ was born.  You of all people should know how accurate dating methods are.

Heres an example, and it is simply stunning the accuracy.

Daniel 9:25
A most compelling Biblical Prophecy is found in Daniel, chapter 9, verse 25. Written 500 years before the birth of Jesus Christ (the oldest preserved copy dating 200 years before the birth of Christ), it foretells the very day Christ would enter Jerusalem. The prophecy states: 69 weeks of years (69 x 7 = 483 years) would pass from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem, until the coming of the Messiah. This is according to the Babylonian 360-day calendar, since Daniel was written in Babylon during the Jewish captivity after the fall of Jerusalem. Thus, 483 years x 360 days = 173,880 days. According to records found by Sir Henry Creswicke Rawlinson in the Shushan (Susa) Palace, and confirmed in Nehemiah 2:1, this decree was made on March 14th, 445 BC, by Artaxerxes Longimanus. Exactly 173,880 days later, on April 6th, 32 AD, Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem upon a colt (fulfilling the prophecy in Zechariah 9:9). The world celebrates this day as Palm Sunday. Four days later, Christ was murdered upon the cross. Actually, the form of His execution and even His last words were foretold in Psalm 22. Three days later, Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, fulfilling numerous other prophecies of our Messiah.

Posted: 25 January 2007 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

Please let us know which version of the Bible you got your prophecy from. Was that the NIV written in the 1970’s or the King James Version written in the 1600’s? If you’re referring to the original Hebrew version, there appears to be significant disagreement on what this passage exactly means.

I would also like to see you substantiate the claim that the decree was made on March 14, 445 BC. Most scholars can seem to agree on which year major events occurred 2,000 years ago, much less the exact day when someone said something.

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 25 January 2007 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”][quote author=“made_maka”]

And the softball is thrown.

Please.  Even the favorable interpretations of this are full of assumptions, “we might assume"s, “surely it can be said"s, and so on.  They don’t even agree on what other part of the same book ought to be used in interpretation/confirmation.

Also note that the datings of “Jesus” (assuming he was a single historical figure, doubtful in itself) aren’t at all certain.

Signature 

Posted: 25 January 2007 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“made_maka”][quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”][quote author=“made_maka”]

And the softball is thrown.

Please.  Even the favorable interpretations of this are full of assumptions, “we might assume"s, “surely it can be said"s, and so on.  They don’t even agree on what other part of the same book ought to be used in interpretation/confirmation.

Also note that the datings of “Jesus” (assuming he was a single historical figure, doubtful in itself) aren’t at all certain.

It wouldn’t matter if you saw the piercing in Jesus’ side or the nail scars on his hands, you would still turn away.  So what do you think I need to prove to you?  I know He lives within me.  Somebody is right, somebody is wrong.  What do I have to lose if I am wrong?  Absolutely nothing.  But what do you have to lose if you are wrong?  Absolutely everything. 

There is a reason that most Biblical scholars and theologians call Daniel “the keyhole to all Biblical prophey.”  You can choose to deny it, which you do, but its almost laughable the amount of evidence you claim we don’t have, that we actually do.  Scholars disagree on the meaning of texts in the Bible, of course, but no true Christian will disagree with anything that is fundamental to being a beliver(i.e. The Trinity, crucifixion, resurrection)

I don’t want to argue, but I do care for you and everyone on this site.  I pray that your heart will be pricked to the truth.  Because no matter what we disagree on, both of us can’t be right.  I will not deny my Savior.  But I hope you will accept Him.

Posted: 25 January 2007 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2006-08-12

I know He lives within me.  Somebody is right, somebody is wrong.  What do I have to lose if I am wrong?  Absolutely nothing.  But what do you have to lose if you are wrong?  Absolutely everything. 

This is incorrect.  I think it was Bertrand Russell who pointed out that it is possible that God exisits but that God values skepticism over all else and will grant a future in Heaven only to those who refuse to believe in Him.  Weird idea, but I don’t see how it can be refuted.

Posted: 25 January 2007 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-12

[quote author=“dthuleen”][quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]
I know He lives within me.  Somebody is right, somebody is wrong.  What do I have to lose if I am wrong?  Absolutely nothing.  But what do you have to lose if you are wrong?  Absolutely everything. 

This is incorrect.  I think it was Bertrand Russell who pointed out that it is possible that God exisits but that God values skepticism over all else and will grant a future in Heaven only to those who refuse to believe in Him.  Weird idea, but I don’t see how it can be refuted.

That makes sense.  So all the people here on earth that are doing His will, witnessing and trying to be a light in a dark world will never see Heaven, but of course you guys will.  So what should I do?  Should I be telling everyone around me that you shouldn’t believe in God?  “Hey, I know you believe in God(so do I by the way, and Jesus His Son), but I heard this obscure quote from Bertrand Russell saying that the only way we will get to heaven is to deny Him.  So, I know you believe, but you should stop.”

Does that sound about right?  It amazes me how truly ignorant that smart people can be.

Posted: 26 January 2007 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2006-08-16

[quote author=“nothingbutthebloodofjesus”]It amazes me how truly ignorant that smart people can be.

And yet you are ignorant of Pascal’s Flaw .

Signature 

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire

“Rational arguments do not work on religious people, otherwise there would be no religious people.”—Dr. House

Posted: 26 January 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-23

It wouldn’t matter if you saw the piercing in Jesus’ side or the nail scars on his hands, you would still turn away.

Actually I could be persuaded by that - done under proper rules of course.

So what do you think I need to prove to you?

I don’t know.  It seems important to you - shouldn’t you be telling me?

Pascal wrote this wager quite a while ago.  Actually I have a lot to lose - my brain, most of the facts, and my sense of integrity.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2007 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  414
Joined  2006-02-01

Oh dear. How many times can the ‘it’s true ‘cos it says so in the Bible’ argument be delivered?

Look, Ms Bloodjesus, to faithless sceptics such as ourselves,  a prophecy given early on in the Bible and fulfilled later on in the Bible means very little in terms of irrefutable historical fact, but rather a lot in terms of, for instance, the fellers writing the later bits wanting to make it look like their particular Messiah was the one in the prophesy.

Clearly you think the most plausible explanation as to how certain parts of a book (sometimes) (loosely) match other parts is that the Creator of the Universe is intimately involved in the entire process. How else could such a miraculous and arcane mystery be explained? Unfortunately, most of the people who visit these boards take the more prosaic view that, as in a lot of books, someone just made a bunch of stuff up.

Signature 

All Christians should be sent to heaven immediately.

4 of 4

RSS 2.0     Atom Feed